GP-100 vs M60 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > GP-100 vs M60

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Just a little note-You can buy a GP100 in a 5" barrel too,it's a dealer exclusive,I been looking at one,it looks balanced.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 01-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
Just a little note-You can buy a GP100 in a 5" barrel too,it's a dealer exclusive,I been looking at one,it looks balanced.
In about 2 weeks I will receive delivery of a rare 5" M60 from many moons ago.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default GP-100 vs 686

How about the Smith and Wesson 686?

It is about the same weight of a GP100. It's about $120 more than the GP100. What would I be getting for the extra $?

If it's a smoother trigger and better finish, I'm all in. If it's just the name, I'll stick with the GP100.

It was back in '32 and times were hard. He had a Colt 45 and a deck of cards; Stagger Lee

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. —Thomas Jefferson

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States. Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution. --CA357

Old 01-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It's a Smith. They're more refined than the Rugers are. If you're going to buy the 686, see if you can find a 7 round model. (really)

I personally don't like the newer S&W revolvers with the internal lock.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-03-2011, 07:43 PM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Look for a S&W 686+. That's the name for the 7 round model.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleak23 View Post
Thinking about buying one or the other. The GP-100 is 4" while the M60 is 3" with a Hi Viz front site (which seems pretty cool). Both are stainless. This will be my first revolver in a long time. I'm selling my Ruger P95 to get a revolver because I like the simplicity of revolvers. It will be used for target practice and home defense.

I did a search for M60 but came up empty. I know the GP-100 is pretty well liked around these parts and Ruger customer service is good so I'm wondering what I would be missing if I got the M60. Which gun should I get? Can I put a Hi Viz sight on the Ruger? Are there any other revolvers (in any caliber) I should seriously consider? Thanks.
Depends on what your needs are, You can't buy a better all around wheel gun out of the box than a Smith, and if you can find an older one it's even better.

There's been a lot of guns mentioned here, and this may not sit well with some folks here, but here goes, Taurus, keep away from them if you are thinking of giving it a lot of use, the metal is soft, especially the internals, case hardening is poor.

Pythons, what can I say, they are great shooters and look even better, but they are expensive and they go out of time quicker than any other gun on the market, but they ae smoth as silk, any did I mention pretty.

Rugers, somebody here said they were built like a tank, that's true, they are also very accurate, and easy to disasemble without tools, but they are heavy.
If you need a hunting handgun, a plinker, or a target revolver, the rugers are a good choice, BUT, if your going to use it for self defense, buy a Smith.
Now is where some people get cranky.
I served as a police officer until I retired, also was the dept. armorer and combat firearms instructor for most of those years, and served on the special response team, and we carried ruger revolvers for about six month.
Why only six months, because that's how long we had them before it was qualification time, every one of the new rugers that we had jamed up under rapid fire over a three day qualification course.
Ruger sent down a rep. who sent down oe of their gunsmiths, who reworked every one of those guns, with me watching his every move, when he was done he assured the chief and I that they were all fine and ready for service, great I said, lets go to the range and give thema test drive, all but two jamed up, and the two that didn't I made jam in no time flat.
The guns weren't defective, it's a flaw in Rugers design of their double action revolvers, they never changed the design beause it would mean creating a whole new trigger system, the problem is in the loop style trigger return spring system, the shooter has to let the trigger return fully foward with no pressure on the trigger for the gun to go back into battery, in a rapid fire stress mode the shooter doesn't always do that, your trying to get those shots off as fast as you can to end the threat.
The Ruger if you don't let the trigger travel fully forward right at the end of it's travel and you pull it again at that exact point, it will lock up the action as tight as if it were welded, and the gun will not fire untill you release the pressure on the trigger and squeeze it off again, in the middle of a fire fight that's a had thing to think about.

Now, if you want a fool proof, small, well made carry gun, the model 60 S&W is a hard gun to beat, usually, if you can't get yourself out of trouble with five shots, maybe you shouldn't be where your at, carry a speed strip.
I have one, mine is magna ported, I fived .357 mags out of it once, when I first got it, my advice, don't do it, it hurts.
I use low recoil high velocity .38 spec. 115grn. JHP self defense loads which I have tested in balistics gell.

PS- the Smith mod. 686 can be had in 6, 7, and eight shot models, it's an L-framed model, but it's big for a concealed carry gun.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #17

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

You may have noticed that the S&W Model 60 and Ruger GP100 are somewhat different animals. The M60 is a 5 shot J frame. They typically have 2” and 3” barrels, although there is also a 5” version. The GP100 is the Ruger equivalent of a S&W L frame: 6 shot and built like a tank. I have several examples of both and both are very good, but different. The J frame is a better carry gun; the GP100 is a better range gun.

Keep life simple: buy both.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #18

I've had the GP 100 for a few months and here's my take;

--heavy gun, keeps recoil down and allows for quicker target reacquisition
--heavy gun, don't carry now, but carrying it all day might be an issue without a real good holster system
--heavy gun, shooting one handed drills get fatiguing quickly, but the ordinary guy like me can pick it up with one hand and shoot off 3 shots accurately
--built like a tank indeed
--easy to disassemble and clean
--can shoot all day and eats everything I've fed it
--strong and reliable, will likely outlive me

and to answer the second part of the original question, you CAN put a Hi Viz sight on it. I replaced the front sight on mine with a Hi Viz--makes a big difference.

USAF, Retired

Ruger GP 100
Bodyguard 380
Glock 36

and a Boatload of C & R weapons!!

Old 02-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #19

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
if you want the best revolver colt python is the best 357 out there.
Not to mention the most over priced along with diminishing supply of parts.

You could damn near put two Smiths in the safe for the cost of one Python and Smiths are no slouch when it comes to quality, just ask me.

Old 02-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5646 Times on 2952 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Not to mention the most over priced along with diminishing supply of parts.

You could damn near put two Smiths in the safe for the cost of one Python and Smiths are no slouch when it comes to quality, just ask me.
for me if you only gonna have one revolver better be a good one. the python is the only revolver i have ive fired quite a few varous ones but ive only ever liked the python.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...