Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   First revolver (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/first-revolver-42374/)

Kain 05-11-2011 09:50 PM

First revolver

I've never been a big fan of revolvers. I can't really place why, I've just always preferred the look of a semi-auto.

However, a while back one revolver in particular caught my eye and has been in the back of my mind ever since. The Ruger GP100. It's one of the few revolvers that actually fits my hand. Recently, I received some semi-unexpected cash and decided to finally pick up my long awaited GP100. I wanted a stainless 6" in .357, which is a bit difficult to find for some reason. Rather than run around to a dozen different shops tracking one down, I just ordered one in. I slightly overpaid for it, at $600 after tax and shipping. But the convenience was worth it. I haven't had the chance to fire it yet, but I hope to attend to that oversight tomorrow. It dwarfs all my other pistols, and the weight of the gun itself is impressive. It's far to large for a practical carry piece, but I may pick up a shoulder holster for the novelty.

blitzen25cat 05-11-2011 10:38 PM

Nice choice. Ruger makes very strong rrevolvers. I don't have a GP100 but have several blackhawks and three single six and several vaquaros. All of my Rugers are old models with the exception of the Vaquaros.I'm sure you will be happy.best regards

stalkingbear 05-11-2011 11:31 PM

You made an excellent choice with the GP100. With proper care your kids will never wear it out. I would recommend a Wolff spring kit for it however.

Olympus 05-12-2011 12:03 AM

Rugers are the tanks of the revolver world. Strong, rugged, dependable. But if you know you want a 6" revolver, you should check out the many different models of Smith and Wesson. My advice would be to go with a well cared for older model as the newer models are full of MIM parts and the infernal, I mean internal lock. Or Hillary Hole as some people call them.

stalkingbear 05-12-2011 12:08 AM

He already bought the GP100.

Kain 05-12-2011 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 502808)

What he said.

I handled a LOT of revolvers, and only the GP100 sparked my intrest.The SP101 wasn't bad, but the grip felt too small for my tastes. I didn't like the feel of the Smiths and the Taurus...well, I'm sure someone likes those. I handled the EAA, and I've never felt anything so cheap (and I transport crack whores on a fairly regular basis)

winds-of-change 05-12-2011 01:26 AM

I am a relatively new gun owner and the only gun I have is exactly what you just bought. I really like it and anyone who's ever shot it likes it, too.

Enjoy. You're going to have a lot of fun with it.

mesinge2 05-12-2011 01:51 AM

I am so happy to have another Ruger wheelie owner.
Be careful, one ruger leads to many rugers, I think they multiple in my safe :D

WDB 05-12-2011 03:20 AM

Congrats on your purchase.
Great choice and IMHO everyone should have a revolver.

Olympus 05-12-2011 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 502808)

I see that. Doesn't mean that's the only revolver he's ever gonna buy.