Favorite revolver stories
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Favorite revolver stories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Favorite revolver stories

What's yours? Here's mine.

At the range with my son last week and I brought Boo along (SP101 ,357 3"). There was a beginner class at the other end of the range & every so often, one of the students would wander down and watch me shoot. Later, when the class was walking out, my son said the instructor stopped and told the class, " that's a 357 magnum...the real deal."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 AM   #2

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I had been deer hunting with my son-in-law, his dad, and a friend of my son-in-law's. I was carrying my brass butted Ruger three screw Super Blackhawk. My son-in-law was extolling the power of my .44 Magnum. We were coming out of the woods, walking along a fairly steep creek bank. Spotting an empty drink can, my son-in-law climbed down into the creek and filled the can with water, and set it upright in the sand of the creek bed.

"Watch this," my son-in-law told his friend, and told me to "bust it." The distance was maybe twenty-five~thirty yards, an easy shot. I unlimbered my Ruger, making sure I had a safe shot, and squeezed one off. There was an explosion in the sand, and the can disappeared.

"Isn't that awsome!" my son-in-law exclaimed, to which his wide-eyed friend agreed. They walked on ahead.

The explosion didn't look right to me, and out of their sight, I examined impact area. Sure enough, I had completely missed the drink can. My bullet had struck just under it enough to blow a gaping hole in the sand and the water filled can had dropped straight down into the hole, out of sight.

I never said a word.

Bob Wright

Old 11-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

I used to go to an outdoor range in central Indiana, and was there one day checking out some handloads in my .41 mag Ruger Blackhawk. Along came a young guy (forty-something) and his teenage son. The guy had just bought a S&W model 629, and was going to use it to show his son what a "macho man" he was. So his son watched while the guy flinched a few rounds at a target. Then the turkey walked over to me and said, "I jus got this .44 maayugnummm, what do you think of it?" I said it looked pretty nice. Then he offered me the glorious experience of shooting it. I said, "No thanks". I really did want to just shoot my own stuff. We said a few more words, then he asked me if his son could shoot my Blackhawk. He said he thought his .44 would be too hot for sonny-boy to handle. Then he started taunting me as if he thought I was scared to shoot the model 629. While he was doing that his son was obviously enjoying shooting my Blackhawk and my 220-grain 1625 fps handloads with no problem. So then I took his 629 and squeezed off 6 shots at a target about 50 feet away, all the shots in the 9 & 10 rings (thanks, S&W). Then I handed it back to him and said "Smith makes good guns". He was obviously disappointed. Then I offered him to try my Blackhawk. He fired it once, dropped the gun, and said "Man, I didn't know .41 magnum was that hot". I just said yep. He and his son moved to another part of the range. I hope sonny was impressed with his dad.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 11-13-2012 at 02:45 PM. Reason: My usual spelling and typo stuff
shadecorp Likes This 
Old 11-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I was at my local club shooting my three screw Blackhawk 357.

There were two young guys ( early 20s) at the other end of the range. One was clearly trying to teach/ show off to the other. He had matching Glock 17s and was spraying rounds everywhere but on target.

As I walked by he commented to his buddy that "old" guys still like revolvers. After talking briefly I challenged him to a contest. I set 10 clay pidgeons on the burm winner is first to break 5. I did it in five shots, I think he's still there wasting ammo.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #5

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

My daughter and I were at the range when she was 14, she asked if she could try my SP 101 with 38's (insert HUGE grin here). I loaded 1 round in it for her as all she had shot before were 22's. A solid 9 ring shot (even bigger grin). Then she loaded it full and put all 5 rounds in either the 9 or 10 ring, after about 25 more rounds she was feeling cocky and asked about the .357 mags and how much more they kicked. Well I gave her 1 to try and she loved it, the look in her eyes said it all, yep she was hooked. We noticed several of the guys watching to see if she was going to drop the gun or put it down but she kept on shooting like a champ.

Those range trips are special times for us, we often have 3 generations at the range together and shoot each others guns as everyone carries something different.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

People Like This 
Old 11-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7118 Times on 4285 Posts
Likes Given: 8647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
I had been deer hunting with my son-in-law, his dad, and a friend of my son-in-law's. I was carrying my brass butted Ruger three screw Super Blackhawk. My son-in-law was extolling the power of my .44 Magnum. We were coming out of the woods, walking along a fairly steep creek bank. Spotting an empty drink can, my son-in-law climbed down into the creek and filled the can with water, and set it upright in the sand of the creek bed.

"Watch this," my son-in-law told his friend, and told me to "bust it." The distance was maybe twenty-five~thirty yards, an easy shot. I unlimbered my Ruger, making sure I had a safe shot, and squeezed one off. There was an explosion in the sand, and the can disappeared.

"Isn't that awsome!" my son-in-law exclaimed, to which his wide-eyed friend agreed. They walked on ahead.

The explosion didn't look right to me, and out of their sight, I examined impact area. Sure enough, I had completely missed the drink can. My bullet had struck just under it enough to blow a gaping hole in the sand and the water filled can had dropped straight down into the hole, out of sight.

I never said a word.

Bob Wright
Great story!!

Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #7

In the summer of 1981 I was hunting groundhog with a man that was a friend of my-son-in-law (different son-in-law, in Ohio) who was familiar with the area and sort of my guide. We were bouncing over the countryside in his very ragged Chevrolet Blazer. The Blazer had no top, in fact very little floorboard. Winter salted roads take their toll in Ohio. I was armed with my Ruger Super Blackhawk, the brass butted one.

Suddenly he braked to a stop, and pointing, yelled (Jeff always yelled) "There's one! Can you shoot over the windshield?"

I half stood, and whipped out the .44, bracing my forearms across the windshield. Out of the tail of my eye I saw a car parked in front of us, then another. We were in a cemetery, in the midst of a funeral, the last vehicle in line.

"Jeff, I'm not going to touch off this .44 in the middle of a funeral," I sort of hissed at him.

Jeff shifted his chaw, slammed into reverse and scratched off rearward. "Oh," he exclaimed, "I didn't know you were so religeous!" And away we went.

Bob Wright

Old 11-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #8

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

A friend of mine had just purchased a wonderful S&W D/A 357 mag. I was aiming it at the mailbox out front. Right as I had a perfect bead on the mailbox he said "you can't hit that mailbox." The mailbox was over 50 yards away. I drilled it right through the center of the back, knocking the front door open. Luckily, he was to thrilled with the performance of his new pistol to be angry.

As the years rolled by I have come to the conclusion that was one of the luckiest shots I have ever made in my life. I had only shot two different pistols in my life at that point. I doubt I could make that shot again right now. He had a huge yard.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

shadecorp Likes This 
Old 11-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #9

Old_Crow, i've got to ask: Was there any junk mail in that mailbox?

That is, before you shot it?

Bob Wright

Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #10

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
Old_Crow, i've got to ask: Was there any junk mail in that mailbox?

That is, before you shot it?

Bob Wright
I doubt he had any problems seeing if the mailbox was full of junk after I shot it.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/