first gun please help. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > first gun please help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2264 Times on 1223 Posts
Likes Given: 819

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieDontUKnowMe View Post
I am turning 21 on oct 23 so i will be able to buy my very first gun! andi am so excited, i know nothing about guns really. out of the hand guns ive seen i got to say revolvers are the ones that catch my eye and just have that amazing look to them, im shooting for 9mm revolver something good easy to take apart and clean. Im looking to spend in the range of $500 to $600, Can someone link me some good revolvers or tell me the name of some good revolvers in that price range that would be a good beginner gun. thanks alot for reading my thread and for helping a beginner to the hobby of guns!
Getting back to your original premise. You're going to buy a handgun, and you want a revolver. One of your first two guns will be a .22. I can pretty well guarantee that. So do you want your first gun to be a .22, or do you want a "major" caliber.

If you are going to go for a major caliber, the revolver is perfectly suited for the most flexible caliber out there... the .357. You can shoot inexpensive .38 loads. Or you can shoot one of the best designed man-stoppers around, .357 magnum rounds. A 9mm revolver is niche, the .357 is the standard. Go with the standard.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 10-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #12
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7643 Times on 4592 Posts
Likes Given: 9553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
If I had two guns it would be a 4" .357 revolver and an AR15

I already have the .357 revolver and through reading on here, I now want a AR15. I agree with Flat Tire's statement. If I can get me an AR15, I believe my gun shopping days would be over. Well....okay.....maybe a .22 revolver for some cheap target shooting. THEN I'd be done gun shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGaryM View Post
If you like revolvers I would go with a Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel. It is a perfect all around handgun. It is easy to shoot. You can shoot both .38's and .357's from it. Ruger is the most solid built revolver out there. If you take care of it a Ruger revolver will be around long after all of us are not. They can be bought around $500 and will last a lifetime.
This is the gun I have, except in 6" barrel. I think it is a very good first gun for all the reasons mentioned by Gary. For now it is my first and only gun and was recommended to me by a pretty knowledgeable gun person. Go to a gun shop and look at one. Fun range gun, excellent self defense gun, easy to see if it's empty. Great all around first gun for a newbie like me!! If I never buy another gun I could be happy with my Ruger GP100 for many different reasons.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #13

Originally Posted by KWGaryM
If you like revolvers I would go with a Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel. It is a perfect all around handgun. It is easy to shoot. You can shoot both .38's and .357's from it. Ruger is the most solid built revolver out there. If you take care of it a Ruger revolver will be around long after all of us are not. They can be bought around $500 and will last a lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
This is the gun I have, except in 6" barrel. I think it is a very good first gun for all the reasons mentioned by Gary. For now it is my first and only gun and was recommended to me by a pretty knowledgeable gun person. Go to a gun shop and look at one. Fun range gun, excellent self defense gun, easy to see if it's empty. Great all around first gun for a newbie like me!! If I never buy another gun I could be happy with my Ruger GP100 for many different reasons.
Very good choice of revolver in either 4" or 6" barrel. The 4" will be more practical for a carry gun or even out on the trails. The 6" will be more accurate for target shooting. Either will do fine for home defense. Either way you won't go wrong.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9363 Times on 4037 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

Quote:
THEN I'd be done gun shopping.
BWAAAAHHHAAAAA !!!! (evil laughter in case you missed it)

SET THE HOOK NOW- WE GOT ANOTHER ONE!

You just have not met the 98K Mauser, the Marlin 30-30, the Colt Army single action, the SXS .410 that reaches out and GRABS YOU.

Yer addicted, brother, just like the rest of us- you just have not figured it out. Trust me- 4 Remington 550-1s in the safe, and I figured it out!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:18 AM   #15
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I agree with Flat Tire's statement. If I can get me an AR15, I believe my gun shopping days would be over.
Shoot, I was just telling my wife over the weekend... "Face it... by the time we're old and gray, I'll have as many guns as you have pairs of shoes."

All she could say was "That's a lot of guns."

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 10-05-2010, 04:42 AM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Here we go again. . . Do the right thing and. . .

BUY YOURSELF A .357 REVOLVER!!!

SMITH OR RUGER!You can practice with .38s for cheap, you can use it for anything from bad guys to bears, it will out live you, it will make oyu VERY happy, etc., etc.

No drawbacks.

This should be a top commandment for gun ownership.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #17
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7643 Times on 4592 Posts
Likes Given: 9553

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post

SMITH OR RUGER!You can practice with .38s for cheap, you can use it for anything from bad guys to bears, it will out live you, it will make oyu VERY happy, etc., etc.

No drawbacks.

I agree with this!

Old 10-05-2010, 01:09 PM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post

No drawbacks.

Quote:
I agree with this!
Maybe if you put the whole thing in bold caps, we'll get the point across.

Scott

Quote:
Quote:
Join the NRA