First Gun will be a revolver, but what kind/caliber? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > First Gun will be a revolver, but what kind/caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 03:06 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

might want my charter pitbull stainless .40 snub revolver i just posted to classifieds on here !!!

Old 11-02-2012, 03:27 AM   #22

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

@OP When your adrenaline is flowing you will not feel the recoil of a 357. Practicing with the 357 is your issue. My deer rifles rattle my dental work when I shoot them in practice. When I am shooting a deer I feel nothing. I am only focused on the deer. In a self defense situation it will be the same thing if you are confident you can defend yourself. You will barely hear the gun go off.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

GrizzlyGurl Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 04:32 AM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I do appreciate all the responses, and surprised at the short period of time of when I posted this question in the first place. I don't have enough time now to write down the note suggestion, but I have a notepad I've been using to keep track of different models that I'm interested in, and plan on coming back to write down the suggestions you all have been kind enough to make. There were a few I found I became quite curious of.
Smith and Wesson Blackhawk, 442, 649, 49, 38, 638, 637, 642 Ladysmith as well as LS(mainly for looks), Ruger LCR Lightweight Carry Revolver, Taurus M850 and 851, Charter Arms "Off Duty" and hammerless 38, Cobra "The Shadow", Firestorm 38(eh..), and Taurus Judge.
Any from here that I listed you think I should probably scratch off the list? As you see, I found many a S & W to manhandle, but I can guarantee if I go to every gun store I know in the area, there will be some that aren't on the shelves, mainly because of supply and demand. (Gun Show coming in December, a time I might actually buy the gun if money's right.) There's an indoor gun range store i will be going to test some of these out, though and get the "true hands-on experience".

Old 11-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSeenOnTV View Post
A 22 is a great gun for a first gun. Very little recoil to 'surprise' you when it goes bang. And that will teach you better trigger control and to not flinch. But there is nothing wrong with a 38 for a first gun. These smaller guns everyone is suggesting will cause more recoil, and if you do not want to practice profusely with it, you will have more of a trigger control problem to get past to really become a good shot with it. Always wear good ear plugs when practicing shooting to help you avoid the flinching. A larger framed revolver will reduce the recoil. But from all your researching, you are going about it in the right way. Put all your choices in your hand and see what one is right for you. I went with the S&W 442 and have no regrets. It is a great jacket pocket gun and I don't feel vulnerable with it. You pick what is best for you.
Ditto, great weapon for the needs you stated.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But the U.S. ARMED FORCES don't have that problem."
Ronald Wilson Reagan, 1911-2004, 40th President of the United States of America

Old 11-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #25

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Although I still stand by my suggestion of a snubnosed Chiappa Rhino, a North American Arms Mini revolver in .22 is possibly the easiest revolver in the world to conceal regardless of what you wear or how small your purse is.

When you consider that female victims are more likely to experience a face-to-face altercation, you'd probably end up using the NAA Mini revolver as a "belly gun". Being so tiny, it can even remain concealed with nothing but the waist straps of regular tight yoga pants.

I'm willing to admit this is shameless bias on my part, as I own both the .357/.38SPCL Rhino and a NAA Mini in interchangeable. 22LR/.22WMR

forumrunner_20121102_153500.jpg

GrizzlyGurl Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #26

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

The NAA is a decent weapon but don't expect a performance boost out of the 22 wmr. The 22 wmr in a rifle is a powerful round that will take a lot of game or defend a person with a single shot. In a pistol the 22 mag isn't a lot better than a 22 LR. Both require perfect shot placement to be effective. Personally I would prefer something double action for a 22 of any sort.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #27

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
In a pistol the 22 mag isn't a lot better than a 22 LR. Both require perfect shot placement to be effective. Personally I would prefer something double action for a 22 of any sort.
As a lady will typically find herself assaulted up close and personal, shot placement is moot point with this gun. In any case, I don't think anyone can expect a 1" barreled wheelgun to be all that accurate.

