Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > GP-100 vs M60

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 04:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default GP-100 vs M60

Thinking about buying one or the other. The GP-100 is 4" while the M60 is 3" with a Hi Viz front site (which seems pretty cool). Both are stainless. This will be my first revolver in a long time. I'm selling my Ruger P95 to get a revolver because I like the simplicity of revolvers. It will be used for target practice and home defense.

I did a search for M60 but came up empty. I know the GP-100 is pretty well liked around these parts and Ruger customer service is good so I'm wondering what I would be missing if I got the M60. Which gun should I get? Can I put a Hi Viz sight on the Ruger? Are there any other revolvers (in any caliber) I should seriously consider? Thanks.

It was back in '32 and times were hard. He had a Colt 45 and a deck of cards; Stagger Lee

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. —Thomas Jefferson

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States. Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution. --CA357

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-01-2011, 04:24 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm not familiar with the M60, outside of a .30 cal light machine gun. Can you provide more information on it?

I do, however, have plenty of information on the GP100. I love mine, it's a 6" stainless and one heck of a great revolver for the money. Sure, my sister's S&W 686 is a little smoother and finished a little better, but she paid almost $200 more for it. I am plenty happy with my Ruger.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:34 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
I'm not familiar with the M60, outside of a .30 cal light machine gun. Can you provide more information on it?

I do, however, have plenty of information on the GP100. I love mine, it's a 6" stainless and one heck of a great revolver for the money. Sure, my sister's S&W 686 is a little smoother and finished a little better, but she paid almost $200 more for it. I am plenty happy with my Ruger.
You can check out the M60 here.

The smoothness, fit and finish are the kinds of things I'm wondering about. I don't care about the money. I just want the best revolver for my money. I'd get a Ruger $700 .454 Casull if I thought (or am told) it's the best revolver.

I definitely don't want a lemon. My last gun was a lemon which I had to send back to the manufacturer (Ruger) for repair.

It was back in '32 and times were hard. He had a Colt 45 and a deck of cards; Stagger Lee

Patriots are not revolutionaries trying to overthrow the government of the United States. Patriots are Counter-Revolutionaries trying to prevent the government from overthrowing the Constitution. --CA357

Old 01-01-2011, 04:37 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5313 Times on 2774 Posts
Likes Given: 335

if you want the best revolver colt python is the best 357 out there.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-01-2011, 04:44 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8426 Times on 3654 Posts
Likes Given: 1300

Quote:
Ruger customer service is good
(insert snide comment about having lots of practice here )

S&W is pretty dang hard to beat. It is a smaller frame than the Ruger, a bit easier to conceal, will kick more. It is the son of the Model 36.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-01-2011, 04:47 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
if you want the best revolver colt python is the best 357 out there.
Wow. I wasn't aware that a revolver could cost that much. I guess I should refine my last post to say that I want a revolver for around $650 that I can buy at Bud's. Thanks.

Nice sig BTW.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:56 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The Model 60 is an excellent revolver. However, you don't want to feed it .357's as a steady diet. The frame is a bit light for heavy loads all the time. Practice mostly with .38's and some .357's then carry it with .357 hollowpoints.

The GP100 will eat .357's all day, every day, long after you pass it down to your grandkids. It's considerably heavier than the Model 60, so if you plan on carrying it, that's a consideration.

Either way, you won't go wrong. If it's to strictly be a range gun, I think you can have more fun with the GP100 because you can shoot whatever you want in it without a hiccup.

Happy New Year.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-01-2011, 05:21 AM   #8

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Since you're talking about my two favorite wheel guns, ill chime in.

The GP100 is a great gun, built like a tank. Ive had two 6" and one 4", AND they can be found in a 3".

The m60 is a better carry option, and running full house loads isn't going to hurt a thing.....except your palm eventually.

Mine was a 2 1/8" bbl, sweet double pull, with about 1# single. I carried it all the time, but ultimately felt better with 13+1 in my HK compact.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default GP100 v M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleak23 View Post
Thinking about buying one or the other. The GP-100 is 4" while the M60 is 3" It will be used for target practice and home defense.
If you are going to use this for target, I'd go with the extra inch and get the GP100. That one inch will make a huge difference. Plus the GP has a proven track record. I'm not familar with the M60.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 01-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Happy New Year to all. And thanks for the replies.

I just realized something; the M60 is a 5 rounder!

So I think I'm going to get the GP-100.

Is it true that S&W uses MIM (metal injection molding) for parts and Ruger does not? I was reading that in a review for a S&W 686.

Newest Threads