Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Favorite Single Action Revolver Company?

View Poll Results: Favorite Single Action Revolver Company?
Beretta 0 0%
Charles Daly 0 0%
Colt 9 23.08%
EAA 0 0%
Magnum Research 0 0%
NAA 1 2.56%
Ruger 29 74.36%
Uberti 4 10.26%
US Firearms 1 2.56%
Other 2 5.13%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #21
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 16,224
Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
Most cheap guns are cranked out by the truck load, cause most anyone can afford them and some people just rather pay for a Yugo as opposed to a Lexus. I've never shot a Ruger that felt as good in the hand as any Colt, or for that matter any Italian Colt copy. Maybe Gary Reeder's Rugers are the exception, but you have to cough up big bucks for them. The Ruger triggers just plain suck out of the box and not having those 4 clicks when cocking the revolver just doesn't seem right to me.

Please don't say Colts always need to be repaired in front of my 100+ year old Colts, cause you'll hurt their feelings. Rugers are stronger than I necessarily would need and people without knowledge are the ones that usually cause damage to Colt SA's. I let no one touch my Colts unless they know what they're doing. Fanning and incorrectly cocking the hammer can cause broken springs, or hammer notches. In over 40 years of playing with them I never had a problem.

I won't defend the new Colts being manufactured, cause I don't own any, but those produced through the 2nd generations, which I feel are the finest SA's ever made, are works of art and have proven to be able to function under the worst possible conditions.

If a Ruger is what you want then who am I to say you shouldn't get one? By all means get what you feel is best. But I've been around the block too many times to not know which SA's were the finest ever made. It's true Colts aren't always easily found, but the biggest reason for their high cost is that the quality of the old ones will never be seen again and won't be found in any Ruger taken straight off the shelf. Also the history of the Colt is something that no other gun company could ever manufacture, cause that is earned through time with use. That's a fact that the greatest SA experts in the world would agree with.
All im saying is you cant run a colt saa hard. Same as i cant run my colt python hard. Thats not what they are and its why they break when used in such a fashion.

Its why i dont use a pair of colts for my cas shooting. If you ever find yourself in se wisconsin give me a yell. I love my colt guns i love the craftsmanship that goes into them.

How many clicks it has doesnt mean much to me as i grew up on semi auto colt 1911's. Two clicks.

I havent been doing cas a long time but ive seen what guns work for it and what doesnt.
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gr8oldguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 690
Liked 355 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Default

I was shooting my Ruger Blackhawk .357 just a couple of hours ago, it's a great gun.

__________________

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

gr8oldguy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 745
Liked 464 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
All im saying is you cant run a colt saa hard. Same as i cant run my colt python hard. Thats not what they are and its why they break when used in such a fashion.

Its why i dont use a pair of colts for my cas shooting. If you ever find yourself in se wisconsin give me a yell. I love my colt guns i love the craftsmanship that goes into them.

How many clicks it has doesnt mean much to me as i grew up on semi auto colt 1911's. Two clicks.

I havent been doing cas a long time but ive seen what guns work for it and what doesnt.
I have a couple of friends that are involved with cas shooting, but nothing's close enough to where I am, so I never quite got into it even though I'm a very big western buff and collect western guns and various items. My grandfather was a trick roper and bronc rider in the 101 Ranch Wild West Show so the west is in my blood even though I'm an easterner. That's probably where my love for the Colt came from.

I understand what you're saying regarding using Rugers and even Italian replicas when shooting cas. My friend told me how they beat the hell out of their guns, but he uses a Colt as well. I've spent most of my life shooting revolvers though I love shooting my autos as well. I'm just too used to shooting those Colts. The Ruger's feel and the weight alone is something that I was never able to be comfortable with. It may seem silly, but those 4 clicks is something I just can't eliminate after so many years. I have to admit that the Bisley grip design that the Ruger uses is probably more comfortable for most compared to the Colt configuration.

