Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > do revolvers have many issues ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5316 Times on 2775 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem_ View Post
revolver are alot stronger then semis.
o reellly.... i would say any revolver that the following is done to wouldnt function or be repairable.

http://youtu.be/AbvvurXmAmg
http://youtu.be/xmt5QB814Tw
http://youtu.be/2FoWpog5KU4
http://youtu.be/p_HXtEvjlGg

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 AM   #32

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

As far as these videos are concerned they were entertaining, but they should've been done along side a revolver for the purposes of this discussion. A drop test off of a tall building with both the auto and a revolver would've been interesting. I personally think the slide would've been finished.

When in LE many years ago, I chased a perp who was armed with a Galesi .25 automatic. He let it go while running across a street and I drove over it with my patrol vehicle. While attempting to unload it the slide lifted up off the rail due to it being bent. Driving over a gun in soft dirt isn't overly impressive, but is when done on a hard surface. If this had happened on dirt it probably would've functioned. I had a 1600 lb horse come down on the top of my foot while standing in very soft dirt. Fortunately I was wearing boots, but didn't get a scratch. My foot is a lot more delicate, being just flesh and bones, than a gun made of metal.

My friend has a Type 94 Jap revolver that was in a very big fire and got burned. It functions fine and I just had to re-blue it for him. There are way more weak points in an auto than there are in a revolver. Autos have more moving parts that must be aligned properly and tolerances are less forgiving than in revolvers. If that gun had been an automatic I believe there would've been a better chance that the metal would have been distorted due to heat.

All I know is that when I'm around groups shooting autos it's an almost guarantee that someone's gun will fail to function for one reason, or another. Sorry, but that guy wearing that contraption that made him look like Robby The Robot and complaining about the gun's safety was hysterical. I'm waiting for the day when someone can do with an auto what the late Bob Munden did with a gun that is virtually unchanged since 1873. www.wimp.com/fastestgunman/

Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 AM   #33
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5316 Times on 2775 Posts
Likes Given: 335

so i guess you missed the part of hammering a bolt nto the muzzle and setting off a round of 147grain hp over 9 grains of bullseye...

you shouldnt fire that revolver that got burned in a big fire!! it isnt that the metal "warps" the heat makes the etal lose its tempering weakening it greaatly. it can actually explode at any time from repeated firings. extreme heat weakens metal thats why the twin towers collapsed.

in truth semi autos are typically less complex with less need for precision fitment of parts. revolvers require things to line up perfectly for the gun to safely fire. thats why hand fitting is so important when repairing or assembling one. i think your confusing the two

there arent many revolvers that will fire 20-30 thousand rounds without things going very badly. its quite common for new version of military m9a1 berettas to run for that much or more. it was quite common for the 1911A1s to run greater round counts than that without problems

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-03-2013 at 02:43 AM.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:46 AM   #34

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

The Jap revolver was in that fire 30 years ago and was taken to a gunsmith who said it was fine. I don't know how many rounds have been put through it. I'd guess at least a few hundred due to scarcity of the ammo, but I was looking at it a couple of months ago and admiring my bluing skills. It actually looks original.

Working for almost 20 years in a dept with over 30,000 members that were armed entirely with revolvers back then I can honestly say I know personally of only one individual with any sort of problem. From time to time I did see at our gunsmith's shop revolvers that did need some sort of repair. In those cases the officers were given loners to use till repairs were made. I spent many hours over the years talking to our dept gunsmith and never once heard a word mentioned that an auto was more dependable, though during many situations they could be advantageous and I as well as many others wanted to be authorized to carry one, especially after a friend of mine was killed in the LOD while attempting to reload his revolver and the perp with a BHP came around the vehicle and shot him. The gunsmiths always said revolvers were more reliable and no one ever disagreed.

Today my son's taken my place and carries a Sig226. He had a defective mag that caused him a problem and sees incidents with other officers at the range all the time both with Sigs and Glocks. I never seen anyone pulled off the firing line when I was active with a gun that didn't function. He says it happens all the time.

