Fanning a blank firing revolver

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Fanning a blank firing revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Fanning a blank firing revolver

Anyone know if fanning a blank firing sa revolver is bad for it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7464 Times on 4070 Posts
Likes Given: 15357

I don't know if it is bad for the gun, but it is confusing to the athletes.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 04-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2969 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Have plenty of extra parts if you decide you want to do it.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9164 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Not good for ANY gun. Many of the blank guns are not really well made in the first place. When you slap the hammer back sharply, the hand of the revolver is being slapped against the star on the back of the cylinder, snapping the cylinder around until it slaps into the cylinder stop. Accelerates wear/breakage.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Yep. Not good for any gun.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #6

Liked 258 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yes, it is very hard on the revolver. But if you look at photos of quick draw contests, you will notice most participants do fan their guns. This is solely a one-shot speed contest, and specially designed/made revolvers are used. Most use a Ruger Vaquero with aluminum grip frames and even barrels to keep weight to a minimum, and extended wide hammers for one "slap shot" against the timer.

In such cases the revolver is considered more or less "sacrificial."

Bob Wright

P.S. I can tell you right now, from experience, never try to fan a Ruger Blackhawk.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:24 PM   #7

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
P.S. I can tell you right now, from experience, never try to fan a Ruger Blackhawk.
Is there a story behind this?

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #8

Garadex asked:

Quote:
Well, yes there is. You see many, many years ago I bought a new Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum. This in 1958, when I was somewhat younger and uneducated in the field of single action revolvers.

I had a week-end pass; I was a young soldier at Camp Roberts, Calif. at the time. A couple of other soldiers had bought handguns, too, at the same dealer in Paso Robles as I had. We drove out into the back country one hot Saturday afternoon, and did some shooting. Well, this was my very first single action, and naturally seen single actions fanned on TV and in the movies, so had to try.

So, I loaded five .38 Special wadcutters into that Ruger, and faced away to the silhouette target we had purloined from the rifle range. I braced myself, locking the wrist of my gunhand against my hipbone, and commenced to fan.

I got off three shots before the pain in the heel of my hand reached my brain. Neat little triangular gouges in that area began oozing blood.

The Blackhawk has a steel rear sight, remember? Not only had I fanned the hammer spur, but also swept my hand across the square rear sight blade.

Lesson learned.

Bob Wright
Old 04-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #9

I wrote:

Garadex asked:

Quote:
Well, yes there is. You see many, many years ago I bought a new Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum. This in 1958, when I was somewhat younger and uneducated in the field of single action revolvers.

I had a week-end pass; I was a young soldier at Camp Roberts, Calif. at the time. A couple of other soldiers had bought handguns, too, at the same dealer in Paso Robles as I had. We drove out into the back country one hot Saturday afternoon, and did some shooting. Well, this was my very first single action, and naturally seen single actions fanned on TV and in the movies, so had to try.

So, I loaded five .38 Special wadcutters into that Ruger, and faced away to the silhouette target we had purloined from the rifle range. I braced myself, locking the wrist of my gunhand against my hipbone, and commenced to fan.

I got off three shots before the pain in the heel of my hand reached my brain. Neat little triangular gouges in that area began oozing blood.

The Blackhawk has a steel rear sight, remember? Not only had I fanned the hammer spur, but also swept my hand across the square rear sight blade.

Lesson learned.

Bob Wright

Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2935 Times on 1706 Posts
Likes Given: 1750

Here's the real question: Why bother?

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.
MisterMcCool Likes This