dumb question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > dumb question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default dumb question

Ok I am showing my ignorance here but I hope someone will answer this for me. I know with a pistol you have to rack the slide to load a round in the chamber before it will fire. With a revolver with all the chambers loaded do you have to pull the hammer back before you fire the first round? I know revolvers do not usually have a manual safety.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-23-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Your answer is yes and no and sometimes. To fire a double action revolver, you just have to squeeze the trigger. A double action revolver also gives you the option of cocking the hammer manually to shoot and usually gives a lighter trigger pull.

A single action revolver must be cocked before every shot to rotate the cylinder.

A DAO (double action only) revolver can only be fired by squeezing the trigger. Often, but not always, they have a "bobbed" (shortened) hammer and sometimes, the hammer isn't even exposed.

I realize this may seem confusing, so I suggest you do some research on Single action, double action and double action only revolvers.

Examples of Single Action would be the Ruger Blackhawk series of revolvers.

Double Action look at the Ruger GP100 revolvers.

DAO, check out some of the Smith & Wesson J frame revolvers like the Model 40.

I hope this helps.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt View Post
Ok I am showing my ignorance here but I hope someone will answer this for me. I know with a pistol you have to rack the slide to load a round in the chamber before it will fire. With a revolver with all the chambers loaded do you have to pull the hammer back before you fire the first round? I know revolvers do not usually have a manual safety.
Double action...no Single action...yes. Any pistol that has a DA or double action firing mechanism will cock and release the hammer with a single pull of the trigger, revolver or semi-auto. Racking of the slide usually accomplishes this but is actually loading a round from the magazine into the chamber. SA (single-action) pistols require the hammer to be manually cocked before firing. Some semi-auto pistols are SAO on the first shot, others are DA, still others are DAO all the time.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #4

Are any of them single action the first shot and double action on the rest?

Old 06-24-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Not that I know of. The thought behind a D/A first shot is the prevention of negligent discharges. A long, relatively heavy D/A trigger pull for the first shot and lighter, shorter subsequent shots as you have fired once and wish to continue firing in a deliberate manner.

Originally Single action meant "One way to fire, Cock the hammer manually". Double action meant Two ways to fire. DAO just seems to be a misnomer to me.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Double action meant Two ways to fire.
I thought that double action meant that with pulling the trigger, the revolver did two things, rotate the cylinder and cock the hammer. Thanks for clarification.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

Did a little morse research:
Single Action (S/A): The trigger does a single action of releasing a manually/mechanically cocked hammer.

Double Action (D/A): The trigger does two actions in sequence, 1st is to cock the hammer/striker, second is to allow release of the hammer/striker. Most in this category allows for the firearm to function as a single action (trigger releases the cocked hammer/striker).

Double Action Only (DAO): Basically does the same as the D/A, but does not allow for the S/A to function as there no way for the hammer/striker to be manually/mechanically cocked.

Some striker handguns will partially "cock" the striker when the slide is moved in loading the firearm, relying on the trigger to complete the D/A motion. Some striker handguns rely totally on the trigger to complete the D/A motion.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #8

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Can you say Mateba Model 6 Unica or Mateba Autorevolver?

It uses the recoil from firing to rotate the cylinder and cock the hammer.

300px-matebaautorevolver6in.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8841 Times on 3827 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

And a fairly rare handgun from years back- the Webley-Fosberry Automatic Revolver. When hammer falls, revolver fires, recoil pushes barrel/cylinder back on the frame, causing cylinder to rotate, hammer to cock- so double action first shot, single action thereafter.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 06-25-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8841 Times on 3827 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

webley-fosbery1.jpg
Webley-Fosberry Automatic Revolver

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.