First Gun will be a revolver, but what kind/caliber?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > First Gun will be a revolver, but what kind/caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default First Gun will be a revolver, but what kind/caliber?

I've been doing some research today and I've come to the conclusion that a revolver will work out best for what I want and need it for.
Goal: to have/own/carry a concealed gun on self or purse
History: have concealed weapons permit, shot husband's makarov, unknown other pistol, shotgun a couple of times, own multiple knives
Preferences: hammerless revolver, concern on kick (found difficulty to manage in husband's guns) and concern over pain in knuckles if I have to repetitively shoot.
Pro: hammerless has less chance to snag in a purse Con: trigger needs more lbs of pressure to pull. repetitive use and practice downrange will be limited
Pro: hammer could help with joint problem
I have researched and found some hammerless I want to test out myself, but I want some opinions on this.
1. In your opinion, what do you see in this small battle in choosing between hammerless and hammer?
2. I keep seeing statement of people saying certain calibers(.357) and certain gun models(SW 642) are not good for a beginner. Why? Why must I go with a .22? what's the big difference? And I honestly have caught myself drooling a few times over variations of the S & Wes m 642 and look forward to testing it out. What's the big deal?
3. I look at the revolver and I picture more concealment challenges than say a pistol. What's your opinion? Are there ways that are more difficult to conceal a revolver than a pistol?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1216 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 513

The very first gun my wife shot was my Ruger Blackhawk 357 mag, using 38 spl ammo.

When she picked out her handgun she chose the S&W 642 airweight 38 spl.
The 642 is not designed as a range gun, but it is not unbearable to shoot enough to maintain proficiency.

However, make sure you check Ruger's LCR. Reviews of the LCR are good and it is reported to have a much trigger than the 642.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

2) .357 makes more noise and has more recoil than a .22 (as you know).

The 642 is a .38 special and would make a very nice first gun, in my opinion.

For one thing a hammerless model is easier to defend your use of if a prosecutor takes you to court. Let's say you claim you had no choice except to fire in self defense. A favorite trick of a lawyer prosecuting you (or in a civil suit against you) is to claim that you did have a better option but you just got nervous and accidently fired the gun when you really did not want to and therefore it was not a situation where shooting was necessary. And therefore you are guilty of negligent manslaughter (or that you should therefore lose the suit against you).

If you used a hammerless model in an altercation, well it takes a long exerted trigger deliberate pull, so this takes away that line of accusation. It is almost physically impossible to accidentally fire a hammerless revolver. So, you just stick to your story the assailant was a deadly threat to you and you had no choice. The possibility of accidental (and also negligent) is taken out of the picture. This completely foils any attempt for a lawyer to get you to say the wrong thing on the stand, namely that you were nervous and therefore accidently did the wrong thing.

A prosecutor then has a much tougher burden, he must show that you deliberately murdered someone in cold blood. This the jury is not likely to believe that if you are a solid citizen confronted by an assailant. But a jury might well come to be persuaded by a slick lawyer that you accidently shot someone and therefore you must pay for. With a hammerless model, this line of attack against you in court is taken out of the picture.

I think a hammerless double action revolver is the easiest gun to present a plausible defense when answering for any altercation afterwards in court.

It doesn't snag. You always know the condition of the gun, it is always uncocked. I like a hammerless revolver for a civilian defense weapon.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Ruger LCR hands down!

Get the 38 spl +P model, it's all you need.

Best DA trigger in this genre.

Only 13.5 ozs and < 1 lb loaded!

21v2o.jpg

Practice with 38 spl target loads and carry with Buffalo Bore, Heavy .38 Special +P Ammo - 158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P. w/G.C. (1,000fps/M.E. 351 ft.lbs.)

heavybb38.jpg

Best bathing suit carry when a 45 ACP just won't work!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
People Like This 
Old 11-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #5

Liked 393 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Try the S&W Bodyguard. I won't debate whether it's better than an LCR, but it is an option and comes standard with a laser sight.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #6

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
Try the S&W Bodyguard. I won't debate whether it's better than an LCR, but it is an option and comes standard with a laser sight.
Lasers are too distracting for someone learning how to properly shoot their first SD handgun. That's just my opinion...
I'm also going to suggest you take a good look at the Ruger LCR chambered in 38+p.
phildenton Likes This 
Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #7

Liked 321 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Last edited by AsSeenOnTV; 11-19-2012 at 01:43 PM.
People Like This 
Old 11-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1150 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 690

as mentioned the ruger LCR. you can carry .357/ practice with 38's and if you really like it they also make it in .22lr. you could buy both. get TONS of practice with it in .22. and occasionally shoot it in the .357/38. by using the same exact platform everything about shooting it would become second nature, or muscle memory. its very small and easy to conceal almost anywhere.

con would be buying 2 pistols.... wait, who frets about more guns? hehe

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

While a .22LR revolver shouldn't be scoffed at in the hands of a skilled shot, I recommend going with .38 Special as your first SD revolver. This gives you the versatility of practicing with a lower recoil caliber to get your accuracy and precision down pat, and then begin experimenting with +P or 357 magnum as you become more confident in your shots.

If perceived recoil is a huge factor, consider looking at the 2" snubnosed Chiappa Rhino. From personal experience with my four inch Rhino, I can attest to the fact that shooting .38 Specials through it feels a whole lot like shooting .22's.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #10

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The 642 is a very good choice and looking into different grips can change the behavior of the gun to suit you better.You mentioned weak knuckles and wont get much range time. If your planning on mastering a double action 642 you better plan on a lot of range time and practicing with snap caps at home. I love revovers and collect smith and wessons and would never try to steer any one away from buying one. But shooting with a double action is a lot more difficult than with a single action or semi auto. It takes different muscle control, breathing and holding a site picture is different.
A 38 special is all you need and a 357 in a j frame is a fire breathing huge muzzle flash with lots of recoil that will sting your hand and sometimes hurt your trigger finger.
You can listen to all the more people have been killed with a 22 crap all you want.But a 22 is not your best choice for conceal carry and trigger pull is not going be better on a 22 over any other caliber. Shooting double action with a 22 is also difficult to master.
You could also buy a say model 36 used and use the hammer as you get good single action and after you learn the double have the hammer bobbed off.
But i would not rule out a semi auto being way easier to learn with and way lighter trigger pull.Lots of great choices and the members in here can help point you to a good one that should do you a good job.I would ignore the 22 or 357 magnum suggestions and stick with a 38 special in a revolver and in a bottom feeder at least a 9mm or better a 40.