First Gun will be a revolver, but what kind/caliber? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > First Gun will be a revolver, but what kind/caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 01:51 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
If it was me I would consider a 642 and get a competent gunsmith to replace the springs and do an action job. That's what I did for my daughter and it's one of her favorite firearms for concealed carry.

Revolvers are more difficult to conceal due to their wider dimensions. a pistol is essentially flat while a revolver has the cylinder bulge.

Let me give you a clue that will help you down the road. Go take a look at your wardrobe. Can you easily conceal a handgun under what you normally wear day to day? If it's marginal you might want to consider a pistol. If you think you can do it easily a revolver should work. If you couldn't hide a stick of gum in your clothing go with purse carry.

You bought your clothes to fit your style. You are not going to change your way of dressing to conceal a weapon. You may make some changes but you will eventually feel uncomfortable and drift back to what you have now. That means you may stop carrying. Look at your clothes, decide how and what you are going to carry, and stick with it.
I am concerned about how I am going to conceal my gun, actually, because I'd prefer it on my person, but for most of my clothing and lifestyle, I have a hard enough time just keeping knives on my person. I have enough baggy shirts where I can conceal under with a shoulder holster, but not enough sweater/light open overshirts to carry the same way all year around. Even with half my wardrobe tomboy style, most of the time, its just dress work clothes, going to and from. The reason why I want to get a gun is because I restrict my lifestyle and dreams based on fear. I want to go out camping and hike in nearby woods without paranoia. In those situations, I'll be armed to the teeth, but I want the same gun to be accessible when I'm leaving my work late at night, going to gas station etc.
*sigh* I am now more confused and conflicted because what I thought I wanted in a gun, the guns I was looking at might not help me the way I want to be helped. I wonder if there is some sort of questionnaire out there where one can narrow down the type of gun for their situation.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:01 AM   #32

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns View Post
I'd reccomend a Ruger LCR in .380. The .380 is not an overwhelming caliber to start out with. I do think a .22 is the caliber to start with, but if you just want a good carry revolver that's hammer less the LCR in .380 is the way to go.
Don't you mean Elsie Pea (LCP)?

The LCR only comes chambered in .22lr, .38 spl and 357 Rem Mag.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-03-2012, 02:11 AM   #33

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyGurl View Post
I am concerned about how I am going to conceal my gun, actually, because I'd prefer it on my person, but for most of my clothing and lifestyle, I have a hard enough time just keeping knives on my person. I have enough baggy shirts where I can conceal under with a shoulder holster, but not enough sweater/light open overshirts to carry the same way all year around. Even with half my wardrobe tomboy style, most of the time, its just dress work clothes, going to and from. The reason why I want to get a gun is because I restrict my lifestyle and dreams based on fear. I want to go out camping and hike in nearby woods without paranoia. In those situations, I'll be armed to the teeth, but I want the same gun to be accessible when I'm leaving my work late at night, going to gas station etc.
*sigh* I am now more confused and conflicted because what I thought I wanted in a gun, the guns I was looking at might not help me the way I want to be helped. I wonder if there is some sort of questionnaire out there where one can narrow down the type of gun for their situation.
A belly band holster is a godsend for most females. My wife uses a belly band holster most of the time. If you wear it properly it actually helps flatter your figure. Well, it could be flattering in my eyes because I know she can defend herself.

When you look at belly band holsters look for one with a hook and loop closure. You will end up with more than one holster but they are affordable ($40) My wife has both four and six inch holsters. Why she chooses a different holster for the same gun I don't know. I just say yes ma'am and get what she wants.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-03-2012 at 02:19 AM.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:35 AM   #34

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyGurl View Post
I am concerned about how I am going to conceal my gun, actually, because I'd prefer it on my person, but for most of my clothing and lifestyle, I have a hard enough time just keeping knives on my person.
I can relate. I have a slim body frame, so it's not alway practical to carry even a snubnose revolver for me. That's where I find the NAA most helpful.

