Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Favorite Single Action Revolver Company?

View Poll Results: Favorite Single Action Revolver Company?
Beretta 0 0%
Charles Daly 0 0%
Colt 9 23.08%
EAA 0 0%
Magnum Research 0 0%
NAA 1 2.56%
Ruger 29 74.36%
Uberti 4 10.26%
US Firearms 1 2.56%
Other 2 5.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
Most cheap guns are cranked out by the truck load, cause most anyone can afford them and some people just rather pay for a Yugo as opposed to a Lexus. I've never shot a Ruger that felt as good in the hand as any Colt, or for that matter any Italian Colt copy. Maybe Gary Reeder's Rugers are the exception, but you have to cough up big bucks for them. The Ruger triggers just plain suck out of the box and not having those 4 clicks when cocking the revolver just doesn't seem right to me.

Please don't say Colts always need to be repaired in front of my 100+ year old Colts, cause you'll hurt their feelings. Rugers are stronger than I necessarily would need and people without knowledge are the ones that usually cause damage to Colt SA's. I let no one touch my Colts unless they know what they're doing. Fanning and incorrectly cocking the hammer can cause broken springs, or hammer notches. In over 40 years of playing with them I never had a problem.

I won't defend the new Colts being manufactured, cause I don't own any, but those produced through the 2nd generations, which I feel are the finest SA's ever made, are works of art and have proven to be able to function under the worst possible conditions.

If a Ruger is what you want then who am I to say you shouldn't get one? By all means get what you feel is best. But I've been around the block too many times to not know which SA's were the finest ever made. It's true Colts aren't always easily found, but the biggest reason for their high cost is that the quality of the old ones will never be seen again and won't be found in any Ruger taken straight off the shelf. Also the history of the Colt is something that no other gun company could ever manufacture, cause that is earned through time with use. That's a fact that the greatest SA experts in the world would agree with.
All im saying is you cant run a colt saa hard. Same as i cant run my colt python hard. Thats not what they are and its why they break when used in such a fashion.

Its why i dont use a pair of colts for my cas shooting. If you ever find yourself in se wisconsin give me a yell. I love my colt guns i love the craftsmanship that goes into them.

How many clicks it has doesnt mean much to me as i grew up on semi auto colt 1911's. Two clicks.

I havent been doing cas a long time but ive seen what guns work for it and what doesnt.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 355 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I was shooting my Ruger Blackhawk .357 just a couple of hours ago, it's a great gun.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #23

Liked 464 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
All im saying is you cant run a colt saa hard. Same as i cant run my colt python hard. Thats not what they are and its why they break when used in such a fashion.

Its why i dont use a pair of colts for my cas shooting. If you ever find yourself in se wisconsin give me a yell. I love my colt guns i love the craftsmanship that goes into them.

How many clicks it has doesnt mean much to me as i grew up on semi auto colt 1911's. Two clicks.

I havent been doing cas a long time but ive seen what guns work for it and what doesnt.
I have a couple of friends that are involved with cas shooting, but nothing's close enough to where I am, so I never quite got into it even though I'm a very big western buff and collect western guns and various items. My grandfather was a trick roper and bronc rider in the 101 Ranch Wild West Show so the west is in my blood even though I'm an easterner. That's probably where my love for the Colt came from.

I understand what you're saying regarding using Rugers and even Italian replicas when shooting cas. My friend told me how they beat the hell out of their guns, but he uses a Colt as well. I've spent most of my life shooting revolvers though I love shooting my autos as well. I'm just too used to shooting those Colts. The Ruger's feel and the weight alone is something that I was never able to be comfortable with. It may seem silly, but those 4 clicks is something I just can't eliminate after so many years. I have to admit that the Bisley grip design that the Ruger uses is probably more comfortable for most compared to the Colt configuration.

I have to say that I've always been curious about how I would feel shooting one of those Gary Reeder Rugers. Thanks for the invite. If I ever make it out to your neck of the woods I'll definitely give you a shout.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
I have a couple of friends that are involved with cas shooting, but nothing's close enough to where I am, so I never quite got into it even though I'm a very big western buff and collect western guns and various items. My grandfather was a trick roper and bronc rider in the 101 Ranch Wild West Show so the west is in my blood even though I'm an easterner. That's probably where my love for the Colt came from.

I understand what you're saying regarding using Rugers and even Italian replicas when shooting cas. My friend told me how they beat the hell out of their guns, but he uses a Colt as well. I've spent most of my life shooting revolvers though I love shooting my autos as well. I'm just too used to shooting those Colts. The Ruger's feel and the weight alone is something that I was never able to be comfortable with. It may seem silly, but those 4 clicks is something I just can't eliminate after so many years. I have to admit that the Bisley grip design that the Ruger uses is probably more comfortable for most compared to the Colt configuration.

I have to say that I've always been curious about how I would feel shooting one of those Gary Reeder Rugers. Thanks for the invite. If I ever make it out to your neck of the woods I'll definitely give you a shout.
the older vaqueros i dont care for as they are merely blackhawks. they are big and clunky. the new vaquero i like a LOT eyes closed i honestly cant tell if im holding a colt or my vaquero.

the uberti clones are pretty damn good but need work to run hard and are still delicate. seen a few with issues doing the cas thing

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

What? No S&W?

I'd love a pair of Ruger Vaqueros, so that's what I picked.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
What? No S&W?

You're not alone. The Vaqueros are very popular. Just hope you're happy with the choice you make, but I'd send anything you get to Gary Reeder and have it tuned up a bit. Apparently he has a whole lot of expertise where Rugers are concerned and though expensive to have him work on it, I feel the investment will payoff in the long run with dependable and enjoyable shooting for many years to come and help to increase it's value for sure.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #27

Liked 220 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Well, let's see. Out of eight of my .44's, seven are Ruger:

And out of seven of my .45s, five are Rugers:

Second from left, top row, is nearing the 20,000 round milestone.

Bob Wright

Old 08-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #28
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7334 Times on 4252 Posts
Likes Given: 9451

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
What? No S&W?

Does S&W produce many single-action revolvers? I have a few DA S&Ws but I am not aware of any SA they make (Not an expert on S&W by any means).

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3594 Times on 2237 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Does S&W produce many single-action revolvers? I have a few DA S&Ws but I am not aware of any SA they make (Not an expert on S&W by any means).
I wasn't aware of any either.

Always have clean socks.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I wasn't aware of any either.
S&W reintroduced their Schofield SA some years ago, but they're over a grand. The shorter barrel version is called the Wells Fargo, which happens to be nice. Buying one of theirs is at least a modern made original Smith as opposed to the Italian copies, though theirs are nice as well and a bit cheaper in price.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 08-01-2013 at 11:42 PM.