do revolvers have many issues ? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > do revolvers have many issues ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1398

Semi autos have more posssible failure modes and are MUHC more sensitive to ammo.

A quality Revolver simple will outlive you.
I used to be a glock guy but now own mostly GP100s

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 01-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #22

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Your lead-in poster must really love semi-autos - to defend them so much - and compare to revolvers - trying to bring in potential troubles. Most potential troubles with revolvers are extremely rare. He is doing you no favor by this approach.

Semi's have many failures - so much so that any gun course you take will be filled with instruction in how to deal with all the troubles - failure to feed, failure to fire, failure to eject, stove-piping, ejection troubles , action being caught and jammed with cloth.. or lint.. .It just goes on and on.

Revolvers - none of this. Yes they can fail to fire - but it would be due to cartridge malfunction - not the gun. And there is no procedure to learn to clear this failure to fire like that necessary with a semi-auto. With a revolver, you simple pull the trigger again which then goes to the next round. Not so with a semi- auto ---- it is jammed - and you've got to have the knowledge, ability and cool-headedness to be able to clear this misfire round. Not good....
Timing of the cylinder -- gimme a break.. getting this timing out of whack is so extremely rare ... would likely happen with something like a 130 year old pistol that has been rusted, but otherwise -- maybe something that had been disassembled and parts tampered with, but ..... Maybe....

Revolvers are the most reliable shooter that can be bought.
Semi-autos --- you gotta learn how to treat them and handle and clear their problems - if you don't, you are jeopardizing yourself and others.

How many news stories have you heard about accidental discharge of semi-autos. Like the minister's daughter killed in the church pew this past year during a service when a couple of teens were fooling with a semi-auto in a side room that they thought was unloaded - because they dropped the magazine was out of the gun. Opps...had a round chambered that wasn't seen. Very sad....
And some semi-auto's touchy triggers and accidental discharges - don't even want to go there.
Safeties being knocked off accidentally - or fumbled with .. or forgotten, or .....
And dirt susceptibility - semi-auto's -- awful,...
And on and on ...

The OP asked a question about the differences - because he was a little "off" semi-autos. He deserves honest discussion.

Last edited by Colby; 01-02-2013 at 07:49 AM.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #23

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You know what the biggest pain in the butt is with those darn revolvers? Every time you chamber fresh rounds, take aim, and pull the trigger; they go BANG.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #24

Liked 127 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 364

THe worst problem I ever had with a revolver was when we had a squib round.

The pressure from the primer was just enough to push the projectile into the barrel but not out of the cylinder.

Good thing too! Can you imagine the heartache of firing a fresh round into a blocked barrel?

We cleared the weapon by pushing the projectile back into the cylinder using a cleaning rod.

eldar

Old 01-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #25

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Cheap one yes.
Quality revolver, highly unlikely unless abused.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #26

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts

revolver are alot stronger then semis.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 PM   #27
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2459 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 1245

Free,

No doubt about you taking care of your guns. What I would do is call Springfield Armory at Geneseo IL. And ask for a weapon service tech. Advise the tech what your problem is and the ammunition you are using. They may want you to send it back and do some feed ramp work for you so it will feed the round you selected.
I had a Colt Gold Cup one time that would not feed Hollow Point Ammunition until I had some ramp work done on it. I also realized it was a Match Pistol and the ramp and throat was designed to shoot round ball target ammunition. Another example is I have a Kahr P-308 that will only load Federal Hydra Shock HP Ammunition if I lock the slide back and drop the slide with the Slide Lock. If I attempt to simply pull the slide back with my hand a let it go forward it will jam every time. But never failed to cycle after the initial administrative load. At the present I am using the new Hornady Critical Defense and it has no problem at all feeding this ammunition on the administrative load due to the design of the bullet feeds smoothly. The bullet design does make a difference. If you are carrying yours for Self Defense CCW I would highly recommend trying the Hornaday Critical Defense ammunition. I do not believe you will have any problems at all.
Also in closing Springfield has good customer service.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 01-02-2013 at 10:24 PM.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1136 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by clem_ View Post
revolver are alot stronger then semis.
care to elaborate on that??
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #29

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Free,

No doubt about you taking care of your guns. What I would do is call Springfield Armory at Geneseo IL. And ask for a weapon service tech. Advise the tech what your problem is and the ammunition you are using. They may want you to send it back and do some feed ramp work for you so it will feed the round you selected.
I had a Colt Gold Cup one time that would not feed Hollow Point Ammunition until I had some ramp work done on it. I also realized it was a Match Pistol and the ramp and throat was designed to shoot round ball target ammunition. Another example is I have a Kahr P-308 that will only load Federal Hydra Shock HP Ammunition if I lock the slide back and drop the slide with the Slide Lock. If I attempt to simply pull the slide back with my hand a let it go forward it will jam every time. But never failed to cycle after the initial administrative load. At the present I am using the new Hornady Critical Defense and it has no problem at all feeding this ammunition on the administrative load due to the design of the bullet feeds smoothly. The bullet design does make a difference. If you are carrying yours for Self Defense CCW I would highly recommend trying the Hornaday Critical Defense ammunition. I do not believe you will have any problems at all.
Also in closing Springfield has good customer service.

Thx ill get ahold of Springfield tommarrow and see what they say ... I love that gun I do have critacal defense in it now and it seems to work fine ..

Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1136 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetobefree View Post

Thx ill get ahold of Springfield tommarrow and see what they say ... I love that gun I do have critacal defense in it now and it seems to work fine ..
seems to be ammo issues then.. try a bunch of different brands to see what works, and what won't!
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.