Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Do you shoot your Colt Python? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/do-you-shoot-your-colt-python-99917/)

Mercator 11-04-2013 02:54 PM

Do you shoot your Colt Python?

Fellow python keepers: I like to shoot mine, but thinking I might need to stop before the mainspring wears out or other problems emerge. It is in exc cond inside and out. But parts are scarce and no longer made, and competent python smiths are near extinction. Do you keep yours locked up, or do you enjoy the superb action while it lasts?

JW357 11-04-2013 03:19 PM

If I had one, I imagine I would shoot it occasionally. I would only use light pressure loads, though. I prefer to shoot all my firearms, at least sometimes. I don't own any safe queens, but a Python would be the closest thing to it (if I owned one), but would still get shot on occasion. I'm talking like once every six months or so.

Mercator 11-04-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW357 (Post 1422502)
If I had one, I imagine I would shoot it occasionally. I would only use light pressure loads, though. I prefer to shoot all my firearms, at least sometimes. I don't own any safe queens, but a Python would be the closest thing to it (if I owned one), but would still get shot on occasion. I'm talking like once every six months or so.

That's exactly what happens. I seldom shoot it, and I lose touch with it (the muscle memory for each individual handgun) Takes a few shots every time to get back in the groove. Then why shoot at all, if I can score the same off the bat with a well practiced ruger.

John_Deer 11-04-2013 04:01 PM

I don't own a python but I do own a pair of diamondbacks. If I am going to clean the gun anyway, I am going to take it out and shoot it. I kept the guns all these years because I enjoy shooting them.

mountainman13 11-04-2013 04:06 PM

I will gladly shoot your colt python.

trip286 11-04-2013 04:51 PM

****. If I had one, it'd be my daily carry. I don't buy guns to collect and try to keep pristine. They ain't the blamin "Bubble Boy".

Learn how to work on it, learn how to keep up the finish, learn how to do some minor machining, learn what parts are interchangeable or capable of being altered from other guns.

Good smiths are a dying breed? So become one.

diggler 11-05-2013 01:56 AM

My python makes a range trip a couple times a year, but always with lighter loads. It was my dad's service weapon and it has seen lots of use but it is still crisp and clean. I only have a couple true collector guns, all of them rifles which have never been fired. But they look to good to risk dings at the range.

nitestalker 11-05-2013 02:22 AM

I only use professional handgun service shops for my collectible handguns. Cylinder and Slide can repair Colt "Snakes".:)

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/

Olympus 11-05-2013 12:56 PM

I have shot mine in the past, but no longer. Mine are all Royal Blue and I don't want them to develop a turn lines. It's been years since I've shot one. I bought the S&W Performance Center 627 as the closest thing to Python quality and I shoot it all the time.

Mercator 11-05-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olympus (Post 1423352)
I have shot mine in the past, but no longer. Mine are all Royal Blue and I don't want them to develop a turn lines. It's been years since I've shot one. I bought the S&W Performance Center 627 as the closest thing to Python quality and I shoot it all the time.

That's I think where I am heading. Mine's royal blue as well. I try to think of it as money in the bank. Like many guys here I do not keep safe queens. This may be one in a lifetime exception. If I spend on a Model 327 today, the Colt value covers it and more. If I seriously train with the Colt, the mainspring will go first (replaceable, thanks nitestalker for the C&S tip), then the bluing (serious depreciation).

If I could change one thing on the Python, it would be the front sight. The blade is too thick for longer range. It would be a major custom job to get a gold bead sight. I've left no stone unturned looking for one - couldn't find it. So why not leave it alone, all stock, and reassign it to the family jewels.

I appreciate everyone's opinions. Feel free to challenge mine.