finally handgun hunting - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > finally handgun hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 04:32 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 613 Times on 445 Posts
Likes Given: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
Thanks. He's not huge but, I'm pretty satisfied nonetheless.

This one was taken at just shy of 50 yds.
Congrats sir on a fine shot and a beautiful trophy!

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 08-18-2013, 04:51 AM   #22

Liked 82 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller
No the standard Speer Gold Dot is only •Muzzle Velocity: 1075 fps for the factory load. The Load that I quoted is 1750 fps, huge difference in energy.

Sorry you don't reload. Any friends nearby at the local club who could help you out? It is a worthwhile thing to learn if you are going to shoot a lot of ammo. My cost per box of 50 on this load is about $12. Kind of makes you think....

For a factory hunting load the old black talon loads were hard to beat. Remington and Winchester both make a hardball load in 240 grains that many people swear by. Winchester makes a razorback hollowpoint that a non-reloading friend of mine swears by.

Fiocchi Extrema Ammunition 44 Remington Magnum 200 Grain Hornady XTP Jacketed Hollow Point comes as close to my load as anything I can find from the factory loads. •Muzzle Velocity: 1490 fps •Muzzle Energy: 1008 ft. lbs

Hornady LEVERevolution Ammunition 44 Remington Magnum 225 Grain Flex Tip eXpanding also looks pretty good. •Muzzle Velocity: 1410 fps •Muzzle Energy: 993 ft. lbs.

Both these are a little on the pricy side but offer high terminal performance, like stop a charging bear level of energy without an extreme pass through. Hope this helps.

Just found this

Speer Gold Dot Ammunition 44 Remington Magnum 210 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point, Muzzle Velocity: 1450 fps, Muzzle Energy: 980 ft. lbs. This is listed as handgun Hunting ammo on the box. Very close to my load.

All This info quoted from midways website...
Thank you that helps me out alot. Cost isn't a factor since I won't be shooting it like I do my other pistols. I actually don't know a single person that reloads. Well change that I do one but no .44 mag. I will look into all you have mentioned And find a good hunting load. With deer season in a few weeks I better get on it. Also any suggestions on getting a scope? Money is a huge factor. I know I know you get what you pay for, ill be wasting money spending fifty on a scope but anyways just let me know if you have any suggestions on a scope around $75 or under? I heard nc star were a good bang for the buck. I will get different rings such as Leopold.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:57 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
Thank you that helps me out alot. Cost isn't a factor since I won't be shooting it like I do my other pistols. I actually don't know a single person that reloads. Well change that I do one but no .44 mag. I will look into all you have mentioned And find a good hunting load. With deer season in a few weeks I better get on it. Also any suggestions on getting a scope? Money is a huge factor. I know I know you get what you pay for, ill be wasting money spending fifty on a scope but anyways just let me know if you have any suggestions on a scope around $75 or under? I heard nc star were a good bang for the buck. I will get different rings such as Leopold.
Sorry, not much help on the scope end as I shoot all iron sights on mine. Best of luck and get the best you can afford you'll never be sorry.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Last edited by dwmiller; 08-18-2013 at 05:15 AM.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:10 AM   #24

Liked 535 Times on 322 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucznik View Post
No.

I grew up in Utah and now live in SW Wyoming. No white tails at all in the former and very, very few in the later.

I have killed a few pronghorn antelope with my revolvers. I have tried on Mule Deer as well but I haven't found one I was willing to drop the hammer on.

I just picked up a .44 Mag last September and hope to kill an elk or two this year with it.

Here's one of my pronghorn...

Attachment 114528
I'd love to hunt for pronghorn. They're the fastest game in North America and can reach speeds as high as 60 mph. Beautiful animal and nice shot.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #25

Any suggestions on paint for front sight?

Old 08-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #26

For the white that bright white appliance touch up paint. Comes in a nail polish size bottle with a brush in the lid. Very hard stuff when dry.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #27

Liked 171 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 178

I bought this Ruger over 20 years ago...my first handgun purchase of my life, for the sole purpose of hunting Whitetails....I lived in Alabama at the time. I moved from the state shortly after and hunting became less and less a part of my life and fishing replaced it as my main passion and it is still so.

In a couple of weeks I will be taking a job back in Alabama and I suspect hunting will again be something I do...Alabama has tremendous opportunity due to large tracts of Timber company land that can be leased and used as hunting clubs.

This gun is very accurate...just a matter of how good he operator is. I am looking forward to taking an animal with this gun!
ruger44.jpg  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-18-2013, 01:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller
For the white that bright white appliance touch up paint. Comes in a nail polish size bottle with a brush in the lid. Very hard stuff when dry.
Wal mart maybe?

Old 08-18-2013, 01:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser
I bought this Ruger over 20 years ago...my first handgun purchase of my life, for the sole purpose of hunting Whitetails....I lived in Alabama at the time. I moved from the state shortly after and hunting became less and less a part of my life and fishing replaced it as my main passion and it is still so.

In a couple of weeks I will be taking a job back in Alabama and I suspect hunting will again be something I do...Alabama has tremendous opportunity due to large tracts of Timber company land that can be leased and used as hunting clubs.

This gun is very accurate...just a matter of how good he operator is. I am looking forward to taking an animal with this gun!
Very nice ruger man!

Old 08-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblowe13 View Post
Wal mart maybe?
Them, Lowes or home depot. I haven't bought any in years. I've got an old bottle on the kitchen shelf from when the kids were still young enough to be dinging the refrigerator with their tricycles....