Is this a good deal?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Is this a good deal?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is this a good deal?

Hello everyone,

I'm still fairly new to the gun world, even though I've been an enthusiast for years. I live in Massachusetts (yes, we have gun owners too, believe it or not). I have an M&P9 Full size as my first gun. It's a little big for me to CC, and I've been looking for a good small gun to carry. I just saw a deal for this week at a gun shop thats about an hour and a half away and was wondering if its a good enough deal to head out there. It's a Smith and Wesson Model 642 "J" Frame revolver for about $340 but it also includes a blackhawk pocket holster, blackhawk iwb holster, and a hoppes bore snake. I'm going to go to the S&W Shooting Range and see if they have one I can rent to see if I like the small revolver and the .38 Special +P ammo. If I like it, I will probably head out there and pick it up, but I like getting a little bit of feedback before a purchase. Thanks!

BVictorious

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Please, don't take this wrong. I like revolvers a lot! I also have a strong feeling that most revolver shooters are better off starting with at least a 4" barrel. It isn't because the 2" barrels are less accurate, but that their proper sight alignment requires more practice. Because of a shorter sight plane, it must be precise.
Have you tried the M&P9c. If you acquire the same model of M&P (eg. both with or without external safeties ) the controls will be the same and the ammo will fit either. The latter can make life a little simpler.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1377 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 618

Headhunter is absolutely correct. Short-barrelled revolvers have poor aimability, greater muzzle flash, muzzle jump and felt recoil. The only benefit you gain is concealability. Definitely rent one, if you can, and if you choose to purchase one, practice is the key. You definitely need to spend more on ammo and range time to be proficient with this. Other than that, it can be a good defensive piece!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 11-27-2011, 05:04 PM   #4

Liked 2182 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I had a 642 sum time back & its a $400 gun so if its near mint its a great deal with the extras-
Mine was not (nun are) a "target" gun for sure but I was able to "point" & hit torso sized targets at 20yds - I feel thats plenty accurate enuff for CC
Later on I added CT grips

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-27-2011, 05:26 PM   #5

Liked 2082 Times on 1148 Posts
Likes Given: 1369

I have a 642. I carry it a lot. Others are right. It is not a target gun. But if you ever need to defend yourself it will get the job done. I carry mine in an uncle mikes pocket holster. If you do get one carry it with +P ammo in it. you lose a lot of velocity with that short barrel. Also practice with the ammo you carry. If you are used to shooting that gun with standard 38 special ammo, the diference will be shocking to you if you ever pull the trigger with +P.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.