Getting good with single-action revolver
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Getting good with single-action revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 12:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Getting good with single-action revolver

I have a Colt Frontier Scout .22LR single-action revolver that ended up in my possession after my step-dad died. I thought it would be a good learning revolver to teach my son to shoot a handgun. I think I understand the basics of lining up the front sight with the rear groove, but I'm just plain awful getting any consistency of shot groups on the target from around 25 feet. It is hard for me to get on my son for being way off with his shots when my shots are landing all over the place too. I see the gun waving all over the place as my son is trying to line up a shot, so I think his biggest problem is keeping the gun still before he squeezes the trigger. I'm not sure what my issue is, but I may be moving the gun when I squeeze the trigger too.

Do most people aim a revolver using the sights, or just learn to point and shoot and not worry too much about hitting a dollar coin size circle at 25 feet as long as it is on the paper and somewhat near the circle?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-01-2014, 12:43 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Practice a little closer and work your way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineshooter View Post
I have a Colt Frontier Scout .22LR single-action revolver that ended up in my possession after my step-dad died. I thought it would be a good learning revolver to teach my son to shoot a handgun. I think I understand the basics of lining up the front sight with the rear groove, but I'm just plain awful getting any consistency of shot groups on the target from around 25 feet. It is hard for me to get on my son for being way off with his shots when my shots are landing all over the place too. I see the gun waving all over the place as my son is trying to line up a shot, so I think his biggest problem is keeping the gun still before he squeezes the trigger. I'm not sure what my issue is, but I may be moving the gun when I squeeze the trigger too.

Do most people aim a revolver using the sights, or just learn to point and shoot and not worry too much about hitting a dollar coin size circle at 25 feet as long as it is on the paper and somewhat near the circle?

Motorcyclenut
NRA Life
SBR&GC

Old 05-01-2014, 12:55 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 227

You don't know what you are doing, and you are passing it on. I mean no disrespect by that. I suggest you and your son enroll in the Basic pistol course offered by a local NRA instructor. Ask at your local LGS and make sure he is certified. This will save time and angst in your father-son time.
First learn safety, and:
Yes you need to know how to aim.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 05-01-2014, 01:04 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 288 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 307

I'm not an instructor but can tell you what I try to do: concentrate, relax and draw the trigger straight back slowly. I drop the firearm down from firing position if I notice a lot of movement and pause to relax and catch a breath and definitely use the sights for aim while target shooting. With a 22 you don't have much recoil so if you have a lot of movement you may try relaxing your grip.

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will."

Ronald Reagan

Old 05-01-2014, 01:35 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
I suggest you and your son enroll in the Basic pistol course offered by a local NRA instructor.
I have thought of doing that. It is hard to prove in a post but I am actually pretty good with a rifle. But I have never had much experience with a handgun. I figured I would use my experience trying to learn as a thread topic. There are probably many websites articles I could read in the meantime. And I'll go through a lot of .22LR ammo practicing which was a pain in the neck to find the 900 rounds I have now and will probably deplete in a couple of months.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:55 AM   #6

Liked 268 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
I am actually pretty good with a rifle. But I have never had much experience with a handgun.
Apples and oranges. Get yourself a gun rest of sorts, sandbag, block of wood...whatever, and shoot from that being careful to watch exactly how and where you aim. One well placed shot, with your awareness to where you aimed will show you exactly what to do from that point on. When I first started shooting, all I had were revolvers. When I bought my first auto, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Then I used a rest and took my time learning how to shoot it. I'm still better with the revolver, but have no problem with the auto(s)
Practice, practice practice. Every gun is different so your approach to them will have to differ as well. And enjoying the sport with your son is a great thing to do. Just keep thinking positive and keep at it.

Never waste time deciding between two guns....buy both of them.

Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 05-01-2014, 02:00 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 533 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 165

Shoot a few rounds from a sitting rest using sandbags. I'm sure you'll be surprised at how accurate your revolver is. Then you can practice trigger control. Shooting a handgun (for me anyway) is all about trigger control. From a rest position pull the trigger steady and slow...very slow. Get a feel for the trigger. Then move to a standing position using a two hand grip. Taking a class will definitely help. good luck

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 05-01-2014, 02:17 AM   #8

Liked 35 Times on 21 Posts

Yes, get some instruction by all means. They say practice makes perfect, I don't, I state perfect practice makes perfect.
Here is another hint when shooting single action revolvers. As you stated, y'all are shooting the colt scout, it does not have adjustable sights. Sight alignment as follows,,,,,BURY the front sight into the grooved rear sight that is on top of the frame or receiver. From there you are to focus only on the very top edge of the front sight, the target will be fuzzy or out of focus.
Remember, you will only see very little of the front sight, this is the starting point to see were the gun wants to shoot to, also known as sight picture vs. point of impact. This must be known before you can make any type of shooter adjustments. Now here is the kicker,,,,,,,, you only have the front sight basically to work with,,,,and it is used for the up/down (elevation) of the shot strings on the target. Seeing a little more front sight means point of impact will be higher on the target. In the cowboy days they would file down or add too the front sight to get this elevation adjustment to their liking. I have even seen some firearms that have had the whole front sight removed, that is because, that is how the gun wanted to shoot to. Shooter would set his eye on the very end of the muzzle.
Once we have all this under control, how is the time to work on the left/right (windage) part of the shot strings on the target. Some will use what is called Kentucky windage,,,,say the shots are 2 inches to the right on center, they will know to then aim 2 inches to the left of center to put the shot dead center of the target. Some shooters have been known to bend the front sight one way or the other so they don't have to this sight alignment. There are others that will align the front sight to the right or left of the rear sight groove, the out come will be the same. Now there are also handguns that don't have per say adjustable rear sights (up,down,right,left) but the sight is in a slot that you can drift with a punch right or left.
General Rules of sight adjustments: REAR sight, move in the same direction as the hits on target. If the FRONT sight has adjustment, move the sight in the opposite direction of the hits on the target.
Hope this will help you out, as I said in the beginning perfect practice makes perfect, if you are just having a bad day out at the range,,,,,things just not going right etc.,,,,,shots hitting all over the place,,,,,,,,stop, call it a day, save your ammo, and wait for a better day to work on these fundamentals. Have fun and please enjoy the shooting sports.
Here is the key points when adjusting sights: with

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 05-01-2014, 02:43 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 779 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
I have thought of doing that. It is hard to prove in a post but I am actually pretty good with a rifle. But I have never had much experience with a handgun. I figured I would use my experience trying to learn as a thread topic. There are probably many websites articles I could read in the meantime. And I'll go through a lot of .22LR ammo practicing which was a pain in the neck to find the 900 rounds I have now and will probably deplete in a couple of months.
There is nothing like instruction. However, to start. Have a look at Youtube:
Enter "How to shoot a Pistol" or how to shoot a single action pistol.
Safety before all else.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 05-01-2014, 04:03 AM   #10

Liked 72 Times on 46 Posts

Just don't try to do anything to fast. You can't be John Wayne in a week.