Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   finally handgun hunting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/finally-handgun-hunting-95589/)

cblowe13 08-17-2013 03:44 AM

finally handgun hunting

1 Attachment(s)
I finally picked up my deer gun. I've been wanting this for a long time. .44 mag raging bull!!!!!!!

Attachment 114402

JW357 08-17-2013 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblowe13
I finally picked up my deer gun. I've been wanting this for a long time. .44 mag raging bull!!!!!!!

Nice. Congrats.

cblowe13 08-17-2013 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357

Nice. Congrats.

Thank you! I can't go to sleep for looking at it!

cblowe13 08-17-2013 04:47 AM

Any handgun hunters here? I'm just trying to challenge myself but keep it within a kill shot range. I will NEVER take a shot no matter how big unless I know I will drop the deer.

lucznik 08-17-2013 07:16 PM

I love handgun hunting. It is a blast! (pun intended)

The trick is to keep your shots within the range you are actually competent in and to take only shots that you are very sure about. But, then again, these same principles apply equally to rifles, muzzle loaders, and archery equipment as well.

cblowe13 08-17-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucznik
I love handgun hunting. It is a blast! (pun intended)

The trick is to keep your shots within the range you are actually competent in and to take only shots that you are very sure about. But, then again, these same principles apply equally to rifles, muzzle loaders, and archery equipment as well.

Taken any whitetail down with a revolver?

lucznik 08-18-2013 12:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No.

I grew up in Utah and now live in SW Wyoming. No white tails at all in the former and very, very few in the later.

I have killed a few pronghorn antelope with my revolvers. I have tried on Mule Deer as well but I haven't found one I was willing to drop the hammer on.

I just picked up a .44 Mag last September and hope to kill an elk or two this year with it.

Here's one of my pronghorn...

Attachment 114528

Rick1967 08-18-2013 12:35 AM

I have a 7 1/2 inch Super Blackhawk. I hoped to shoot an Elk last year. But never saw one. I would never take a shot at an elk from more than 50 or 60 yards. I want to hunt...not run around wounding animals. I wish you the best of luck. If you get one please share the story with us later.

dwmiller 08-18-2013 12:37 AM

Nice pronghorn. I've always wanted to hunt one but have not had the chance yet. What kind of range were you shooting at?

I've been deer hunting here in Ohio with my 44 Mag Blackhawk (7.5 inch barrel) for about 14 years now. Numerous deer taken, its plenty of gun to do the job. Take a look at the 200 and 240 grain bullets, anything heavier is vast overkill on anything as thin skinned as a whitetail deer. I use Speer gold dots in 200 grain as my hunting load. Don't know if these are still available, my stash is many years old at this point, but will probably outlast my lifetime.

Always take your shots in your comfort range. If your not comfortable, let the shot pass. That said I've never had to trail a wounded deer, taken with the 44mag. They tend to drop where they are shot. Concentrate on making your first shot count and you'll do just fine. Good luck. :D

Rick1967 08-18-2013 12:43 AM

I would be willing to take a much longer shot at a deer. Elk are much tougher. It is like shooting at a horse. They are no fun to track.