GP100 Bobbed Hammer - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > GP100 Bobbed Hammer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5737 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Please help educate me. What is wrong with a full size DAO revolver?
What is the advantage of DAO in a full-size (thus harder to conceal) revolver? I think that is the issue/question. It isn't as likely to be a concealed carry piece, particularly not in a pocket or other snag-aplenty environment, so why limit it to double action ONLY.

Only reason comes to my mind is to prevent rookie/trainee ND's that might get caused by them cocking the hammer as some kind of warning or prep step to shooting. Many of the old police S&W revolvers that I've seen online for sale on the cheap had the same modification. I think this may have been one of the selling points of Glocks to the police, a simple operation with no half-way's.

I'm not a rookie cop facing the possibility of hostile fire on limited training and coffee; I like having the option of using that external hammer to reduce the trigger pull weight for target shooting.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 317 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 140

WOC : Ruger revolvers have many strong points but the triggers are not among them. A good gunsmith can remedy this (Bowen Classic Arms) but you will pay for it.

I have never had an issue with snagging (w my J-frame) but due to Murphy's Law, I concede it "is" a possability. DAO: With training, skill or natural aptitude, you can master a long, hard trigger pull.

I just don't understand why someone would desire to limit themselves when it is not necessary.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5737 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
I just don't understand why someone would desire to limit themselves when it is not necessary.
I'm betting the beat cops carrying these didn't make the decision to bob them; it was probably paranoid administrators hoping to dodge a bad shoot.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:41 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 317 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I'm betting the beat cops carrying these didn't make the decision to bob them; it was probably paranoid administrators hoping to dodge a bad shoot.
A long time ago, I seem to recall someone laying the blame on lawyers. The arguement was based or revolved around the "intent" of the shooter. If the hammer was cocked prior to shooting, then the shooter's intent was deliberate. Maybe even premeditated or why else would he have cocked the hammer in the first place ? (Forget about accuracy & reality for a moment - this is about a lawyer "working" a jury.)

Since single action is a significantly lighter pull, the discharge may have been accidental or maybe even negligent in a tense situation.

Double action was not given the same level of scrunity. Allegedly, experts were called in to determine if the shot was SA or DA based on depth of primer strike. (Not even sure it's possible)

To remove the possibility of litigation, hammers were bobbed to make SA fire impossible.

Then again, this may just be an urban myth. I live in New England and as Mark Twain once said, "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."