Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > fanning tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 05:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default fanning tips

Recently I was home on leave. Like every good boy I wanted to take my father out for some steak and then go running around to various gun stores and such. While we were running around having a good time I came across a new ruger vaquero. It's a 5 1/2" barrel, stainless and chambered in .357 magnum. I really liked the gun and decided it was time to get myself a vaquero. I picked up about 200 .38 special on my way out + a box of .357. We swung by the house and picked up a few rifles and drove out to the range. Now I like fast, and I love repetition until I am like lightning. For some reason though I cannot fan this revolver fast at all. I want to shoot it as fast as they do in SASS competitions. I have a feeling that there are some tricks that I don't know about.

Also, if you have any words of wisdom on taking care of the revolver, customizations that you like or just general information I would love to hear it.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2011, 08:24 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2309 Times on 1374 Posts
Likes Given: 1067

I personally do not like fanning and do not recommend it. I've seen too many people ruin a good firearm trying to accomplish that art.

But I suppose that muscle memeory would have a lot to do with it. Going slow and making sure the cycle gets completed is probably a good way to start.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 09-08-2011, 02:30 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How would fanning ruin the gun?

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 09-08-2011, 02:52 PM   #4

Liked 847 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 834

If you don't already know, fanning is pretty rough on a handgun. All that slamming back of the hammer puts lots of stress on the frame, hammer, cylinder stop (the part that locks the cylinder in place to align the chambers with the barrel), and pawl (the small part that turns the cylinder). Revolvers intended for lots of fanning have specially re-enforced and heat treated parts to make the revolver last longer.

When all else fails.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7622 Times on 3317 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Quote:
any words of wisdom
Don't

plus random letters to reach the 10 character minimum.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.