Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   First revolver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/first-revolver-45439/)

Firearms4ever 07-18-2011 09:31 PM

First revolver
 
I recently went to the range and tried one of their rental revolvers, and now I gotta have one :o. I'm looking for mainly a range gun, and I would like the barrel to be preferably 4 inches and a blued firearm. What do y'all recommend?

canebrake 07-18-2011 11:13 PM

Find a vintage S&W.

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...n/m19-3a-1.jpg

I got this model 19 on gunbroker.com for <$400 a year ago, I couldn't be happier!

Cane's M19-3/357 Mag

Olympus 07-19-2011 12:27 AM

4" S&W Model 66 or Model 19 would be my recommendation. Preferably one made without the internal lock.

danf_fl 07-19-2011 12:29 AM

If you can find the S&W mdl 15, you won't ever get rid of it.

freefall 07-19-2011 12:55 AM

I heart my Ruger Security Six. All three of them.:o

mes227 07-19-2011 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firearms4ever (Post 544845)
I recently went to the range and tried one of their rental revolvers, and now I gotta have one :o. I'm looking for mainly a range gun, and I would like the barrel to be preferably 4 inches and a blued firearm. What do y'all recommend?

There are so many excellent guns out there that you may want to narrow your options a bit. Do you have a price range in mind? Any preference on caliber or make? A couple things to look for in a range gun: adjustable sights, good grips, a gun that fits your hand well and has good balance. That is, one that's comfortable to shoot so you'll shoot it frequently! If money is an object then pay attention to ammo costs (unless you plan to hand load, then it's less of an issue). If you shoot frequently your ammo costs will quickly exceed that of your revolver! Also think about recoil. I like big bores but there's no question that a lighter weight round is easier to handle and that means you'll shot more. Which leads to my last recommendation: there's a lot of advantage in having a dual-caliber revolver, such as .357Mag/38spcl, .44Mag/.44Spc, 10mm/.40S&W, .45Colt/.45acp (if you buy a .45Colt you can later have it cut to also allow .45acp with moonclips), .454Casull/.45Colt (a great combo!), even .41Mag/.41spcl (a bit hard to find ammo for the .41spcl, but it exists and I'm a big fan).

ninjatoth 07-19-2011 04:20 AM

Those S&W .357's are a great choice,but if you don't wan't a .357/.38 but rather just a .38,the S&W model 10 is one of the greatest handguns ever created by mankind.

Firearms4ever 07-19-2011 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mes227 (Post 545108)
There are so many excellent guns out there that you may want to narrow your options a bit. Do you have a price range in mind? Any preference on caliber or make? A couple things to look for in a range gun: adjustable sights, good grips, a gun that fits your hand well and has good balance. That is, one that's comfortable to shoot so you'll shoot it frequently! If money is an object then pay attention to ammo costs (unless you plan to hand load, then it's less of an issue). If you shoot frequently your ammo costs will quickly exceed that of your revolver! Also think about recoil. I like big bores but there's no question that a lighter weight round is easier to handle and that means you'll shot more. Which leads to my last recommendation: there's a lot of advantage in having a dual-caliber revolver, such as .357Mag/38spcl, .44Mag/.44Spc, 10mm/.40S&W, .45Colt/.45acp (if you buy a .45Colt you can later have it cut to also allow .45acp with moonclips), .454Casull/.45Colt (a great combo!), even .41Mag/.41spcl (a bit hard to find ammo for the .41spcl, but it exists and I'm a big fan).


My price range is up to $600. Caliber wise, I was thinking about a .357 magnum or maybe a .45 Colt. I'm having the most difficult time deciding whether I want a Double Action revolver or a Single Action revolver :o.

winds-of-change 07-19-2011 12:27 PM

I am not familiar with very many guns but I have a GP100 that can fire .357's or .38 or .38 +P. Mine is a 6" barrel but you can get shorter barrelled ones. It's a good, basic, sturdy revolver. Though you can get 'prettier' ones.

ninjatoth 07-19-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firearms4ever (Post 545239)
My price range is up to $600. Caliber wise, I was thinking about a .357 magnum or maybe a .45 Colt. I'm having the most difficult time deciding whether I want a Double Action revolver or a Single Action revolver :o.

fot that price range you can get a Ruger GP100 new or a Ruger single action new,but in my opinion,the Ruger single actions are just about as good as they come,as where the GP100 isn't no.1,its a good gun,but the single action is better.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:29 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.