do revolvers have many issues ? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > do revolvers have many issues ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1497 Times on 1014 Posts
Likes Given: 522

I don't have enough experience with semi-auto's to have an opinion. I know when I pick up a revolver 6 large chunks of lead will come out of it at high velocity. I have owned one revolver for over 30 years, it has never broke. My gunsmith changed some springs a few years ago as preventative maintenance. I have other revolvers that are around 25 years old that have never had anything done other than preventative maintenance. The Super Blackhawk was a truck gun for over 20 years. It seldom got cleaned. It got tossed around and thrown in a toolbox for years. It still goes bang!!

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #52

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
I don't have enough experience with semi-auto's to have an opinion. I know when I pick up a revolver 6 large chunks of lead will come out of it at high velocity. I have owned one revolver for over 30 years, it has never broke. My gunsmith changed some springs a few years ago as preventative maintenance. I have other revolvers that are around 25 years old that have never had anything done other than preventative maintenance. The Super Blackhawk was a truck gun for over 20 years. It seldom got cleaned. It got tossed around and thrown in a toolbox for years. It still goes bang!!
Well said. It always comes down to personal preference. I own semi's and revolvers. Never had any functional issue with the revolvers. Have had a couple with my semi autos. I have a revolver used by my Grandmother's Uncle in the Spanish American war. It is beat up as heck, but is still mechanically sound.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #53

Liked 718 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 762

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The advantage of the revolver is the ability to function with various types of ammunition. There are 19 cartridges that will work in a 357 magnum revolver (most are obsolete)
What are they? I only know of like 22-23 calibers for my Medusa and thats including rimmless and all the 9mm cartridges...

Old 01-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #54
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5501 Times on 2872 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
there arent many revolvers that will fire 20-30 thousand rounds without things going very badly. its quite common for new version of military m9a1 berettas to run for that much or more. it was quite common for the 1911A1s to run greater round counts than that without problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1023
You've never owned a ruger or smith have you. And I was in the army for 16 years yes there are a lot of rounds put through those m9's but also it's not uncommon while qualifying to try several weapons before you get one that will shoot good enough to qualify with. And those weapons don't shoot that many many rounds with having a lot of work done to them.
Actually i own a pair of ruger new vaquero consecutive serials in 45colt45acp. Used to train folks on both m1911 and m9 beretta. Ive had soldiers complain that their issue gun didnt shoot straight. Everytime i was able to use their "crooked" gun to drill out the xring with ease. While we did have some of the early m9 that had drastic failures once they got updated and returned to us never any issues.

The time i was in we prolly fired 10k a year through em. I was in 5 years 90% of them had no issues with that sort of round count.

Ruger revolvers are good guns but not even those can hold up to that much shooting without timing issues cropping up.

All guns need maintenance revolvers need pawls and hands replaced and fitted on regular basis semi autos need extractors and recoil springs replaced.

My point is revolver more durable reliable than semi autos is pretty much a myth. They have drawbacks and issues each is just different in whats needed

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-11-2013 at 01:01 AM.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #55

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1023
You've never owned a ruger or smith have you. And I was in the army for 16 years yes there are a lot of rounds put through those m9's but also it's not uncommon while qualifying to try several weapons before you get one that will shoot good enough to qualify with. And those weapons don't shoot that many many rounds with having a lot of work done to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Actually i own a pair of ruger new vaquero consecutive serials in 45colt45acp. Used to train folks on both m1911 and m9 beretta. Ive had soldiers complain that their issue gun didnt shoot straight. Everytime i was able to use their "crooked" gun to drill out the xring with ease. While we did have some of the early m9 that had drastic failures once they got updated and returned to us never any issues.

The time i was in we prolly fired 10k a year through em. I was in 5 years 90% of them had no issues with that sort of round count.

Ruger revolvers are good guns but not even those can hold up to that much shooting without timing issues cropping up.

All guns need maintenance revolvers need pawls and hands replaced and fitted on regular basis semi autos need extractors and recoil springs replaced.

Quote:
My point is revolver more durable reliable than semi autos is pretty much a myth. They have drawbacks and issues each is just different in whats needed
Agree- anyone says a DA revolver is simpler has not torn one apart

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by JonM; 01-11-2013 at 01:02 AM. Reason: fixed quote error
eldarbeast Likes This 
Old 02-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #56

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

In a real up-close, get-a-bad-guy-off-your-butt situation, a revolver can be shoved right into the attacker without going out of battery as an autoloader may. A revolver can be fired from inside a pocket. It will really mess up the garment, but it will work, repeatedly. Trying the same thing with a pistol can render it a one-shot wonder. An assailant grabbing the slide of a pistol can easily take it out of battery so it won't fire. With a revolver he has to get a hell of a grip on the cylinder. Anything less will give him a badly burned hand as well as a problem where the bullet hits him. You can't accidentally drop the magazine or fumble the safety of a revolver. A snub revolver is very hard to take away; the leverage is almost all with the guy holding the gun.

Autoloaders have their place: I still miss the lovely, soft-shooting Glock G22 .40 S&W I had to sell due to severe financial anemia. It was the only auto I ever owned (including a beautiful old CZ-75 and a Glock 19--almost certainly bad ammo there) that NEVER failed to feed. But I'm very much a revolver man in my old age. I feel more confident carrying a Smith J-frame 640 (pre-.357 Mag and pre-lock version) or Model 10-5. Yeah, I'm 75 years old, don't get around quite as much anymore, and am a traditionalist in a lot of ways, but I've given this decision a lot of thought, research, and advice from gunsmiths and LEO's I trust. For my increasingly limited needs, the wheelers seem a better fit. But as they say so often in these forums, your mileage may vary.

Last edited by shouldazagged; 02-04-2013 at 08:57 PM.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #57

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Lots of good info on this thread. Charter Arms? I've heard some borrow stories, but I know a few people who ave shot the snot out of theirs and haven't had any issues. I have an old S&W .22 that was my granddad's from 40 years ago and I have no doubt my 8 year-old will be able to give it to his son someday. My Taurus (regardless of what you might hear) has 1000 full-house .357 through and probably twice that in .38 Special. Newer Tauri are the way to go if possible. You really can't go wrong with most Smiths or Rugers...

Bottom line, all guns are great if they are maintained and of quality build, but there is just something about a nice revolver. Pure class!

Old 02-05-2013, 02:34 AM   #58

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

The oldest revolver I shoot is 123 years old. End of story!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 AM   #59
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1850 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 564

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
The oldest revolver I shoot is 123 years old. End of story!
Did you buy it new?

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-05-2013, 03:11 AM   #60

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Did you buy it new?
I feel like I did. Actually I wish I had seeing all the crap that's going on in this country today.