Found My .357 Magnum Woods Ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Found My .357 Magnum Woods Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Found My .357 Magnum Woods Ammo

I'll be heading to the High Sierra for camping this Summer. I wanted a round for my GP100 that would handle a bear if it ever became necessary. I found these CorBon 200gr. hard cast rounds at Ammunition to Go.

Ammunition To Go : 20rds - 357 Mag Corbon 200gr. Hard Cast Ammo [HT357200HC/20] - $26.95

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2010, 11:34 PM   #2

Hope they are small bears.. haha... I know folks who carry .357's up here for grizz... true, shot placement is key and even a .45 will work if you aim, but in a blind fury charge.. I want a .44 at least.

WCU Rugby!

Lucky Taurus Owner... 3 out of 3! PT1911/ PT92F/ 44 Raging Bull

Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 PM   #3

buffalo bore hardcast rounds are good as well.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I couldn't find .357mag hard cast in Buffalo Bore or I would have bought it.

California black bears aren't exactly tiny, although they are smaller than some other species. However, since I don't own a .44 at the present time, my .357 will have to do. Shooting at a bear is the last resort since I plan on giving any bear a wide berth or running like hell.

Then again, I may have a .44 by the time the first camping trip rolls around. Anybody got one they want to sell cheap?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-03-2010, 05:30 AM   #5

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacsquatch View Post
Hope they are small bears.. haha... I know folks who carry .357's up here for grizz... true, shot placement is key and even a .45 will work if you aim, but in a blind fury charge.. I want a .44 at least.
Zacsquatch puts forth wisdom. I have a friend that hunts black bear here in Southern Oregon and he told me of a hunting experience with a friend that shot a bear in a tree with 44 mag, in fact unloaded all six rounds while the pissed bear was coming down the tree. As the bear came to the bottom of the tree he was fumbling with the speed loader finally getting it reloaded and while firing the fatal rounds my friend said there was steam coming from the bear where the rounds were entering. I suspect that his friend came the closest to soiling his britches since his being a kid in diapers.
The truth is, whatever you take, .357 or .44, just remember bear have very thick skulls so shot placement is extremely important.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:38 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
Zacsquatch puts forth wisdom. I have a friend that hunts black bear here in Southern Oregon and he told me of a hunting experience with a friend that shot a bear in a tree with 44 mag, in fact unloaded all six rounds while the pissed bear was coming down the tree. As the bear came to the bottom of the tree he was fumbling with the speed loader finally getting it reloaded and while firing the fatal rounds my friend said there was steam coming from the bear where the rounds were entering. I suspect that his friend came the closest to soiling his britches since his being a kid in diapers.
The truth is, whatever you take, .357 or .44, just remember bear have very thick skulls so shot placement is extremely important.
neck, lungs, chest, never in the head, it is so hard that typically the rounds glance off. Have a buddy that hunts bear here in oregon and you have to hit somewhere other than the head or become bear scat

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:42 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

And to think that I used to just carry a .22 revolver. Of course, I could run faster in those days.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think you'll be well armed with that ammo. I would feel comfortable carrying it in bear country here in NC.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I couldn't find .357mag hard cast in Buffalo Bore or I would have bought it.

California black bears aren't exactly tiny, although they are smaller than some other species. However, since I don't own a .44 at the present time, my .357 will have to do. Shooting at a bear is the last resort since I plan on giving any bear a wide berth or running like hell.

Then again, I may have a .44 by the time the first camping trip rolls around. Anybody got one they want to sell cheap?
see link for ammo
Heavy .357 Magnum Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it. For some reason, I couldn't find .357 in the Buffalo Bore. Weird.