Gp100 cleaning?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Gp100 cleaning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 282 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Gp100 cleaning?

I just took my Ruger apart for the first time and im wondering how often or how many rounds should i take it apart and clean the revolver? I shoot jacketed ammo and i usually shoot a couple hundred rounds through this handgun every week. I dont know if calling it a "field strip" is the right choice of words but it was something ive never done before and wanted to try it out for my self. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

That's great that you took an interest in the internals of your revolver, but there's only so much that needs attention on one. So long as the bore is shiny and the there's no carbon build up anywhere in the cylinder and around the pin it should be fine. If you got down into the trigger assembly I doubt that you saw much to clean. You can always spray a little remoil or the like at the base of the hammer and work it in I guess.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-10-2012, 10:33 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I don't take mine apart (except to remove the grip). I just clean the cylinder bores and the barrel. Every time I shoot.

Ruger LC9 carry
Springfield XD(m) 5.25 9mm
Springfield XD(m) 3.8" 9mm compact
S&W M&P 22
S&W M&P 9
Various black powder and collector guns

Old 02-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7104 Times on 4275 Posts
Likes Given: 8617

I don;t take mine apart, either. I remove the grips and clean it like that. I run a jag with patches through each chamber in the cylinder and the bore. I keep running patches until they are clean, then I run dry patches. I clean the outside of the cylinder and gun with cleaner, too.

I was under the impression it isn't good to take a revolver apart as it could ruin the timing of the cylinder. Someone who knows more will be along soon.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5720 Times on 3234 Posts
Likes Given: 5149

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfrid View Post
I don't take mine apart (except to remove the grip). I just clean the cylinder bores and the barrel. Every time I shoot.
I strip mine and thoroughly clean every time it's fired. Even if it's only one round.

Remember what your D.I. said.

"Take care of your weapon and your weapon will take care of you."

yeah, it's still true today!

Winston Churchill

Old 02-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #6

I do the normal cleaning with the cylinder and barrel and normal cleaning of the surface every time im done at the range. I was asking more of the internal parts and how to clean them? Im not taking the trigger assy apart because that looks to me like a lot of little parts and im not looking forward to taking that apart. Just the main groups as they come out with the takedown. Thanks. And its really not as hard as i thought it was gonna be.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8861 Times on 3838 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

For a start, what does your owner's manual say? (And if you don't HAVE one, go to the Ruger website and download one)

In GENERAL, revolvers are not disassembled for routine cleaning, and do not need it. In the case of very old revolvers, dried lube, etc, use a bit of spray Gunscrubber with the little red straw attachment. Drop of two of lube. Main cleaning concern is bore, forcing cone, cylinder, underside of top strap.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #8

All it says is apply periodically in the openings. Just wondering if there is another way? Thanks.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #9

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have had a GP100 for many years. You don't need to take your pistol apart to be able to clean it thoroughly. Just clean the bore, cylinder assembly and frame after each use and you will be fine. I see no reason under usual shooting conditions to take the trigger mechanism apart for cleaning. Q-tips work great for cleaning small areas.