Full circle.
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Full circle.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2014, 05:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Full circle.

It seems that I have come full circle. Although I learned to shoot handguns in the military, and later served with the Navy Small Arms Training Unit, all of that was with the 1911a1. Beginning my career as a cop in 1971, the department didn't issue firearms, and I was told to get "a .38 or something." That very day I purchased from the local gun store, a brand new S&W Model 10, .38 spl, with 4" bull barrel, for about a hundred bucks. (Wish I still had it.) In those days, the duty ammo for .38's was Remington 147 gr lead round nose.

Shortly after starting the academy, I was convinced what I really needed was a .357 magnum. I sold the .38 and picked up a new S&W Model 19, 4" .357 mag, Combat Masterpiece. (I still have that one.) Ammo du jour was at the time Remington semi-jacketed HP, with the "new" scalloped jacket design. After a few years, SuperVel became all the rage in copland, which was the genesis of what would become serious ammo.

I carried the Mod. 19 through about half of my career, until sometime in the mid 80's when we were allowed to carry semi-autos. I ran out and bought a first generation S&W Mod 59, 9mm "Wonder Nine." In 1994, following the trend encouraged by the experts and the FBI, I sold the Model 59, and began carrying a S&W 4006, in .40 S&W. Awesome gun, I still have that one too. Reaching the exalted position of major crime detective in about 1996, I carried a Glock 27 for conceal-ability purposes, until my retirement in 2001. Over the years carry ammo changed with the times ultimately ending up with Winchester Silvertips, or the dreaded, politically incorrect Black Talon.

Since retirement, my personal firearm arsenal has expanded and I have a good collection of pistols and revolvers, most of service or defensive caliber and design (.357, .40 & .45) plus a couple of .22's. About 5 years ago or so, my son gave me for a birthday present, a S&W 642, 2" .38 +P, "Airweight" revolver. It sat in my safe for a while, until I began work as a private contractor providing executive protection services to high profile elected officials in my area. What the heck, I found a pocket holster and began carrying the .38 as a backup to my .40. I quit that gig after 7 years, and entered the realm of respectable obscurity.

Now we're coming to the full circle bit. After a lifetime of carry, I am not about to parade around unarmed, so I still carry and qualify annually for HR218 / LEOSA. As I approach 68 years of life, I find that my bones and joints are no longer supple as they once were. More and more often I find myself carrying the .38 airweight, more often than one of my semi-auto blasters. It's the weight. I stoke it with Hornady Critical Duty +P rounds, which seem to live up to the manufacturers claims, and with such I do not feel in any way under gunned. I always have at least one, and often two speed loaders wth me and still prepared for whatever may come my way. Started out with a ".38 or something," and now carrying more often than not, a .38 revolver. Circle complete.

Full circle. - Revolver Handguns

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-27-2014, 07:51 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 209 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
S&W Model 19, 4" .357 mag, Combat Masterpiece.
Excellent choice, wish I still had mine. It's not the caliber that bothers me at 70, but the weight of the gun and all those darn bullets. I carried a Browning Hi-Power most of my life. But have changed to a compact 45 with 8 +1 for comforts sake. And yes I do carry an extra mag with. (LOL)

Jim