First Gun will be a revolver, but what kind/caliber? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > First Gun will be a revolver, but what kind/caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashid630 View Post
Can you conceal at school now a days?! Where do you go to school at?
Yes. University of Anchorage, Soldotna

Old 11-04-2012, 04:58 AM   #52

Liked 124 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyGurl
I've been doing some research today and I've come to the conclusion that a revolver will work out best for what I want and need it for.
Goal: to have/own/carry a concealed gun on self or purse
History: have concealed weapons permit, shot husband's makarov, unknown other pistol, shotgun a couple of times, own multiple knives
Preferences: hammerless revolver, concern on kick (found difficulty to manage in husband's guns) and concern over pain in knuckles if I have to repetitively shoot.
Pro: hammerless has less chance to snag in a purse Con: trigger needs more lbs of pressure to pull. repetitive use and practice downrange will be limited
Pro: hammer could help with joint problem
I have researched and found some hammerless I want to test out myself, but I want some opinions on this.
1. In your opinion, what do you see in this small battle in choosing between hammerless and hammer?
2. I keep seeing statement of people saying certain calibers(.357) and certain gun models(SW 642) are not good for a beginner. Why? Why must I go with a .22? what's the big difference? And I honestly have caught myself drooling a few times over variations of the S & Wes m 642 and look forward to testing it out. What's the big deal?
3. I look at the revolver and I picture more concealment challenges than say a pistol. What's your opinion? Are there ways that are more difficult to conceal a revolver than a pistol?
I shot the Mak. 9x18 for the first time yesterday. I can't think of a more fun and accurate gun, and I have 2 Browning 22s. I was pleasantly surprised. I have already bought 8 guns in the last 13 months so I can't expect my boss-wife to understand another purchase of something I should be able to get after the elections.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #53

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I wasn't sure actually if I'm allowed o have concealed weapon on college campus. I need to look again. Its likely a state law thing if Anchorage is allowing.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #54

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Alaska has no laws about carrying concealed. Residents and non residents carry openly and concealed daily. Just tell the state troopers if pulled over that you are armed to make them more at ease. (They suspect you are carrying anyways)

Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 AM   #55

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here is a video comparing the LCR, S&W 342 and 442. When you think you have decided on the gun you want and have not fired it yet, go to a range that rents the models you think you are interested in and go shoot them. No one can tell you which one you will like. Only you know your tolerance for recoil, trigger pull capability, and natural point of aim. Try before you buy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=79V95r6TdEk

Last edited by kingfish15; 11-05-2012 at 01:11 AM. Reason: forgot link
AsSeenOnTV Likes This 
Old 11-16-2012, 01:31 AM   #56

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Update on search for the right 1st handgun: so my visit to the gun range sunday and today gave me a bit of a surprise as to how much I can handle. I shot the Airweight, the S W M&P(forgot # off the top of my head), and I couldn't shoot nor aim worth anything and the recoil caused a lot of problems for me. I couldn't handle the firepower. The only thing I could hit anything with and deal with the recoil was the chiappa rhino 4in (i think it was a 40). Today, I played with the rhino a lot, then decided to jump into pistols after talking to the gun geek that worked there. I found the sig sauer p238. I was able to handle firing it quite well, and hit my target more often than any other gun. I don't feel as comfortable with the pistols as I do with the revolvers, but I can't turn down that this gun felt right for me.
I hate all the flaws for it, though. lol The flaws that are found in pistols in general and some of the reviews I'm seeing for this gun. I also am fighting the same battle of caliber vrs. recoil. UGG! So frustrating! caliber vs the ability to hit target and not suffer pain? and I've shot the p238 but I haven't shot the rhino 200ds(the model I'd like) but ite bigger brother I shot had accuracy issues. It was more than 3 in from my target at any given point. (forgot distance, which won't help you in making an argument, but it was less than half the distance of indoor gun range) Does anyone have anything to say that could make this any less frustrating? lol

Old 11-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #57

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well Griz, I think you are going about this the right way--actually firing some examples of the guns you are interested in, but not convinced about.

One thing to consider is a shot over the head, or past the ear of some threatening individual is all that's usually needed to change their mind about what ever deed they originally had been thinking about. And in the dark of night, that lil 'ol 22LR in a short barreled gun whether auto or wheel makes a very loud noise. If they are dumb enough to advance after that, well, that's call Darwineanism, but probably all that will happen is you will spend the evening cleaning your lil gun.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:48 AM   #58

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashid630 View Post
Can you conceal at school now a days?! Where do you go to school at?
Anyone who has gone to school knows that you NEVER leave your preposition dangling in public.

Last edited by 207driver; 11-16-2012 at 05:01 AM. Reason: miss spelled word
AsSeenOnTV Likes This 
Old 11-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #59

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

@GrizzlyGurl, my wife loves shooting my 357 mag Ruger Blackhawk. She also has a SP101 in 357 mag. But it didn't happen overnight. She took to the SP 101 without issue. That was a huge surprise! But she has always been hesitant to fire the large frame revolvers. The grips are huge but they are soft form fitting grips. The last Blackhawk I purchased was a convertible. The 9mm cylinder gave her the confidence to try the Blackhawk. Once she started shooting it with the 9mm cylinder she quickly gained confidence she could hang on the gun. The same day she shot twenty four full house 357 mag rounds. Today when she has had a bad day she picks up a box of 357 mag ammo on the way home. When she arrives home she heads out to our shooting area and proceeds to blast every target in sight until the ammo is gone. She has actually shot the convertible more than I have.

If you give yourself a chance you will do exactly the same thing. My wife is a tiny lil thing. I love her dearly. Knowing that she can defend herself makes her even more sexy to me and gives me peace of mind.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-16-2012 at 10:22 AM.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyGurl View Post
Update on search for the right 1st handgun: so my visit to the gun range sunday and today gave me a bit of a surprise as to how much I can handle. I shot the Airweight, the S W M&P(forgot # off the top of my head), and I couldn't shoot nor aim worth anything and the recoil caused a lot of problems for me. I couldn't handle the firepower. The only thing I could hit anything with and deal with the recoil was the chiappa rhino 4in (i think it was a 40). Today, I played with the rhino a lot, then decided to jump into pistols after talking to the gun geek that worked there. I found the sig sauer p238. I was able to handle firing it quite well, and hit my target more often than any other gun. I don't feel as comfortable with the pistols as I do with the revolvers, but I can't turn down that this gun felt right for me.
I hate all the flaws for it, though. lol The flaws that are found in pistols in general and some of the reviews I'm seeing for this gun. I also am fighting the same battle of caliber vrs. recoil. UGG! So frustrating! caliber vs the ability to hit target and not suffer pain? and I've shot the p238 but I haven't shot the rhino 200ds(the model I'd like) but ite bigger brother I shot had accuracy issues. It was more than 3 in from my target at any given point. (forgot distance, which won't help you in making an argument, but it was less than half the distance of indoor gun range) Does anyone have anything to say that could make this any less frustrating? lol
A couple things to try. First, since you didn't mention the model number of the S&W I may be off base on this. Try a standard weight S&W snubbie, preferably one that has a rubber grip that covers the part that will rest against the palm of your hand. You want rubber in there, not steel.

Second, give the Sig P938 a try. I have found the mini-Sigs to have very good recoil dampening. If you liked the P238 you will probably like the P938. You also get a wider array of ammo choices with the 9mm.

I know you are leaning toward the revolver, and I think it is a fine choice, but starting with an Airweight is not a good thing. They can be very punishing.

Good luck in your search. It seems like you are doing everything right, but luck is not with you yet. Don't worry. You'll find what you need.