Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Firts time out with S&W 500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Default Firts time out with S&W 500

Last month, I talked the wife into letting me get a new-to-me S&W 500. Today was the first time I have been able to take it out. I was using the cheapest ammo I could get. 325 grains.

After seeing videos of people trying to hold on after dropping the hammer and setting off a second round, I only loaded one round the first time. I was shooting across an open pit ( I am oilfield trash) about 80 yards, at a coke box. As I lined up the first shot, I had problems staying on target. Shaking more then usual, and the wind was not helping. I had to reset a few times before I just let her go. Looked to be about 6" to the right.

Next, I put in 5 rounds and try again. I keep it on paper this time. I put one low but center, and the others low and left.

Before we called it a day, I loaded her up 1 last time. This time, I am going after a water bottle. If I was missing, it was close, but I think I kept it on target. Before I fired the last shot, one of the guys I was with said to try it single handed. At first I told him no, but looking down the sights, I think it wouldn't be so bad and try it. I think a man could shoot like that for hours if he had the ammo.

This gun is alot of fun. I am looking forward to the next time I can take it out. Hope y'all were able to get out this weekend too.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2012, 01:43 AM   #2

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

I have no experience withe the s&w .500 round. I have fired a "Dirty Harry" s&w model 29. The wood grips plus magnum calibers leads to numb hands after about 50 rounds, how's the recoil on your smith and Wesson?

Old 03-12-2012, 05:14 PM   #3

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I have a couple of .500 S&W mags. I wouldn’t be able to shoot them without reloading. The expense would be prohibitive. Since I reload, I can dial in the loads for myself and reduce recoil. It makes for a more enjoyable experience. I also tend to shoot in lightly padded bicycle gloves. They take the sting out of the nasty, high powered loads.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebsca
Last month, I talked the wife into letting me get a new-to-me S&W 500. Today was the first time I have been able to take it out. I was using the cheapest ammo I could get. 325 grains.

After seeing videos of people trying to hold on after dropping the hammer and setting off a second round, I only loaded one round the first time. I was shooting across an open pit ( I am oilfield trash) about 80 yards, at a coke box. As I lined up the first shot, I had problems staying on target. Shaking more then usual, and the wind was not helping. I had to reset a few times before I just let her go. Looked to be about 6" to the right.

Next, I put in 5 rounds and try again. I keep it on paper this time. I put one low but center, and the others low and left.

Before we called it a day, I loaded her up 1 last time. This time, I am going after a water bottle. If I was missing, it was close, but I think I kept it on target. Before I fired the last shot, one of the guys I was with said to try it single handed. At first I told him no, but looking down the sights, I think it wouldn't be so bad and try it. I think a man could shoot like that for hours if he had the ammo.

This gun is alot of fun. I am looking forward to the next time I can take it out. Hope y'all were able to get out this weekend too.
Wow nice gun ,have fun I know I would.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:05 AM   #5

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 42

The recoil is ok. I only fired it 11 times, so it could get bad, and expensive, at 50. Maybe next time, I'll be able to shoot it more.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:36 AM   #6

Hi,
I also received SW 500 w/83/8 barrel for X-mas.
It has more recoil than my Desert Eagle 50 cal,
Get the Galco Kodiac holster w/ the bullet holder.