Found My .357 Magnum Woods Ammo - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Found My .357 Magnum Woods Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2010, 03:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
And to think that I used to just carry a .22 revolver. Of course, I could run faster in those days.
Same here. I'd carried a single six with magnum loads for years in the Southern Rockies, then I began hearing stories like the one posted above and bought larger bore revolvers for the mountains. I think shot placement goes out the window when encountering a wild dangerous animal for the first time. The ones that really scare me now that I have little ones are mountain lions. Last summer a woman was walking along a trail west of Colorado Springs with her young boy (2-4yrs old don't remember) and a mountain lion scooped her little boy up in the blink of an eye and took him off into the woods. So sad. They are known to stalk humans (especially the young) and are fast as lightning. Colorado is open carry and I've considered carrying a rifle as opposed to just having one in the truck, especially now that I take the kids out.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #12

I use to carry a 357 mag for a woods carry gun and I still think it will do the job. But even a 44 mag will not do the job if shot placement is not right. 357 will do. However since I do luv me some guns. I carry a converted 1911 with a 460 rowland. This will shoot a 45 cal almost twice the speed of a reg 45 acp. Mine shoots around 1400 fps. just under the velocity of a 44mag, but close enough. Plus it is much slimmer than a revolver so it is easier to pack.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-09-2010, 02:40 AM   #13

On a trip to Yellowstone, I noticed that they had little brass bells in the gift shop that you could sew onto your pack that would tingle and hopefully alert the bear so he could get out of the way before you got close and they had pepper spray in case he didn't. The next day on a guided hike, we came across some bear scat in the path and the ranger asked if anyone knew what kind of bear had left it. No one knew. He took a stick and broke up the scat and said since it as purple in color, it would have been from a black bear. He said that if was grizzle bear scat, it would have been full of little brass bells and smelled like pepper spray.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #14

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Grayowl that was great, I can just see animal lovers that feel bears are just misunderstood, about filling their shorts. A black bear might try to avoid the bells or may be diverted by pepper spray (unless it's a sow with cubs), but for a grizzly it would be a dinner bell and the pepper spray would be like steak sauce. About the only defense, without an adequate weapon, for an encounter with an adult grizzly is to climb a tree as they have straight claws, but it better be a very stout tree because they can rip up some rather large ones. A black bear on the other hand can climb a tree just about as fast as they can run and they can run up to 35 mph, so it won't work to run away. The only good thing is that black bear (don't know about grizzlies) don't have very good eyesite, on the other hand they have good ears and a good nose. By the way was the ranger carrying an adequate firearm? So in the end it's a lot like Dirty Harrys' question, "Do you think your lucky punk?"