Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > First Revolver Recommendation S&W 686 vs M60 vs 627

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 10:01 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
I forgot to address that before. There are many rumors on the Internet about the locking mechanism engaging on it's own. Normally I put ZERO stock on rumors BUT I was with a friend when she ought a brand new Scandium pocket hamerless .357 for self defense and we brought it straight to my house to start training. The first time out of the box while going through some dry fire excercises the gun stopped functioning after a few drills. I ended up getting the key out and locking and then unlocking the gun which cleared the problem for good. We took the gun out next day and fired it extensively and all was Ok.

I called Smith and Wesson who said that it was impossible for that to happen (funny it DID happen in my hands) and as long as the gun was working properly they did not want to have it back to be checked.

Since then I have owned a few more guns with the lock but ultimately that little incident keeps buging me in the back of my head and have ended up selling them. Is there another S&W with a lock in my future? Doubt it but if they came out with something REALLY neat I had to have I guess I would take the plunge. For regular stuff I'll take a used pre-lock gun.
Now I'm not defending S&W by any means, but the incient you described has a lot of variables. First off the lock may have been tampered with by the dealer or never set, one way or the other by the manufacturer, to begin with. I would have done the same thing ya'll did and just start playing with it (who wouldn't ), but I bet if the lock was turned off/on, definitively by S&W (or someone) you would have never noticed any foul ups with the gun not functioning properly.

Next, it was a brand new hammerless revolver, something may have just been a little tight on the clyinder? Who knows, however I'd bet my life on just about 999,999 out of 1,000,000 revolvers coming out of the S&W factory.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:59 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2696 Times on 1343 Posts
Likes Given: 263

the 7 & 8 shot revolvers should be fine. In this day of product liability lawsuits, I don't think the would stamp ".357 Magnum 8 Times" on the side. And Yes, I really like my 627PC.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
The Ruger IMO is a bit better in attention to detail and finish, the Ruger can be disassembled for cleaning, the SW can't.
On a S&W a simple twist of a screw takes the crane and cylinder out for easy access to the chambers and the barrel.
What kind of disassembly are were you referring to exactly?

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
On a S&W a simple twist of a screw takes the crane and cylinder out for easy access to the chambers and the barrel.
What kind of disassembly are were you referring to exactly?
The manual of my Ruger shows me how to disassemble the revolver for cleaning, I can remove the trigger group, hammer and spring, crane and cylinder.

The SW revolver manual doesn't show how to disassemble it at all, it references to field stripping but never shows you how to do it.

If you have a manual or link that show how to field strip please share 'cause I downloaded my manual from the SW site since mine is an old 686 and the original manual was lost by the previous owner.

Owner's Manuals - Smith & Wesson

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Old 06-17-2011, 10:46 AM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
The manual of my Ruger shows me how to disassemble the revolver for cleaning, I can remove the trigger group, hammer and spring, crane and cylinder.

The SW revolver manual doesn't show how to disassemble it at all, it references to field stripping but never shows you how to do it.

If you have a manual or link that show how to field strip please share 'cause I downloaded my manual from the SW site since mine is an old 686 and the original manual was lost by the previous owner.

Owner's Manuals - Smith & Wesson
I see, I dont have a link to any S&W endorsed literature at the moment but its simple enough to disassemble a S&W revolver down far enough that you can properly clean and oil all the parts. Its odd that the manuals are lacking for cleaning for Smith and Wesson. I never bothered with a manual since I have several books that cover in depth disassembly and projects on all different kinds of guns. Try looking on Youtube for a good video of disassembly of a S&W revolver, I'm sure someone has made one. If not, just let me know and I'll make one.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #26

Default Any Modern Double Action Revolver WITHOUT the Inter-Lock? Ruger, Rossi?

Thanks again for the useful info.

It sounds like all current S&W models come with inter-lock. Are there any current revolvers from any manufacturers (Ruger, Rossi, NOT Taurus) that does NOT have an inter-lock?

Thanks.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #27

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
Now I'm not defending S&W by any means, but the incient you described has a lot of variables. First off the lock may have been tampered with by the dealer or never set, one way or the other by the manufacturer, to begin with. I would have done the same thing ya'll did and just start playing with it (who wouldn't ), but I bet if the lock was turned off/on, definitively by S&W (or someone) you would have never noticed any foul ups with the gun not functioning properly.

Next, it was a brand new hammerless revolver, something may have just been a little tight on the clyinder? Who knows, however I'd bet my life on just about 999,999 out of 1,000,000 revolvers coming out of the S&W factory.
I agree with you 100%. If I had to bet I would say the lock was left just shy of the "off" position prior to leaving the factory. Like I said a quick reset was all it took to get it shooting 100%. I did not mean to bad-mouth S&W. I love their products and the company is tip-notch and like I said if they put something out that I couldn't live without I'd be in line waiting to buy, lock or no lock. I just wish their lawyers at some point would figure out that they are loosing potential business from many folks out there and do what Remington did with the idiot J lock... just quietly stop putting it in their guns...

Old 06-18-2011, 04:25 AM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambli View Post
I just wish their lawyers at some point would figure out that they are loosing potential business from many folks out there and do what Remington did with the idiot J lock... just quietly stop putting it in their guns...
Yep, then it would all be just another hiccup in the Smith and Wesson historical timeline of design changes in their revolver line.