Sorry, but experience in LE and handling revolvers for well over 40 years has shown me what work horses they are and what little maintenance is required to keep them going. I knew men who never cleaned their revolvers once, except maybe wipe them down, for almost 30 years. My partner used to tell me that when he shot it that's when the barrel was cleaned. I told him he was nuts. I've been with guys at the range who had more lint in their guns than you'd find on a tailor's shop floor. You ain't do'in that with an automatic and that's a fact.

This Smith's been in the rain, snow, ice storms, beach patrol with sand blowing on it for almost 20 years. It was issued to me in '68 and I still carry it in the woods and sometimes shoot it. It's also been used as a club in an emergency. I always maintained it and still have the original box. I've never had a single problem with it. Guess I'm a stubborn old fart, but love autos too.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #35

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
The Jap revolver was in that fire 30 years ago and was taken to a gunsmith who said it was fine. I don't know how many rounds have been put through it. I'd guess at least a few hundred due to scarcity of the ammo, but I was looking at it a couple of months ago and admiring my bluing skills. It actually looks original.

Working for almost 20 years in a dept with over 30,000 members that were armed entirely with revolvers back then I can honestly say I know personally of only one individual with any sort of problem. From time to time I did see at our gunsmith's shop revolvers that did need some sort of repair. In those cases the officers were given loners to use till repairs were made. I spent many hours over the years talking to our dept gunsmith and never once heard a word mentioned that an auto was more dependable, though during many situations they could be advantageous and I as well as many others wanted to be authorized to carry one, especially after a friend of mine was killed in the LOD while attempting to reload his revolver and the perp with a BHP came around the vehicle and shot him. The gunsmiths always said revolvers were more reliable and no one ever disagreed.

Today my son's taken my place and carries a Sig226. He had a defective mag that caused him a problem and sees incidents with other officers at the range all the time both with Sigs and Glocks. I never seen anyone pulled off the firing line when I was active with a gun that didn't function. He says it happens all the time.

Sorry, but experience in LE and handling revolvers for well over 40 years has shown me what work horses they are and what little maintenance is required to keep them going. I knew men who never cleaned their revolvers once, except maybe wipe them down, for almost 30 years. My partner used to tell me that when he shot it that's when the barrel was cleaned. I told him he was nuts. I've been with guys at the range who had more lint in their guns than you'd find on a tailor's shop floor. You ain't do'in that with an automatic and that's a fact.

This Smith's been in the rain, snow, ice storms, beach patrol with sand blowing on it for almost 20 years. It was issued to me in '68 and I still carry it in the woods and sometimes shoot it. It's also been used as a club in an emergency. I always maintained it and still have the original box. I've never had a single problem with it. Guess I'm a stubborn old fart, but love autos too.
I've got one just like that - a little beat up, too. From being used for 25 years. Model 14 it is. Still a great shooting gun.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:26 PM   #36

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

That is an awesome looking gun my friend ...I don't think you mentioned what caliber it is .... Will you?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #37

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Mine is 38 Special.

I'm guessing Gunsmoke's is also 38 Special - being that old. The departments were not big into 357 back then.

Oh!
No +P's then either.

Last edited by Colby; 01-03-2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: add

Old 01-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #38

That's cool... I love the look of that ol gun ...

Old 01-03-2013, 02:12 PM   #39

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
there arent many revolvers that will fire 20-30 thousand rounds without things going very badly. its quite common for new version of military m9a1 berettas to run for that much or more. it was quite common for the 1911A1s to run greater round counts than that without problems
You've never owned a ruger or smith have you. And I was in the army for 16 years yes there are a lot of rounds put through those m9's but also it's not uncommon while qualifying to try several weapons before you get one that will shoot good enough to qualify with. And those weapons don't shoot that many many rounds with having a lot of work done to them.

Last edited by JonM; 01-11-2013 at 12:59 AM. Reason: fixed quote error

Old 01-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #40

I understand the whole torture test convo about revolvers ... Glock has some pretty amazing track records to ... I just don't care a lot for them ...