First handgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > First handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default First handgun

I am looking to get my first handgun and I am open to suggestion. I am most interested in shooting at the range and home defense. Having never owned a firearm before i am looking for something basic and inexpensive ammo. After I doing quite a bit of research online i find myself interested in the Taurus 991 9 shot revolver. It is a longer barrel (6.5 in) and being a .22 i could get plenty of practice with inexpensive ammo. I am leaning toward a revolver for simplicity and ease of cleaning. My plan is to "graduate" to something a little more powerful down the road but like i said, i am really looking for some input.

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7813 Times on 4689 Posts
Likes Given: 9825

May I suggest the Ruger GP100.

http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/models.html

Old 03-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #3

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Don't get a Taurus,I had a Taurus .22 and it broke over and over again.Get a S&W or a Ruger.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 03-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #4

Liked 2573 Times on 1673 Posts

I handled a new heritage arms .22, I think a nine shot but can't remember. Looked like a good bang for buck gun. I think they wanted 250$ for it. Or a used h&r .22 9 shot is nice, if u can find one.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 03-11-2012, 03:32 AM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Taurus 738 TCP is not only the lightest semi-auto, it's lighter than most small frame revolvers. The 738 TCP offers 6+1 shots of .380 ACP, a durable polymer frame and low-profile fixed sights.

turus-380.jpg  

Old 03-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #6

. Good gun and .22 are fun to shoot. Not the most ideal for home protection but will work in a pinch. I own a .22 revolver that shoots .22lr and .22 mags. Just fun to shoot and it doesnt break the bank. You will enjoy it.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #7

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Have never owned a Taurus, but from reading this forum I would not buy one. How about a used Ruger if money is tight? They are built like tanks and you can go with a SA revolver to a semi-auto. A SA are good guns for learning how to shoot. They kind of force you to take your time.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:38 AM   #8

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
+1 Winds

Go with the Ruger GP100. It's an 8 shot SS revolver than will outlast you and several generations of off spring.

Taurus are made in Brazil, hit or miss on quality, same on service.

Ruger puts out s solid product, American Made, and donates to the NRA for every gun sold.

Tack

Old 03-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
My step father has a gp-100 and I love it. Great revolver, but the .357 ammo isn't exactly cheap.

For a cheap range gun that is fun to shoot you can't go wrong with a .22lr. Ruger Mk. III is really a great gun, but for home defense I wouldn't recommend a .22. I would say at least a 9mm, the ammo is fairly cheap. I own a sig p226 in 9mm and love it.

What i suggest is if you can go to a range near you, and look at a bunch of guns, ask the people behind the counter if you can hold one, and make a mental list of the ones that felt good in your hands. Then go to the range, and see if you can rent a few of those guns. Put maybe 50 rounds through each, and decide on which ones you really like.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

After my first hitch in the Army I was hooked on guns and wanted one for my self. I found a used Ruger Standard Model (not the Ruger MK I or II or III but the original semi-auto Ruger made his start in the gun business with. I paid $34 for it at a gun show and used it to teach myself to shoot a handgun. (The Army just let me shoot 2 Mags during Basic Training with a 1911 that scared the heck out of me) I must have shot 10,000 rounds through that pistol, then got the bug to join a gun club and shoot in pistol matches. I noticed right away that the other shooters had fancier guns than me and many had barrel weights and after-market sights. So I bought some new sights, but could not find a barrel weight to fit that skinny tapered barrel. So a buddy of mine worked in the shop at Western Electric where I also worked and he had a Computer operated EDM machine, one of the first in the state of Missouri. AT&T rented it to Western and they had to pay by the hour to operated it. I was a Draftsman at the time and I drew up a blue print of the measurement of the barrel of my pistol at 1/8" increments. My buddy put those figures into the computer and turned out a tool that would bore a hole in 2 split steel blocks clamped together over the tool. They would be slowly pushed together until they met and my tapered hole would be a perfect fit to the barrel of my Ruger. Holes drilled and tapped in the bottom of the two blocks of steel and a thin rubber gasket allowed them to clasp the barrel and not scratch or dmage it and kept the weights from moving with recoil. After he was all done and we tested the product my Buddy causually mentioned for me to not tell anyone about how I got them and lock them up at home. When I asked why? He told me it cost the company $2000 of computer time to make them. About 30 years later and all that ammo ran through them the blue was wearing badly and I sent them back to the Ruger factory (without the expensive weights) and asked them to reblue the gun. In 30 days I received my pistol and I thought it had been so badly worn that they just sent me a new one. But checking the serial number and looking at the bill that came with it, I found out that they had replaced all the internal parts, springs Etc. and blued it. The cost was $40.00. Yehh buy a Ruger, they stand behind their products and they don't wear out either.
PS I still have it and it still will shoot 10 ring accurate if I do my part.
Sarge

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge