First Gun will be a revolver, but what kind/caliber? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > First Gun will be a revolver, but what kind/caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 02:13 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I had a rollercoaster of a day involving me overstressing on gun choices, but it ended on a good note after I went to the gun show to see my husband get a hoster and found.... a chiappa rhino 200ds!! I was really interested in them, and now that I've touched it, felt it... I have found what will be mine. I have already shot its big brother, the 5 inch, and enjoyed it. Accuracy was something to be desired on my part, but others have made better shots, so I'm hoping that it was a user issue only.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 846 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 181

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyGurl View Post
I had a rollercoaster of a day involving me overstressing on gun choices, but it ended on a good note after I went to the gun show to see my husband get a hoster and found.... a chiappa rhino 200ds!! I was really interested in them, and now that I've touched it, felt it... I have found what will be mine. I have already shot its big brother, the 5 inch, and enjoyed it. Accuracy was something to be desired on my part, but others have made better shots, so I'm hoping that it was a user issue only.
Why overstressing? You know this won't be your ONLY firearm
Old 11-18-2012, 04:06 AM   #63

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Great! Do us all in the gun community a favor and past some follow up's. Range report, maybe a summary of how long out takes to get comfortable shooting it and such.
There is a severe lack of long term reporting on this particular gun.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-18-2012, 11:03 PM   #64

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

InDEFENSEofLiberty-I will definitely let you all know how things turn out for this gun. I have been reading multiple reviews on this gun, and the one I'm on now has been the most detailed.
partdeax-After talking to my husband, I've come to realize that its more my person flaw that fell apart. When I get into a project, I go full on and study everything I possibly can about what I want to learn about. UNfortunately this is a field of research that has a lot more influence on opinions into what is intended as unbiased facts. This is nothing like how I thought buying my first hiking boots or hiking backpacks would be.
I have become overwhelmed by the different options and not knowing what would be best for me. I went to the gun show already upset with something else and still confused about what gun I'm going to get, and every person I talked to gave a completely different opinion of what they thought I should get, either gun or caliber. I saw hundred upon hundreds at the show, got upset at myself and frustrated that I couldn't figure out what I want that I just broke down.
I really thought (and still somewhat think presently) that for how many guns that are out there, there should be a gun out there that is best for me. But because of how these unique machines are, I don't know how I'd be able to get all I want and need in my gun.
I need:
concealability for a woman-usually wears casual business clothes and most difficult to conceal out of my wardrobe. Want to conceal against body on the front with the proper holster and have cotton collared shirts be enough without being able to notice.
light in recoil: joint pain in knuckles and wrist are sensitive enough where a majority of guns I've shot, both revolver and pistol were painful during and after. (I know some have said that by exercising my hand, I can build strength in my hand to better handle recoil... I'm currently using a stress ball for training right now but joint pain is still a challenge with this tool.)

I want:
simple in structure where in an emergency I can understand exactly how it works and can defend myself without much thought. Less steps for an extremely forgetful and panic attack-anxious individual, the better.
low chance in accidental/unintended fire
a worthwhile caliber for defense(people seem to have different standards on whats a worthy self defense caliber. My husband got mad when I was looking at a .22 "You are just gonna piss the guy off". Another man yesterday said "Don't go for anything lower than a 45". I figure a 38 +P is an appropriate middle ground for my recoil issues yet still self defense-worthy.

Fairly low maintenance in care: I will still take care of it, but its more in case of post-apocalyptic events and I wanna be able to shoot multiple zombies without concern for a jam just because I have no gun cleaner. (blame my husband, he's the most prepared individual for zombies I know)

Old 11-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 846 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 181

GG,

As I posted in the other thread, women especially have multiple dressing scenarios to deal with. There are some GREAT youtube video's by a young lady who shows how to carry for different dress events.

Anybody that ever says you have to go with this caliber over some other caliber, offer to have them stand in front of you with the "lesser" caliber while you pull the trigger.

Bigger is better, but I quite frankly have trouble carrying a 75mm concealed

.380 is a bit on the light side, and there are some great 9mm out there. My FIL carry's a sweet 9mm shield. yea, 45 is nice, but most (not all) BG's don't like leaking holes. I'd rather you carry and can shoot what you carry than worry about single shot stopping power.

SWMBO just got a .38 spl from charter arms. It's really simple, it's loaded, pull the trigger and it goes bang. Plus it's self cleaning, she just states my gun needs cleaning, and it magically gets cleaned

Old 11-20-2012, 01:48 AM   #66

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The LCR is your best option. You choose the caliber. Try one and fall in love.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #67
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1263 Times on 732 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Check out a Charter Arms Off Duty model. Enclosed hammer, light weight snubbie .38 SPL.
They have a variation, "Pink Lady", that really is pink, if that floats yer boat.
Be sure to carefully check the specific gun before you buy it, though. With Charter Arms, sometimes you get a superb gun that does everything right, but sometimes their quality control is not so good.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 11-20-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Typo's

Old 12-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #68

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Grizzly,
There is a girl making excellent video reviews on gun selection and carrying for women - different clothing types. You tube She calls herself Falia - and the website is Falia's Freedom Channel - or something like that. She does excellent reviews on various guns - and some knives - also. she is petite, young... so deals with the conceal from that standpoint.

My own experience - I've been helping a friend - female - learn to shoot (she is excellent now) went through ccw class with her. She was intent on carrying. Bought her first gun - an old Colt Trooper 357 revolver - she does well with it - but it is to large for ccw.
(Her intent talked me into going ccw, too, so I joined the ccw gun search for myself, also)
I bought a Ruger LCP 380 first -- excellent little gun - conceals so well! I take it just about every time I carry of the guns I now have to chose from. It's kick is substantial - it is very light and the 380 makes it kick due to that light weight. It has never failed (unlike the another similar I bought and then sold). I then bought a Smith Airweight 438 38 Special - the same family (J frame) you are looking at.. Bought it for a more powerful round. It does well also. It's kick is also substantial - which you have found, too. I then went to an Ruger LC9 9mm. good gun - softer recoil but more power round. It's larger, though - but not too large. But I still carry the LCP almost exclusively.
For her - she followed me - so to speak. but I should tell you she has a should problem and struggles with semi-auto slides. So - she really didn't a semi-auto. she bought the Smith Airweight 38 Special. She found that harder to carry concealed so practiced enough with my gun that she thought she could handle that guns slide and bought a Ruger LCP. She likes its size - realizes both guns have a kick - but realizing that it is only for one or two emergency shots (other than range - which she might shoot 25 times in a session) - she knows she has the gun with her for an emergency need and doesn't have to be doing a lot of range shooting. CCW encounters are close encounters - not distance - a person has to be in eminent personal danger for a shooting to be defensible. So long distance shooting - it is not -- so lots of aiming practice - no - - it's point and shoot. So if the gun has a kick that is tolerable for a few shots - it is conceal carry good.

To enhance her shooting she bought an M&P22 22lr for range practice. It works well. (I also bought a 22 - a Ruger Mark III - the same gun she and I rented for use for our ccw class -- that gun was just so excellent for us both!)
That is where she stands.

Myself - I bought an additional gun in my search for the carry gun - a Ruger LCR 38. It has a lighter smoother trigger than it's almost identical smith counterpart - the Airweight 38. But more importantly is that it has full coverage rubber grips that cross the backstrap of the gun (the grip frame section). this rubber cushion the gun against your hand - and it's recoil is softer that the Smith! (The Smith's grips are two separate slabs with your hand exposed directly to the frame metal - sending the jolt of the shot directly into your hand with now cushioning - that's why the Smith has a tougher recoil). what you give up withteh LCR is some concealability - the grips are larger and so don't hide as well as the Smiths'. There is no perfect gun!!

I'd like to throw out an opinion - defense with a 22L is not unreasonable. Look at some youtube reviews on the subject. Her M&P22 would be good and a Ruger SR22 would be good - bad history on the Walther 22, though.

Any gun that you will carry -really carry, not leave home - is the gun you should carry. Any gun that you have would be infinitely better that no gun.

I might throw out a personal caution on the NAA mini 22's. Those are so small that I have difficulty even holding one properly much less trying to aim one and then try to pinch that little trigger to get it to fire. I may be successful at the range - but fumbling with something that small in a panic situation - - for me it would likely end up dropped on the floor or pointed at the ceiling. It's almost like I need tweezers to handle that gun - and I have handled the gun. Just my opinion...

I hope you look at Falia's videos. She is very thorough, very helpful.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #69

Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Rhino has a hammer, it's "clunky" and it doesn't get real positive wright-ups in the gun mags especially GUN TEST. I did a lot of research for this type of weapon auto loader and revolver and bought the Ruger LCR 357 Crimson Trace. Apparently I didn't do enough, because the grips are killers with 357 and 38+P(steroidal). Get the ones without C/T, also save big bucks without them. This weapon had the best trigger. Only 5 rounds but I carry 2 speed loaders. I will be surprised if you don't like this.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #70

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Personally I would stick with a .357 that way you can use both .38 and .357