For example, I occasionally go to evening yoga classes, and at night there's few lights around the gym. All I ever wear when I go are fitted yoga pants, a yoga mat sling, and my NAA Mini revolver. I am not lying when I tell you that I go through my entire yoga routine in the class with others present near me, and none of them know I carry.

I also carry the NAA on jogs, where all I have is a top and sweatpants. Trust me when I tell you that it is not comfortable at all to exercise with a steel revolver (even a two-inch snubby) on your waist. A S&W 442 "Airweight" weighs 15 ounces empty, which while still light can still be felt as significant weight. A NAA Mini weighs at most 5 ounces loaded, three times less weight than the 442.

Last edited by SatoriNoir; 11-03-2012 at 03:31 AM.
GrizzlyGurl Likes This 
Old 11-03-2012, 02:41 AM   #35

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I'm gonna leave all the tech stuff since everyone had that covered, but I will say for Personal Defense you don't wanna use a small caliber such as a .22 jut in case (knock on wood & I pray it never happens) if you do have to you it on an assailant that happens to be on some kind of drug that speeds up their heart rate they will keep coming at you. The .22 does not have enough "Knock Down Power"....... Which is why the Military Issue side arm M9(9mm) isn't really any of our favorite as we've learned when someone is on something they don't realize they've been shot at due to the small caliber. So if you used a .357mag & practice with the same firearm with the .38 sp( it will give you the easier recoil for your hand) it'll give you the upper hand as they would get knocked down & you may not have to re engage your target.... Shoot safe. Shoot often.... Good luck

Old 11-03-2012, 03:26 AM   #36

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I actually went on a search and found a web site called "The Well Armed Women" and it is helping me on so many levels, fear, concerns, curiosity, answering the "How's" before I came back and saw what Old_Crow said. These modified holsters for women are making me feel so much more comfortable. And after what you said about the mini revolver, I'm honestly thinking more and more getting a mini and a 38/357 revolver. The statement the gentleman said earlier that got me confused has been sort of settled after this website as well.
After looking at both of them, I know the revolver will be more difficult to conceal on some accounts, but for me, my situation, and my lifestyle, I think a revolver is right for my first gun. I have to stick to my gut on this.
I've decided still on the hammerless/bobbed hammer because I will often have it in my purse when I'm not able to carry on my person for some reason.
After thinking about it, reading responses, and talking to my husband, I want something stronger than a .22 and likely more than a .32. I will likely be narrowing down my search for a revolver than can handle more than one kind of caliber. One for practice shooting and another for self defense. I want experience under my belt, but I don't want it affecting my chance of being able to walk away alive.
BTW, the website link http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/

Old 11-03-2012, 03:33 AM   #37

Liked 2027 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

642 is a great gun. 38 special is not dificult to learn to shoot. 357 mag in a pocket gun is a major handful. But perhaps a second gun is in order. Everyone should own a 22. Not necesarily for self defense. But it is great to get trigger time with. You can shoot all day for $20. Not so with anything else.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 11-03-2012, 03:37 AM   #38

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Like other tools, they come in different sizes for different applications. If you are going to do something that involves wearing light, it's better to carry a .22 NAA Mini when being assaulted than to having nothing on you but a .357 Magnum at home.

If clothing and purse permits, the .38 Special/.357 Magnum is still the most versatile revolver to carry for self defense, as well as for practice at the range to hone your accuracy. The Chiappa Rhino is easier to conceal with it's flat hexagonal cylinder, as one of the disadvantages of traditional revolvers are the bulge of the round cylinders.

I also agree with Rick1967, it's not a bad idea to own both calibers for conceal carrying revolvers.

Last edited by SatoriNoir; 11-03-2012 at 03:41 AM.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #39

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well I hope the combined experience has helped toy in your decision... Ask I'd you have any more question, feel free, best of luck

Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #40

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What about a .32 mag other than price