However, I'd welcome anyone to volunteer to have me shove and fire a NAA pressed into your gut with .22 magnums

Old 11-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #28

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 18

If you're going to buy a firearm go semi auto. Unless your CHL restricts you to revovler. The recoil on most is more stright back than a J frame revolver.
You have more rounds should you need them. And it allows for a larger caliber. I carry a Glock 30 (.45 ACP) Plenty of stopping power and 11 rounds. Twice what any revolver can carry. I do carry a snubbie .30 revolver as a back up ankle gun sometimes. Just my two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyGurl View Post
I've been doing some research today and I've come to the conclusion that a revolver will work out best for what I want and need it for.
Goal: to have/own/carry a concealed gun on self or purse
History: have concealed weapons permit, shot husband's makarov, unknown other pistol, shotgun a couple of times, own multiple knives
Preferences: hammerless revolver, concern on kick (found difficulty to manage in husband's guns) and concern over pain in knuckles if I have to repetitively shoot.
Pro: hammerless has less chance to snag in a purse Con: trigger needs more lbs of pressure to pull. repetitive use and practice downrange will be limited
Pro: hammer could help with joint problem
I have researched and found some hammerless I want to test out myself, but I want some opinions on this.
1. In your opinion, what do you see in this small battle in choosing between hammerless and hammer?
2. I keep seeing statement of people saying certain calibers(.357) and certain gun models(SW 642) are not good for a beginner. Why? Why must I go with a .22? what's the big difference? And I honestly have caught myself drooling a few times over variations of the S & Wes m 642 and look forward to testing it out. What's the big deal?
3. I look at the revolver and I picture more concealment challenges than say a pistol. What's your opinion? Are there ways that are more difficult to conceal a revolver than a pistol?

Old 11-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyGurl View Post
I've been doing some research today and I've come to the conclusion that a revolver will work out best for what I want and need it for.
Goal: to have/own/carry a concealed gun on self or purse
History: have concealed weapons permit, shot husband's makarov, unknown other pistol, shotgun a couple of times, own multiple knives
Preferences: hammerless revolver, concern on kick (found difficulty to manage in husband's guns) and concern over pain in knuckles if I have to repetitively shoot.
Pro: hammerless has less chance to snag in a purse Con: trigger needs more lbs of pressure to pull. repetitive use and practice downrange will be limited
Pro: hammer could help with joint problem
I have researched and found some hammerless I want to test out myself, but I want some opinions on this.
1. In your opinion, what do you see in this small battle in choosing between hammerless and hammer?
2. I keep seeing statement of people saying certain calibers(.357) and certain gun models(SW 642) are not good for a beginner. Why? Why must I go with a .22? what's the big difference? And I honestly have caught myself drooling a few times over variations of the S & Wes m 642 and look forward to testing it out. What's the big deal?
3. I look at the revolver and I picture more concealment challenges than say a pistol. What's your opinion? Are there ways that are more difficult to conceal a revolver than a pistol?
If it was me I would consider a 642 and get a competent gunsmith to replace the springs and do an action job. That's what I did for my daughter and it's one of her favorite firearms for concealed carry.

Revolvers are more difficult to conceal due to their wider dimensions. a pistol is essentially flat while a revolver has the cylinder bulge.

Let me give you a clue that will help you down the road. Go take a look at your wardrobe. Can you easily conceal a handgun under what you normally wear day to day? If it's marginal you might want to consider a pistol. If you think you can do it easily a revolver should work. If you couldn't hide a stick of gum in your clothing go with purse carry.

You bought your clothes to fit your style. You are not going to change your way of dressing to conceal a weapon. You may make some changes but you will eventually feel uncomfortable and drift back to what you have now. That means you may stop carrying. Look at your clothes, decide how and what you are going to carry, and stick with it.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Those 2 guns I can see why. And the statement someone made of guns being like tools makes more sense in that picture for me. One is to be concealed in a small place and is there for emergencies and first and closest weapon. The bigger for when you can conceal in certain or more extreme situations. and I am drooling over how the rhino looks.