Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   GP100 Ammo (newb) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/gp100-ammo-newb-83413/)

imdaveg 02-05-2013 02:22 AM

GP100 Ammo (newb)

Hey All,

Kind of a newb so sorry if the lingo isn't down yet.

I'm picking up my first firearm on Thursday. A Ruger GP100 for home defense and range shooting. Is there a thread specifically for the GP100?

Didn't make much sense to bring it home and not have ammo to use with it so I grabbed a box today. But, like most everywhere else, the selection is very limited right now.

All I could get were some Federal Premium 38 special +P that I was told would be good for home.

Questions:
Are these okay for a GP100?
Are they good quality?
What does the +P mean?
What would you recommend for this gun (both home and practice)?
Lastly, I'm trying to find a good home defense ammo. Something that suits my reason (taking the fool down), but also makes my wife feel safe (unlikely to penetrate walls - where the kids sleep).

Thanks all. Already enjoying learning about all this. I can't wait to break in the new gun!
daveg

mdauben 02-05-2013 02:30 AM

Congratulations! The GP100 is a fine gun and a great choice for HD

The .38spl you bought will work fine in your gun. Lots of people like to use .38 ammo in .357 guns due to less recoil and muzzle flash.

The +P means "plus pressure" and signifies ammo loaded to higher pressure than "normal" round. This gives a bit more velocity and power. A .38spl +P round is still less powerful than a full power .357 round so it will be no problem in a gun as tough as the GP100.

Federal ammo is considered top notch so no problems there. As far as a good choice for HD that .38 +P you have is actually not a bad choice. The "gold standard" for .357 ammo is probably the 125gr JHP which has a long history as a grat man stopper. Some people do like the heavier 158gr loads, too. These full power .357 round can produce a lot of noise and muzzle flash, especially in enclosed spaces.

One thing to be very aware of is that ANY reliable self defense ammo will go through interior walls with enough power left to fatally wound another person. You need to always be aware of what's behind your target in case you miss.

imdaveg 02-05-2013 04:08 AM

Thanks daub. I was worried I got something lame because it was all they had. My wife and I both plan to take the handgun safety course as well as a home defense class. Was pretty sure anything over a 22 would go through a wall after a hit, but was just curious as to what may be out there. But, I don't plan on missing. :) I have a couple cop friends too that I hope can prepare me for a needed defense, how to react, when to shoot, etc. Until then, I'll keep praying for protection and know that I least I have good aim and the Rug by my side.

robocop10mm 02-05-2013 04:35 AM

Residential construction does not stop bullets very well. Generally you want a light bullet to minimize over penetration. 110 - 125 gr bullets are just the ticket. 158 -180 gr will penetrate much more.

The GP100 is a tough revolver capable of a fairly regular diet of even the most vicious, hard hitting Magnum ammo.

ninjatoth 02-05-2013 04:52 AM

What is the barrel length on the GP100 you are getting?The barrel length may affect what ammo you should use.

imdaveg 02-05-2013 04:57 AM

4" barrel. Figured it was a good mix of power and accuracy.

austin92 02-05-2013 05:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd trust my life with nothing else

imdaveg 02-05-2013 06:14 AM

Thanks Austin! I'll put them on the list to try out. If I can find some. Don't know about everywhere else but unless you're shooting 22 shorts, you can't find much of anything in CA...

austin92 02-05-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imdaveg
Thanks Austin! I'll put them on the list to try out. If I can find some. Don't know about everywhere else but unless you're shooting 22 shorts, you can't find much of anything in CA...

No problem. Horniday definitely puts out some top notch product. The best factory ammo IMHO

winds-of-change 02-05-2013 07:51 AM

Here's a thread for you to look through. You made a good choice and a great decision to take a couple classes. Enjoy your new revolver.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/gp100-opinions-80163/