forcing cone erosion? bad, ok,?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > forcing cone erosion? bad, ok,?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 08:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default forcing cone erosion? bad, ok,?

i have a service six made in 1985, i just recently found out about forcing cone erosion. i checked mine and it has some, but i wasn't able to get a pic of mine that was viewable. so i found one online that looks kinda like mine, mine isn't hardly as bad as this pic but is close. i shoot 158 grain hollowpoints and softpoints from federal. so with mine similar to this pic what should i do? keep it and shoot as it's not bad, sell or trade to another newer gun that doesn't have erosion? i am not able to have something like this fixed as money is too tight right now. thanks for any help

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2015, 11:58 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9915 Times on 4268 Posts
Likes Given: 1560

Before getting all stoked up-

1. Has it affected accuracy?
2. Has it affected reliability?
3. Uh- there is no 3. If 1 & 2 are no, stop worrying.

Like anything made by humans, guns wear. You might want to clean the face of the cone, and the cone with some good solvent, and see if any of the erosion is actually a bit of fouling. I have some revolvers made in the late EIGHTEEN hundreds, and I am still shooting them. Do they have some wear? Durn skippy they do.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 02-09-2015, 12:17 AM   #3

Liked 767 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 825

Cracks are serious issues. Were you Shooting 125gr at any point? 158gr of any variety should be fine. If you start seeing cracks, then it is time to be concerned.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:36 AM   #4

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

gun shoots great, most accurate handgun i've ever owned. a friend was telling me how older guns have erosion and when i looked mine does. he said it could cause a cone to crack. but i wanted to others advice that have seen this before.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:13 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6328 Times on 3352 Posts
Likes Given: 463

Looks like normal very light wear to me.

This is what really damages a revolver. Backstrap flame cutting after the erosion has gone too far with too large a cylinder to cone gap from erosion.

Example of a dangerously eroded cone and backstrap.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-09-2015, 02:10 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9915 Times on 4268 Posts
Likes Given: 1560

Jon- DAYAM!!! 44 Mag? Saw some NASTY flame cutting on the .357 Maximum, but nothing like that poor, abused forcing cone!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

headhunter Likes This 
Old 02-09-2015, 02:19 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6328 Times on 3352 Posts
Likes Given: 463

Pulled it off the web as an example. No clue otherwise

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3268 Times on 1882 Posts
Likes Given: 1394

How bad is the "spitting" to the side?
Every revolver has some.
Does the guy 2 stands down flinch when you shoot cuz he was spat on? Then something needs to be fixed.

Put some paper up on both sides about 1.5 feet away. If you see a lot of powder spray when you shoot, then something is wrong. If you see little powder spray, then don't worry.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/handgun-tools/deburring-tools/revolver-deburring-tool-cutters-prod678.aspx

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #9
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7436 Times on 3792 Posts
Likes Given: 8307

Old fart, Everything Mechanical will wear with proper use over time and I suspect yours is wear not actually damaged, if your worried, have a Gun Smith check it out for you.

If you consider the actual physics of what a repeating powder actuated projectile launcher is doing, its almost a shock they can last decades much less generations. Gasoline engines lead a charmed life in comparison even if their cylinders get more action, its very tight and clean for the most part not loose and dirty intentionally like a firearm.

The actual change-out of fuel tanks (Cartridges) alone in a firearm is a hugely destructive process that balances the need for imperfection of fit with the expectation of superior accuracy at the same time. Add that even clean burning fuel (smokeless powder) leaves nasty deposits every single time its actuated and a Firearm is the miracle invention of all times when it can repeatedly provide nearly the same experience for expert and novice alike.

The difference collect-ably between a weapon thats been well used and a new one is great but not so much so for the person that buys them to use, a few character marks and scratches just mean the piece was loved for more than its outer beauty is it was intended to do.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:35 PM   #10

Liked 784 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 243

Old fart, that revolver of yours is like a tank. You can drag it behind your car on your next vacation and it will still be stronger than many new revolvers. Just shoot the thing and do not worry about it.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

kfox75 Likes This