Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Drums? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/drums-13843/)

Bob Wright 05-13-2009 02:44 PM

Drums?
 
I've been noticing on several posts hereabouts the use of the word drums in referring to the cylinder of a revolver.

Is this a new buzzword? Been cylinder ever since I became interested in the handgun.

So?


Bob Wright

CA357 05-13-2009 02:48 PM

I just read a post that referred to the cylinder as a revolver drum. I dunno' but it's definitely the wrong nomenclature.

Bob Wright 05-13-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 105771)
I just read a post that referred to the cylinder as a revolver drum. I dunno' but it's definitely the wrong nomenclature.


Well, I wasn't trying to be facetious of know-it-all sounding, sometimes words come into use from many different aspects. Thought maybe correspondent was foreign or localized usage. Sure didn't mean to imply anything offensive.

Bob Wright

CA357 05-13-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Wright (Post 105773)
Well, I wasn't trying to be facetious of know-it-all sounding, sometimes words come into use from many different aspects. Thought maybe correspondent was foreign or localized usage. Sure didn't mean to imply anything offensive.

Bob Wright

I certainly didn't take any offense, I agree with you. I hadn't heard it before, and it's definitely the wrong terminology. ;)

spittinfire 05-13-2009 04:06 PM

I never heard it before but it just sounds wrong. When I hear drum in the context of weapons I think of the drum magazines, not a cylinder in a revolver.

robocop10mm 05-14-2009 04:54 PM

I can see the word "drum" being somewaht applicable to a rotary magazine fired shotgun like a Striker or Street Sweeper but for a revolver? No. It sounds more ghetto slang than anything. "Yo, Tyrone. You best be chekin' the drum on yo gat. Make sho you got enuff bu-etts."

CA357 05-14-2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 106048)
I can see the word "drum" being somewaht applicable to a rotary magazine fired shotgun like a Striker or Street Sweeper but for a revolver? No. It sounds more ghetto slang than anything. "Yo, Tyrone. You best be chekin' the drum on yo gat. Make sho you got enuff bu-etts."

I think you probably nailed it robo. :cool:

Street slang for a shotgun around here is a gauge. :rolleyes:

WDB 05-14-2009 11:00 PM

It may be someone new to firearms calling the cylinder a drum. Like calling a mag a clip:confused:


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:18 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.