Getting good with single-action revolver - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Getting good with single-action revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1Victor View Post
Just don't try to do anything to fast. You can't be John Wayne in a week.
Heh heh. Clint is my favorite. I want to get to the "Get three coffins ready..." skill level.

Speaking of which, what were his revolvers in the dollars trilogy? There is nothing like the look of the old western revolvers.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:05 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 807 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 232

The man with no name carried Colt SAA. Single Action Army.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 05-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #13

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineshooter View Post
Heh heh. Clint is my favorite. I want to get to the "Get three coffins ready..." skill level.

Speaking of which, what were his revolvers in the dollars trilogy? There is nothing like the look of the old western revolvers.
I think we all wish to be that good one day. My grandfather fought in the war with Duke, and they became good friends. My dad has the letters they wrote back and forth during the war. Just an interesting piece of information.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #14

Liked 262 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1Victor View Post
I think we all wish to be that good one day. My grandfather fought in the war with Duke, and they became good friends. My dad has the letters they wrote back and forth during the war. Just an interesting piece of information.
Your Dad fought in the War with the Duke? Which one? The Duke fought in all major wars from the Allegheny Uprising thru Viet Nam, all on Hollywood sets.

One of the bones of contention when Wayne performed before the real troops was that he never served in any field of combat. Wasn't real popular on the USO circuit.

Bob Wright

Old 05-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #15

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
Your Dad fought in the War with the Duke? Which one? The Duke fought in all major wars from the Allegheny Uprising thru Viet Nam, all on Hollywood sets.

One of the bones of contention when Wayne performed before the real troops was that he never served in any field of combat. Wasn't real popular on the USO circuit.

Bob Wright
No, not my father. My grandfather knew john Wayne. I said they fought in the war together because the letters between my grandfather and the Duke were always about the war. So I guess I assumed wrong.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post

In fairness to Mr. Wayne, from all accounts he didn't try to avoid serving. Like my grandfather, he was born in 1907 which put him in his mid-30's by the time the war started. My grandfather at 37 was drafted as a clerk. I don't think they were desperate for mid-30's grunts but mostly used men that age to fill clerical and support positions. You want John Wayne fulfilling orders for mess kits, or making patriotic movies during the war? If Jimmy Stewart didn't already have a pilot's license when WWII began, I'm not sure if he would have served as he did.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2658 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 1314

Mainshooter

First of all the advice about getting a table or bench and using a sandbag for support will assist in finding where the correct hold is on the sights. Keep in mind the Colt Revolver you are speaking about is no target gun. It was designed for just shooting and having a good time plinking, and shooting at other targets. If you want a precise pistol I would recommend in the future getting a semi auto like a Ruger 22 Target Model, S&W Target Model or Browning Buckmark type pistol. Honestly it would be a better pistol for your son to learn to shoot. Keeping in mind as you if he is not accurate with his shots and confident in the pistol he may lose interest very quickly like most kids do with anything they are not accomplishing what they want or having fun. So use caution. I personally find the western style pistols harder to shoot due to the action and the the grip angle and feel. But that is not true with everyone. But if that were to be the case it might be harder for him to learn with this particular weapon? However the Colt you have is a nice revolver! And you should have a lot of fun with it!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

25-5 Likes This 
Old 05-02-2014, 03:33 AM   #18

Liked 262 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Don't underestimate the accuracy of those little Colt Frontier Scouts. I had one when they were first introduced, one of the dual-tone guns. It was deadly accurate and accounted for its share of squirrels.

For the record, I prefer to start a novice on a Single Action since once the shot is fired, another shot is not readily fired without thumb cocking that hammer. So if the shooter does something dumb, there is less chance of a negligent discharge.

As to Single Action accuracy, my first target revolver was a Ruger Blackhawk Flat Top .357 Magnum, loaded with .38 Specials. Earned a Sharpshooter rating with it in bulls eye competition.

Even today, some fifty six years and 17,000 rounds later, it still works for me:

Bob Wright

Old 05-02-2014, 03:50 AM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 807 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 232

I hunted squirrels in TN for years with the Ruger Single Six. Damned accurate. Got some good eating.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 05-02-2014, 04:07 AM   #20

Liked 277 Times on 192 Posts

These guys have pretty much covered everything. You've got a sweet gun and I'm sure you'll get used too it. Once you do, it'll end up being your favorite and you'll want another.... and another.
Care to post a picture of that iron?