Galco Pocket Protector holster for a J-frame?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Galco Pocket Protector holster for a J-frame?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Galco Pocket Protector holster for a J-frame?

Has anyone had experience pocket-carrying a two-inch J-frame in this holster, either the horsehide or cowhide version? Does it do a good job of maintaining position in the pocket and reducing printing?

I've carried my 640 .38 Special EDC in the Uncle Mike's pocket holster for years, and it's a real bargain that does the job; but I've been looking at the Galco website and eying this one, knowing their reputation for making good gear.

Also, anyone who has tried the Desantis Nemesis or Superfly, what do you think of them?

"Don't let macho be your epitaph."
---Ed Lovette

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-01-2013, 01:35 AM   #2

Liked 137 Times on 100 Posts

I'm curious on this as well for my model 60 j frame.

Bushmaster AR15 .223/556
Marlin Model 60 .22lr
Marlin 91V .17HMR
Hi Point .45
Mossberg ATR 30.06 (wifes)
Mossberg 702 .22lr (wifes)
NEF Pardner Pump 12ga (wifes)
Remington 870 12ga
H&R Topper JR 20ga
Mossberg 500 Slugmaster 12ga
Winchester Model 190 .22lr
Thompson Center Grey Hawk .54
Norinco SKS 7.62x39
1860 Remington New Army .44
Titan 22 short
Rohm RG Model 23 .22lr
St. Louis Hawken .50 cal
Kentucky Long Rifle .50 cal
H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 20ga

Old 03-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 229 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 466

I have the Desantis nemisis for my S&W snub nose .38 and I really like it. It does a nice job of conceling the print and outline of the gun, and it is comfortable. Just make sure you have big enough pockets. Because no matter the holster, you are trying to fit a revolver into your pocket, so there will always be room needed for the cylinder. I really like to use it with cargo pants or shorts ( big pockets ) or in a vertical parka pocket on cold days. I find the pocket carry method one of my favorites, because you dont have anything rubing against you, and nothing to worry about when it comes to using the restroom as far as retention.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 03-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #4

Thanks. I got several other recommendations for the Nemesis, so I ordered one yesterday. I've carried a snubby in the front pocket for years. Currently the only pants I have that don't have adequate pocket room is one pair of jeans, and I use a different mode of carry--usually a jacket pocket--when I wear them. I like the Uncle Mike's holsters and have used them for over ten years, but in some pockets they don't consistently orient the gun for the draw. Hope the Nemesis corrects that.

---Ed Lovette

Old 03-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 229 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 466

I hope it works well for you. I have been using mine since last summer, so I am fairly new to pocket carry. Used to carry the smith in a IWB holster, but found this way so much better. Keep us informed as to what you think of it after you get it and try it.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 03-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #6

Will do, and thanks for the recommendations.

---Ed Lovette

Old 03-09-2013, 03:20 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Have too much trouble getting hand in pocket let alone Jframe.

I use a clipdraw w/ shirt covering-summer/winter.

Need to get a steering wheel post holster or something for driving. Pocket carry and clipdraw are useless for driving.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #8

UPDATE: Got the Nemesis and like it. It does a pretty good job of reducing printing, and very firmly keeps the gun indexed for the draw--won't shift in the pocket. I have a couple of pairs of pants with pockets that don't accomodate it as well, so I've held onto the Uncle Mike's; but so far the Nemesis is very satisfactory.

I may try a Mika or Galco one day, but for now I'm happy.

---Ed Lovette