Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Revolver Handguns (
-   -   Gp100 cleaning? (

fupuk 02-10-2012 10:55 PM

Gp100 cleaning?
I just took my Ruger apart for the first time and im wondering how often or how many rounds should i take it apart and clean the revolver? I shoot jacketed ammo and i usually shoot a couple hundred rounds through this handgun every week. I dont know if calling it a "field strip" is the right choice of words but it was something ive never done before and wanted to try it out for my self. Thanks

Cattledog 02-10-2012 11:17 PM

That's great that you took an interest in the internals of your revolver, but there's only so much that needs attention on one. So long as the bore is shiny and the there's no carbon build up anywhere in the cylinder and around the pin it should be fine. If you got down into the trigger assembly I doubt that you saw much to clean. You can always spray a little remoil or the like at the base of the hammer and work it in I guess.

rsfrid 02-10-2012 11:33 PM

I don't take mine apart (except to remove the grip). I just clean the cylinder bores and the barrel. Every time I shoot.

winds-of-change 02-10-2012 11:55 PM

I don;t take mine apart, either. I remove the grips and clean it like that. I run a jag with patches through each chamber in the cylinder and the bore. I keep running patches until they are clean, then I run dry patches. I clean the outside of the cylinder and gun with cleaner, too.

I was under the impression it isn't good to take a revolver apart as it could ruin the timing of the cylinder. Someone who knows more will be along soon.

locutus 02-10-2012 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by rsfrid (Post 705004)
I don't take mine apart (except to remove the grip). I just clean the cylinder bores and the barrel. Every time I shoot.

I strip mine and thoroughly clean every time it's fired. Even if it's only one round.

Remember what your D.I. said.

"Take care of your weapon and your weapon will take care of you."

yeah, it's still true today!:p

fupuk 02-11-2012 12:12 AM

I do the normal cleaning with the cylinder and barrel and normal cleaning of the surface every time im done at the range. I was asking more of the internal parts and how to clean them? Im not taking the trigger assy apart because that looks to me like a lot of little parts and im not looking forward to taking that apart. Just the main groups as they come out with the takedown. Thanks. And its really not as hard as i thought it was gonna be.

c3shooter 02-11-2012 12:22 AM

For a start, what does your owner's manual say? (And if you don't HAVE one, go to the Ruger website and download one)

In GENERAL, revolvers are not disassembled for routine cleaning, and do not need it. In the case of very old revolvers, dried lube, etc, use a bit of spray Gunscrubber with the little red straw attachment. Drop of two of lube. Main cleaning concern is bore, forcing cone, cylinder, underside of top strap.

fupuk 02-11-2012 12:38 AM

All it says is apply periodically in the openings. Just wondering if there is another way? Thanks.

BlueTurf 02-12-2012 05:03 PM

I have had a GP100 for many years. You don't need to take your pistol apart to be able to clean it thoroughly. Just clean the bore, cylinder assembly and frame after each use and you will be fine. I see no reason under usual shooting conditions to take the trigger mechanism apart for cleaning. Q-tips work great for cleaning small areas.