Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > First revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 05:27 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I took it out and ran 50 rounds through it today. The trigger is much heavier in use than it felt in practice. Heavy enough it was causing my shots to be pulled way down and to the right. By pre-cocking the hammer, I was achieving amazing accuracy though. I'm sure more range time will help, but I'm already looking into a spring replacement. Cleaning a revolver is a lot more work than my semis. I do have to admit that once it's clean the GP100 is the best looking gun in my collection.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:42 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
I took it out and ran 50 rounds through it today. The trigger is much heavier in use than it felt in practice. Heavy enough it was causing my shots to be pulled way down and to the right. By pre-cocking the hammer, I was achieving amazing accuracy though. I'm sure more range time will help, but I'm already looking into a spring replacement. Cleaning a revolver is a lot more work than my semis. I do have to admit that once it's clean the GP100 is the best looking gun in my collection.
I use the springs from here in all my Rugers: Springs for RUGER GP-100 Revolvers

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

DRY FIRE PRACTICE! I've pulled the trigger at least 50 times per day on every primary defensive handgun I've owned (plus the ~hundred rounds per week verifying anything Ive gained).

Funny enough, I hardly notice the heavy trigger under rapid fire with my DA .44, but my finger gets tired when practicing at home.

Though, I am getting ready to order a spring kit!

*edit*

BTW, you aren't taking off the side plate to clean it every time, are you? That is rarely necessary. Just wipe off the surfaces with a solvent-dipped cloth and brush out the cylinders and barrel. Doesn't take particularly longer than my autos did, and I find it perhaps more strait-forward than the autos, because there are so many fewer moving parts and nooks and crannies than an auto (if you aren't taking off the side plate).

Last edited by Lindenwood; 05-13-2011 at 01:02 AM.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:45 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post

BTW, you aren't taking off the side plate to clean it every time, are you? That is rarely necessary. Just wipe off the surfaces with a solvent-dipped cloth and brush out the cylinders and barrel. Doesn't take particularly longer than my autos did, and I find it perhaps more strait-forward than the autos, because there are so many fewer moving parts and nooks and crannies than an auto (if you aren't taking off the side plate).
Ruger's don't have a side plate

Old 05-13-2011, 05:32 AM   #15

One of my first guns was a Ruger GP 100, love it, still have it, it`s a great gun and will last a very long time if you take care of it... Here is a picture of my GP 100

100_0689.jpg  

The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I've been very happy with my GP100. The variety of ammunition available is somewhat daunting. I have half boxes for two or three different weights of .357mag JHPs or SJHPs, a couple of different types of .38spcl with FMJ & JHP, and some really economical WWB .38spcl+p's with an ugly HP. They have all been fun to shoot.

(I'm glad there isn't a side plate i was supposed to be removing & cleaning.)

If you have the classic grips with the wood inset, there was a guy on thefiringline selling custom replacement insets.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:49 PM   #17

Seemed to be a lot of carbon at the point where the barrel extends backward to meet the cylinder (sorry for my ignorance about what that might be called). The relatively high level of carbon build up may be attributed to the cheap Remington ammunition I was using. It had a very strong odor to the spend casings, almost an ammonia scent. After only 50 rounds the cylinder was almost completely black. I didn't actually dissassemble any part of the revolver, which might have made it even more awkward to clean. I'm also excited to try some 38 ammo in it as well. Oddly, I'm having trouble finding any "cheap" 38 ammo. It's all SD and as expensive if not more so than the
.357 magnum rounds.

Old 05-13-2011, 11:56 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
where the barrel extends backward to meet the cylinder
Forcing Cone

Quote:
Seemed to be a lot of carbon at the point where the barrel extends backward to meet the cylinder [...] The relatively high level of carbon build up may be attributed to the cheap Remington ammunition I was using.
Personally, I have found Remington to be particularly dirty ammunition and the brass of poor quality. The below picture is a standard pressure 38 SPL remington that split at the rim and length of the case; nearly half of this box end up like this:

__________________________________________________ ______
Attachment 28531

Last edited by mesinge2; 11-11-2011 at 04:16 PM.