Drums?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Drums?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 267 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Drums?

I've been noticing on several posts hereabouts the use of the word drums in referring to the cylinder of a revolver.

Is this a new buzzword? Been cylinder ever since I became interested in the handgun.

So?

Bob Wright

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I just read a post that referred to the cylinder as a revolver drum. I dunno' but it's definitely the wrong nomenclature.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #3

Liked 267 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I just read a post that referred to the cylinder as a revolver drum. I dunno' but it's definitely the wrong nomenclature.

Well, I wasn't trying to be facetious of know-it-all sounding, sometimes words come into use from many different aspects. Thought maybe correspondent was foreign or localized usage. Sure didn't mean to imply anything offensive.

Bob Wright

Old 05-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
Well, I wasn't trying to be facetious of know-it-all sounding, sometimes words come into use from many different aspects. Thought maybe correspondent was foreign or localized usage. Sure didn't mean to imply anything offensive.

Bob Wright
I certainly didn't take any offense, I agree with you. I hadn't heard it before, and it's definitely the wrong terminology.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I never heard it before but it just sounds wrong. When I hear drum in the context of weapons I think of the drum magazines, not a cylinder in a revolver.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 05-14-2009, 05:54 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2985 Times on 1556 Posts
Likes Given: 277

I can see the word "drum" being somewaht applicable to a rotary magazine fired shotgun like a Striker or Street Sweeper but for a revolver? No. It sounds more ghetto slang than anything. "Yo, Tyrone. You best be chekin' the drum on yo gat. Make sho you got enuff bu-etts."

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I can see the word "drum" being somewaht applicable to a rotary magazine fired shotgun like a Striker or Street Sweeper but for a revolver? No. It sounds more ghetto slang than anything. "Yo, Tyrone. You best be chekin' the drum on yo gat. Make sho you got enuff bu-etts."
I think you probably nailed it robo.

Street slang for a shotgun around here is a gauge.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:00 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It may be someone new to firearms calling the cylinder a drum. Like calling a mag a clip