Do you shoot your Colt Python? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Do you shoot your Colt Python?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The "Python" does have a problem with timing failures. The action was dated when Colt introduced the revolver. In the 1960s police Departments and civilians had too many problems in the expensive Colt. It was dropped by Colt due to the more popular S&W Mdl. 19. I really prefer shooting the .38 Spl. in these guns and allow these old veterans a peaceful retirement.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2871 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 302

Mine is still running fine.
It was purchased in 1965 by my Dad, who put tens of thousands of rounds through it over the years. He shot PPC and Hunters Pistol Silhouette with it. They will stand up to good solid use, if one is so inclined. The so-called "delicate" lockwork isn't that fragile when treated with a bit of respect. I don't shoot it as much as I used to, I guess one could say it's gone to "Sunday Driver" status. It still gets shot though, now & then. I suppose if it was all I had, I wouldn't be shy about shooting it. FWIW, I too have a 627 PC that fills the gap rather well for most uses.
I have one safe queen, a fancy commemorative 1911 that was a gift. It's one more than I need.

I have been meaning to have a word with Colt and see if they will re-blue it when it turns 50.
Jack First is still making some parts for them, BTW. I'm certain there are other sources as well.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 11-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #13

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
That's I think where I am heading. Mine's royal blue as well. I try to think of it as money in the bank. Like many guys here I do not keep safe queens. This may be one in a lifetime exception. If I spend on a Model 327 today, the Colt value covers it and more. If I seriously train with the Colt, the mainspring will go first (replaceable, thanks nitestalker for the C&S tip), then the bluing (serious depreciation).

If I could change one thing on the Python, it would be the front sight. The blade is too thick for longer range. It would be a major custom job to get a gold bead sight. I've left no stone unturned looking for one - couldn't find it. So why not leave it alone, all stock, and reassign it to the family jewels.

I appreciate everyone's opinions. Feel free to challenge mine.
I certainly would not go modifying the Python. That's a sure fire way to ruin the value. If you've got a nice condition Python, keep it nice and don't shoot it. If you're dead set of shooting one, there are plenty of shooter grade Pythons for sale that someone else has already ruined as far as value and collectability, but still shoots good. That's what you need. Heck, I had one that someone had used one of those electric engraving pens on and they etched their own SSN into the side plate of the gun and on the bottom of the barrel. It made me sick to look at, but it shot just as good as my other guns.

And like I said, a S&W Performance Center revolver will be just as sweet to shoot for less money and from a company that will still service it and still makes parts for. Mine even came with a gold bead front sight.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2032 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

Someone etched his Social Security # on a revolver? That's Saturday Night Live. You should post a pic in a new thread. Titled "Top Ten Worst Things One Can Do With His SSN - Or With His Gun"

Old 11-06-2013, 02:56 AM   #15

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

It was a 6" blued model. I sold it several years ago.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:42 AM   #16

The American gun market makes collectible firearms. Had the Python have been a market success it would be for sale in every LGS. The S&W Mdl. 19 was the market winner and it is available in an up dated form.
The Colt Company lost the revolver market after more than 150 years. Because they lost Colt Revolvers are among the most sought after collectible firearms. It takes failure to make collectibles.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #17

Liked 248 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I don't own firearms can can't used so for me IF I had a colt it would be well used

Old 11-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I have only owned my Python for a few months and haven't gotten around to shooting it but I fully intend to in the near future. I have a bunch of full wadcutter 38 specials loaded and that is probably what I will run through it.

img_3155.jpg   img_3159.jpg  

NRA Endowdment Life Member.....F&AM
Curio and Relics License Holder (FFL 03)

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 11-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #19

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

When I had a Python, I shot it, to the tune of just over 6,000 rounds.

When I found it would not take my heavy .357 Magnum rounds (too long) I cut back to the milder .357 JHP or .38 Special +P ammo. Other than that, I never had any trouble with the Python.

But then came S&W's excellent Model 586 Distinquished Combat Magnum..............

Bob Wright

Old 11-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #20

Bob, The failure of Police owned Pythons in the 1960s was due to magnum loads. Colt never knew or didn't warn users about the older actions not being able to handle constant high pressure loads.