GP-100 vs M60 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

GP-100 vs M60

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 02:58 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
if you want the best revolver colt python is the best 357 out there.
I dunno about that Jon. My stainless Colt Anaconda .44mag is pretty darn sweet! They don't produce revolvers of this quality any longer. Yeah, you could add maybe 2 Smith's or Rugers to your collection for the price of one Colt snake. But you better believe there's a reason why these pistols are worth at least twice what they sold for new. I'm probably gonna add the blued Python to my collection when I find one well taken care of at the right price. Sooner or later Mr./Mrs. uninformed is gonna wanna sell their heirloom Python to get some new nylon. I'll be circling the boat like Jaws! Oh yeah, I'll be waiting
To the OP: I have a Ruger wheelgun (two if you count my Vaquero). I would probably go with the M60 just based upon fit and finish IMO. Ruger's aren't exactly renowned for their trigger's out of the box. I had to do extensive trigger work to mine to get the action decent. I would buy it again if the price was right but I'd probably look at a Smith first.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:54 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
for me if you only gonna have one revolver better be a good one. the python is the only revolver i have ive fired quite a few varous ones but ive only ever liked the python.
Wow. . . what have you fired from the Smith line? And what were the features that set the Python out so far from the rest?

I can see falling in love with a gun and therefore "having" to get it, but to say that you fired "quite a few various" Smiths and not liked a one is peculiar?

Old 02-08-2011, 02:27 AM   #23

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I've fired quite a few Smiths, I find the factory grips to be uncomfortable. Although I did shoot one Model 15, I think, that was Sweet. I need to shoot my cousins Python again. Her Diamondback is very nice as I remember.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:30 AM   #24

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

That said tho, GP100 vs Model 60 is apples and watermelons. As well compare a CJ7 and an F150. Big heavy ride against a stubby little gutbucket.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:15 AM   #25

I also find the stock Smith Grips uncomfortable. It can really make a difference when shooting a full tilt .357 load. Between the most current Smith (a 686+ with CT laser grips) and the latest Ruger GP100, both with 4" barrels and both purchased within the last 3 months I much prefer the GP100. I personally do not notice the trigger pull difference nearly as much as I notice the harsh grips on the Smith. Shooting the same ammo on the same day, all three of us (me and the two who had just bought the guns) shot the Ruger much more accurately. The one with the Smith put it away early as we all enjoyed shooting the Ruger more. I did not pay SUPER close attention to the finish, but they seemed pretty equal to me. In my case, factor in the price and the Ruger would win hands down.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:48 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I shot a 686+ today. What a gun. I like it. I shot .357 loads so I know what the kick is like.

The only other revolver they had for rent was an SP-101. But they had plenty of Glocks.

Hopefully, I will be making a purchase this month. I'm waiting for some freakin' money to come through. Bureaucracy sucks.

It was back in '32 and times were hard. He had a Colt 45 and a deck of cards; Stagger Lee

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. —Thomas Jefferson

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States. Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution. --CA357

Old 02-16-2011, 11:33 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, I just put a 686+ 4" on layaway at Bud's.

Nothing like waiting for something you really want.

It was back in '32 and times were hard. He had a Colt 45 and a deck of cards; Stagger Lee

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States. Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution. --CA357

Old 02-17-2011, 12:54 AM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Good Move!

I love to hear when a shooter makes an educated, well thought out, quality decision.

You really will appreciate this one and be glad you waited. . . can't wait to see it!

Old 02-17-2011, 02:40 AM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Good Move!

I love to hear when a shooter makes an educated, well thought out, quality decision.

You really will appreciate this one and be glad you waited. . . can't wait to see it!
+1, you made a great choice

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 02-17-2011, 05:32 AM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

I'm already looking at Hogue grips for it. Don't know if it's square or round butt. I think it's round. Confusing data. Does anyone know?

Reading stuff like this from the S&W forum...

Quote:
If the grip covers the bottom third of the backstrap, it's a round-butt.
And...

Quote:
Re: looking at backstraps--I just remembered that if the backstrap is completely covered (i.e. one of the new Hogue X-frame grips, or a set of Pachmayrs or Uncle Mikes, or whatever) then looking at the backstrap won't help in determining RB vs. SB. The serial number would help in this case...of course the one sure way to tell is to pull off the grips and look.

Last edited by bleak23; 02-17-2011 at 05:47 AM.

Newest Threads