Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > First Revolver Recommendation S&W 686 vs M60 vs 627

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

I'll not bad mouth a good S&W revolver having shot several and found them to be quite nice.

However, don't ignore the Rugers on word of mouth only. I currently own both a SP101 & a GP100 (4 inch) and love both of them. The GP is one of the nicest and most accurate double action revolvers that I have ever shot. Heavier than the S&W so it absorbs the recoil of the magnum loads better IMHO.

So, check out the Ruger at your local gun shop and judge for yourself. Rent both at a local range if possible as that will help you make the most informed decision.

No worries, you won't go wrong with either as they are both quality, reliable pieces.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:04 PM   #12

Default Thanks much for your insights!

Hi guys,

I appreciate your feedbacks and suggestions. It's very informative and educational.

FYI, I already had a few pistol which were acquired for different purpose and just want to add a revolver to my lineup.

- HK P7 PSP (8 rounds mag) will be my main CCW. Perfect size with great accuracy.

- Browning Buckmark with 5" barrel - great 22 l.r. for plinking and practice.

- Walther P1 (8 rounds mag) - mainly for historical reasons; wanted something from WWII but this is is the post-war version for German Military.

Still have a couple questions regarding my pursuit of 1st revolver.

What's the inter-lock for? Will it make the SW revolver less reliable in a defensive situ.?

The 2.5 barrel SW 686 weighs 34.7 ounces, which is 3 oz heavier than my P7 PSP but has a much thicker cylinder. Not sure if it's practical to use IWB holster for daily carry. What's your experience?

How about the front sight and rear sight of the 686? Is it easy to acquire a sight picture when aiming? Will the rear adjustable sight get in the way when drawing the pistol?

Thanks again.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

OK, so you're way over-due for a revolver then. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf109 View Post
What's the inter-lock for? Will it make the SW revolver less reliable in a defensive situ.?
NO. Absolutely not.

The internal locking mechanism on the newer Smiths are basically a safety that can only be turned on/off with a small key. Some folks absolutely can't stand the mechanism and refuse to own one with a lock. I personally don't see them as being troublesome; 1.) You can remove them via gunsmith or DIY 2.) They can be "unlocked" and left that way forever. I think my Ruger New Model Blackhawk has one, but I don't play with it enough to remember.

The 686 is

Quote:
The 2.5 barrel SW 686 weighs 34.7 ounces, which is 3 oz heavier than my P7 PSP but has a much thicker cylinder. Not sure if it's practical to use IWB holster for daily carry. What's your experience?

How about the front sight and rear sight of the 686? Is it easy to acquire a sight picture when aiming? Will the rear adjustable sight get in the way when drawing the pistol?
Very practical for carry. Uncle Mike's makes a holster that is perfect for the 2.5" 686.

The sights are perfect (and can be changed to your liking) and won't get in the way at all. Smith and Wesson have been making the finest revolvers for over a hundred years and they still do so perfectly.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:01 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Get one of each!!!

The trigger in the 686 is a bit smoother than the SP101, in no way the SP101 is bad, in fact it's a great gun, but trigger speaking the SW 686 is a tad better.

The Ruger IMO is a bit better in attention to detail and finish, the Ruger can be disassembled for cleaning, the SW can't.

The GP100 is said to be the same as the SP101, but a 6 shooter.

Either way, Rugger or SW you can't go wrong.

“If you're gonna die, die with your boots on!”— Iron Maiden

“MOLON LABE”— King Leonidas

“Remember the first rule of gunfighting... ‘have a gun.’”— Col. Jeff Cooper

Old 06-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #15

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebiker View Post
No worries, you won't go wrong with either as they are both quality, reliable pieces.
That's right, both make fine guns. The title of the thread however, does not list any Rugers, only Smiths.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #16

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Nice looking gun! What wood grip is on the revolver? It doesn't appear to be the stock rubber grip.

Any issues/ recalls on the 686s? What version is S&W up to (i.e. 686-1, 686-8, etc)?

