Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > First time firing .357

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First time firing .357

I've read most topics here going about 30 pages deep, and I think I've decided on a 4" SS GP100 sometime in the near future. The only Ruger revolver rental the range I went to was a Security Six, so I went with that. Fired 50 rounds of .38 special and 50 rounds of .357, LOVED IT. The .38 felt easy and recoil was nothing compared to the .357, which had a kick but wasn't as bad as I expected. Stock grip, I think.

My shot groups were god awful, and I was shooting high and right. It was so bad I didn't want to take any pictures, and I know how you all love pictures here. First time firing a double action, and with a heavier trigger than I'm used to, that trigger pull seemed to go on forever.

The range had exactly what I wanted for $560, but that seems a little high. I'm going to check another one tomorrow which I think will have better prices. Probably get it then if he has one and at the right price. I think I should buy new, I don't know if I could spot a badly treated revolver just yet, unless it was really bad.

I probably won't post on here much at all, but I read for a couple hours a day. Learned a ton already, love the history lessons too. I want to shoot on my lunch break every day now haha.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2232 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1145

Brainarrr,

You are correct when speaking about a good or bad revolver. I agree most have been not shot too much at all. If you have a good friend that is very familiar with revolvers to go with you to check them out if you buy a used one. Checks like timing and cylinder lock up. Frame stress and etc. We at FTF can assist if you can not find someone to go with you. On the how to's!
Anyway the 357 Mag. is definitely a great caliber and also due to the fact that you can even shoot inexpensive 38 Wad-cutters and various types of 38 Ammo besides the 357 Mag. Rounds and Defense loads. As far as trigger pull that is certainly a consideration. DO not buy a pistol with a bad trigger pull. And do not let some jack leg professing to be a trigger expert work on one. If you do ask around and find a good armorer. Anyway good luck and do your research before you buy.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:02 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You only tried one .357 so try others. I am not saying the one you tried is not good, but it is the only one you tried. As such you have nothing to compare it to. I have fired many different ones before finding a favorite.

Just saying...

And yes, sniper03 is right, both 357 and 44 magnums are the best for variety of ammo you can use, and stopping power. Most here will disagree as they favor the 1911 and 9mm autos.

Just my opinion on magnums......

OC

"magbum"

Old 06-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #4

You know, I went a little gun crazy after shooting just one .357. I definitely would shoot a GP100 before buying, but I didn't think to shoot any S&W's first, good idea. I was starting to the trigger pull, it just felt so different from what I'm used to. Took some time feeling out where the hammer cocks and where it actually fires.

I should really hold off on buying one and rent some more. But everything I've read here says the GP100 is an amazing revolver so it's hard to wait.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:57 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Glad you enjoyed it!!! It only gets better from there. The GP100 will be an excellent (if not perfect) choice in 4" for a first "all purpose" handgun.

I carry my GP100, I shoot the hell out of my GP100, I even trust my family's lives with it in the black bear ridden back woods, with fully loaded 200-300 grain hard cast ammo.

The loooooooong double action trigger pull will not be an issue once you get used to it, especially since you're going to buy a set of "SNAP CAPS" or "dummy rounds" to practice with at home. It will familiarize you with the gun several times faster than if you were to only handle it at the range.

In addition to dry-firing with your snap caps, if you want to accelerate your proficiency with your firearm, you will also practice your draw and target acquisition nightly.

You'll tighten up those groups in no time!

Old 06-28-2011, 12:50 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

brianarrr,

I wouldn't worry too much about the groups at first. Revolver shooting is different than shooting autos (I'm assuming you were shooting double action), but it just takes practice. When you do pick up your wheelgun, do lots of dry firing, and you'll get the hang of it. Quick dry fire tip: stand a spent casing on top of the barrel while you dry fire — when you can dry fire through all six chambers without toppling the brass, you will have learned, Grasshopper.

Try some other revolvers, too. Rugers are great; personally, I prefer Smiths. With any big purchase, you owe it to yourself to shop around and find what you like best. Remember that it's much easier to adjust grip size and reach with revolvers than with automatics. So if you like a particular revolver but it doesn't fit your hand, there's a chance you can find a grip setup that will make it fit you.

Happy shopping!

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 06-28-2011, 03:12 AM   #7

I've read about snap caps and how some people dry fire a hundred times or more a night, I'm looking forward to that! I spent half the day today shopping around for a few different models, but still have my eyes on that GP100. I need to try others too, though. Some people at work said I was crazy for looking at buying rounds by the 1000, but it seems economical to me! I might have found a cheap local place that gives a 10% discount if you print out their online price and bring it in, and the prices are low to begin with.

utf59, that's a good tip on using a spent cap on the barrel! Thanks for all the great suggestions and info, everyone. Can't wait to shoot again.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:11 AM   #8

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

After you buy that gp100 think about reloading for it. It costs me about four dollars a box to shoot my gp100.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #9

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianarrr View Post
I've read most topics here going about 30 pages deep, and I think I've decided on a 4" SS GP100 sometime in the near future. The only Ruger revolver rental the range I went to was a Security Six, so I went with that. Fired 50 rounds of .38 special and 50 rounds of .357, LOVED IT. The .38 felt easy and recoil was nothing compared to the .357, which had a kick but wasn't as bad as I expected. Stock grip, I think.

My shot groups were god awful, and I was shooting high and right. It was so bad I didn't want to take any pictures, and I know how you all love pictures here. First time firing a double action, and with a heavier trigger than I'm used to, that trigger pull seemed to go on forever.

The range had exactly what I wanted for $560, but that seems a little high. I'm going to check another one tomorrow which I think will have better prices. Probably get it then if he has one and at the right price. I think I should buy new, I don't know if I could spot a badly treated revolver just yet, unless it was really bad.

I probably won't post on here much at all, but I read for a couple hours a day. Learned a ton already, love the history lessons too. I want to shoot on my lunch break every day now haha.

Brianarrr,
I should have an article up in the "Articles" section sometime today on how to buy a used revolver. It will have all the info you need to make a good decision on a used revolver.

Jim....

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #10

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I like my S&W 686 plus .357 mag. The other guys pretty much covered it all. It's my bedside buddy. I trust it more for home protection than my 1911's. After some serious thought and plenty of rounds shot, for a home defense weapon I'm using .38 hollow points. Will do the job intended and much less kick and flash. I have the 6 inch barrel, if I had it to do over again I personally would get the four inch. Plenty of nice .357 out there. Good luck!

bed-buddy-945x582-.jpg