Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   EAA Windicator .357 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/eaa-windicator-357-a-31814/)

User Name 09-16-2010 06:25 PM

EAA Windicator .357

What do you guys think about this pistol for right around 280 new? Pros? Cons? Google produced VERY mixed reviews. So I would like to see what you guys thought about this. It will be a range/carry defense gun. Thanks guys.

danf_fl 09-16-2010 07:43 PM

Although I have some different tastes than others....

I prefer ones like Colt, S&W, and Ruger. I like their track records and almost any good smith can work on one when it breaks. I don't know too many Windicator smiths.

NGIB 09-16-2010 07:45 PM

I've seen 2 of them in person. The fit & finish on one of them was merely OK. The second one was very rough and looked like it was made in a shed in someone's backyard. I'd pass...

amoroque 09-16-2010 10:53 PM

My buddy has one of these. First of all I think that 280 is too high. Think he got his for something like 240 new. Secondly, the gun doesnt function as well as anything that I would trust my life on. His is very picky about what brands of ammo you can use and some 357 rounds will jam the cylinder.
It also seems like when the gun heats up the cylinder jams too.
I dunno.....different guns for different people. I would shoot it first.

Rick1967 09-21-2010 10:45 PM

I have one. I bought it for $205 brand new. But the dealer I buy from sells really cheap. I don't listen to stories about a friend of a friend or any second hand info. I have had two EAA revolvers. The Windicator is a great gun for the money. It is heavy though. I also had a Big Bore Bounty Hunter. Also a great gun. I have probably got 1000 rounds through my Windicator. Very accurate. Never a miss-fire or a jam. I would trust my life with mine. I keep it in my bedroom closet. It is my wifes shooter.

mesinge2 09-22-2010 12:53 AM

I had both the 38 version and the 357 version. I bought the 357 model first for a boat gun. I figured if it feel over the side it only cost me $230. I still have the 357 magnum model. It has worked flawlessly. It worked so well in fact that I bought the 4" 38 SPL model as a home defense gun for my aging grandfather.

He doesn't shoot much, so he wanted me to fire it to smooth out the trigger. I fired 120rds the first range trip. During the second range trip at around round 200 the gun locked up. I couldn't open the cylinder at all and the hammer was still back over a live round. The trigger would not drop the hammer either. I put a strip of leather in front of the hammer and tied it on leather thong and used a rubber mallet to pop open the cylinder.

When I got it open the frame where the star locks in was fractured. I was only using factory 158 grain FMJ. I don't reload and I never put a +P in it (my grandfather could not handle it). I sent it to EAA and it was an exhaustive repair process. At which I sold the 38 SPL and bought him a used S&W model 64. It has always worked.

On the other hand, the 357 mag model is still trucking along. I think the 357's steel frame is the key. The 38 SPL model is an Alloy and EAA's site doesn't say what alloy.

ElvisIsDead 09-24-2010 02:07 PM

I'm a revolver man for sure. I have several autos but I carry a revolver and keep one by my bed and one hidden in my living room. If that day comes where the gang bangers are at my door dressed in black planning on hurting my family it will be my .357 magnum that sends them back to the ghetto in a body bag. I have a Windicator and it is a good little gun. I have never had a problem with it. It fires every time I pull the trigger no matter what ammo I use. I agree with the people above that have stated it is a little heavy to carry but that extra weight makes it a good gun for a first timer. That weight absorbs the recoil. The Windicator with heavy grain hot loaded .357's kicks about the same as my Airweight with .38 Specials.

It's no Colt for sure but it is also a small fraction of the price of a Colt. I like it just fine.

krazykeny 09-30-2010 06:22 AM

I have one in .357 Mag.

I have one in .357 Mag.
Gave $150.00 for it at a jacksonville florida Gun Show.
I has been a Lot more reliable than a Taurus sp101 that I had.
It is made much better than the .38 from EEA.

opusx 10-22-2012 05:23 AM

357 windicator

Quote:

Originally Posted by User Name (Post 351711)
What do you guys think about this pistol for right around 280 new? Pros? Cons? Google produced VERY mixed reviews. So I would like to see what you guys thought about this. It will be a range/carry defense gun. Thanks guys.

I own a 4" windicator 357, love this gun!

phildenton 10-23-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krazykeny
I have one in .357 Mag.
Gave $150.00 for it at a jacksonville florida Gun Show.
I has been a Lot more reliable than a Taurus sp101 that I had.
It is made much better than the .38 from EEA.

Um, i thought ruger made the sp101, not Taurus.