Thanks.
They are S&W combat grips

Old 06-15-2011, 12:21 AM   #17

Liked 45 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
For my 1st revolver, I want to get a double-action (with exposed hammer) with 3 to 4 inch barrel stainless steel frame in 357 Magnum.

This will be for home protection and range shooting and will not be a CCW. I’d like to get a high quality, reliable and durable with smooth double-action trigger and excellent sights (night sight?). I read S&W’s trigger tends to be a bit smoother than that of Ruger.

But I’m so confused with the various models S&W offers – 686, 686 Plus, 686 SSR, Model 60 (pro series), 627, etc.

6 rounds cylinder would be perfect. There’re model that offers 7 to 8 rounds but would the cylinder wall be “too thin” to stand extended 357 Mag. Ammo usages?

Would you recommend a few S&W models and share your experience with these models?

Lastly, what about the S&W inter-lock feature? Some models have some models don’t have that feature. What’s the use of the feature? Would it render the gun less reliable (more moving parts) in a defensive situation?
Thanks much for your info.
I forgot to address that before. There are many rumors on the Internet about the locking mechanism engaging on it's own. Normally I put ZERO stock on rumors BUT I was with a friend when she ought a brand new Scandium pocket hamerless .357 for self defense and we brought it straight to my house to start training. The first time out of the box while going through some dry fire excercises the gun stopped functioning after a few drills. I ended up getting the key out and locking and then unlocking the gun which cleared the problem for good. We took the gun out next day and fired it extensively and all was Ok.

I called Smith and Wesson who said that it was impossible for that to happen (funny it DID happen in my hands) and as long as the gun was working properly they did not want to have it back to be checked.

Since then I have owned a few more guns with the lock but ultimately that little incident keeps buging me in the back of my head and have ended up selling them. Is there another S&W with a lock in my future? Doubt it but if they came out with something REALLY neat I had to have I guess I would take the plunge. For regular stuff I'll take a used pre-lock gun.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:27 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 120 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 128

I have a model 15 4", 19 4", 2-586's 4 & 6" and a 340PD 1& 7/8" fortunatly only the 340 has a lock. A colt Det Spl. and no Ruger revolvers

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Last edited by armsmaster270; 06-15-2011 at 04:29 AM.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:37 PM   #19

Default Which Brand New S&W model does NOT have a lock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
I have a model 15 4", 19 4", 2-586's 4 & 6" and a 340PD 1& 7/8" fortunatly only the 340 has a lock. A colt Det Spl. and no Ruger revolvers
Are there any current S&W models (brand new) that do not have a lock? Except for the cool factor, the whole purpose of getting a revolver is to have absolute reliability and dependability in a defensive situation.

I know there's no 100% guarantee on any kind of weapon but one less worry about the lock is desirable. Why did S&W put a LOCK in their revolvers? Any legit reasons?

Thanks.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:30 PM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Are there any current S&W models (brand new) that do not have a lock? Except for the cool factor, the whole purpose of getting a revolver is to have absolute reliability and dependability in a defensive situation.

I know there's no 100% guarantee on any kind of weapon but one less worry about the lock is desirable. Why did S&W put a LOCK in their revolvers?
Wooooooaaaaaaahhhhh. .. .hold up a minute. . . I knew this would happen.

Smith and Wesson revolvers are 100% reliable. PERIOD.

The locking mechanism was installed because Smith and Wesson had to comply with certain safety regulations brought on by gun-hating liberals. What's new??? In addition, they can also market their revolvers as having additional safety features.

Do not let a small removable feature such as this dictate your decision to buy a new Smith. If you would like a vintage (pre-lock) Smith & Wesson revolver because of the sheer craftsmanship that went into these guns and the amazing fit, feel and finish they possess, then, by all means look in some thing like a Model 66 (before the 686) and you'll have a masterpiece of a gun and a hell of a shooter.

The above link shows how simple it is to remove the lock. I'd also go out on a limb and tell you that I gurantee if you just turn off the damn lock and throw away the key, you will not ever have an issue. I know this because I've done it. . . .to several Smiths and Rugers alike. . .