I have to say that I've always been curious about how I would feel shooting one of those Gary Reeder Rugers. Thanks for the invite. If I ever make it out to your neck of the woods I'll definitely give you a shout.
__________________
gunsmoke11 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #24
Moderator
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JonM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rochester WI,Rochester WI
Posts: 16,224
Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
I have a couple of friends that are involved with cas shooting, but nothing's close enough to where I am, so I never quite got into it even though I'm a very big western buff and collect western guns and various items. My grandfather was a trick roper and bronc rider in the 101 Ranch Wild West Show so the west is in my blood even though I'm an easterner. That's probably where my love for the Colt came from.

I understand what you're saying regarding using Rugers and even Italian replicas when shooting cas. My friend told me how they beat the hell out of their guns, but he uses a Colt as well. I've spent most of my life shooting revolvers though I love shooting my autos as well. I'm just too used to shooting those Colts. The Ruger's feel and the weight alone is something that I was never able to be comfortable with. It may seem silly, but those 4 clicks is something I just can't eliminate after so many years. I have to admit that the Bisley grip design that the Ruger uses is probably more comfortable for most compared to the Colt configuration.

I have to say that I've always been curious about how I would feel shooting one of those Gary Reeder Rugers. Thanks for the invite. If I ever make it out to your neck of the woods I'll definitely give you a shout.
the older vaqueros i dont care for as they are merely blackhawks. they are big and clunky. the new vaquero i like a LOT eyes closed i honestly cant tell if im holding a colt or my vaquero.

the uberti clones are pretty damn good but need work to run hard and are still delicate. seen a few with issues doing the cas thing
__________________

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JonM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:14 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

What? No S&W?


I'd love a pair of Ruger Vaqueros, so that's what I picked.

__________________
texaswoodworker is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 745
Liked 464 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
What? No S&W?


I'd love a pair of Ruger Vaqueros, so that's what I picked.
You're not alone. The Vaqueros are very popular. Just hope you're happy with the choice you make, but I'd send anything you get to Gary Reeder and have it tuned up a bit. Apparently he has a whole lot of expertise where Rugers are concerned and though expensive to have him work on it, I feel the investment will payoff in the long run with dependable and enjoyable shooting for many years to come and help to increase it's value for sure.
__________________
gunsmoke11 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 763
Liked 220 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

Well, let's see. Out of eight of my .44's, seven are Ruger:



And out of seven of my .45s, five are Rugers:



Second from left, top row, is nearing the 20,000 round milestone.

Bob Wright

__________________
Bob Wright is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #28
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Vikingdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 13,066
Liked 7334 Times on 4252 Posts
Likes Given: 9451

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
What? No S&W?


I'd love a pair of Ruger Vaqueros, so that's what I picked.
Does S&W produce many single-action revolvers? I have a few DA S&Ws but I am not aware of any SA they make (Not an expert on S&W by any means).
__________________

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JW357's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 6,637
Liked 3594 Times on 2237 Posts
Likes Given: 1214

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

Does S&W produce many single-action revolvers? I have a few DA S&Ws but I am not aware of any SA they make (Not an expert on S&W by any means).
I wasn't aware of any either.
__________________

Always have clean socks.

JW357 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 745
Liked 464 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 224

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Does S&W produce many single-action revolvers? I have a few DA S&Ws but I am not aware of any SA they make (Not an expert on S&W by any means).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
I wasn't aware of any either.
S&W reintroduced their Schofield SA some years ago, but they're over a grand. The shorter barrel version is called the Wells Fargo, which happens to be nice. Buying one of theirs is at least a modern made original Smith as opposed to the Italian copies, though theirs are nice as well and a bit cheaper in price.
__________________

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 08-01-2013 at 11:42 PM.
gunsmoke11 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Favorite Company for Revolvers? JW357 Revolver Handguns 51 09-20-2013 02:53 AM
Single Action Murfdog Revolver Handguns 25 02-26-2012 04:20 AM
I want a good single action revolver in .357 magnum saviorslegacy Revolver Handguns 18 06-04-2010 05:47 PM
Single Action Revolver DoyleTheDog Revolver Handguns 13 01-07-2010 01:54 AM