Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   do revolvers have many issues ? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/do-revolvers-have-many-issues-80031/)

freetobefree 01-01-2013 10:57 PM

do revolvers have many issues ?

I'm about fed up with semi auto issues and was wondering if revolvers had many issues ... Don't really see how they could but maybe ... Idk some help plz

Sniper03 01-01-2013 11:14 PM

free,

Revolvers can also have problems. Timing, forcing cone issues, high primers and others. But in my opinion there is a lot of issues that come up casting blame on the semi-auto Pistol unfairly. I have found over the years the revolvers are certainly reliable with good maintenance and ammunition. Like wise, the semi-auto pistol is likewise reliable. Reasons they sometimes get a bad rap are:
1. Purchase of less than top quality Pistol "A rule is normally you get what you paid for unless you get a steel on a good used Revolver or Pistol from a friend or someone.
2. Not cleaning the Pistol and proper lubrication of the Pistol when it is first purchased. Some companies test fire them and box them after the test fire session.
3. Quality Ammunition. Some guys by inferior quality ammunition or low pressure ammunition and wonder why the weapon will not function the semi-auto pistol properly.
4. The purchase of after market poor quality Magazines! The number ONE cause of malfunctions in any magazine feed weapon.
5. Lack of cleaning and maintenance after the shooting session
6. Finally, Lack of understanding that they are a mechanical devise and should be inspected and parts replaced as specified by the manufacturer.

I personally have had very little problems over the years with the Revolver or any good Quality Semi-Auto- Pistol or Rifle by following the above guidelines!

So in the end it actually boiles down to your preference!

freetobefree 01-01-2013 11:25 PM

03... Thx ... I think I take care of my weapons but for some reason I have feed issues ... The XD 40 ... Seems that the blunt tip of the fmj hangs up on the ramp ... And the KT.... Yeah could be the gun I guess ... Idk just a bit frustrated

Barney1023 01-01-2013 11:58 PM

Yea in fortunately revolvers have two main issues.
1. There addictive I've bought three this last year and plan on living on Raman noodles so I can get the next.
2. There a flippin blast to shoot. And IMO so much easier to clean up after a trip to the range. Wait a sec that's not an issue lol anyway I love them.

jjfuller1 01-02-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freetobefree (Post 1075385)
03... Thx ... I think I take care of my weapons but for some reason I have feed issues ... The XD 40 ... Seems that the blunt tip of the fmj hangs up on the ramp ... And the KT.... Yeah could be the gun I guess ... Idk just a bit frustrated

both revolvers and semi's work, and break. ihave both, have shot both a lot. and have had to repair both. currently i have a revolver that is in need of some parts that broke the last time we fired. not thats its a frequent thing. but more its a mechanical thing. parts wear and break regardless of how they are put together. so both are generally good.

i have an xd 40. i think of around 2000 rnds ive had maybe one at most 2 issues involving jamming or failed firings. the one i know for sure was because my reloads were very light starting out and just not enough bang to rack the slide. after this adjustment i really cant recall ever having a problem. are the magazines good? you should try different magazines, different ammo. then if it still has issues call SA to see what they can do for ya.

the xd is one of the more reliable workhorses in the pistol scene right now.

earl1412 01-02-2013 12:17 AM

Free,
Another thing about revolvers is (depending on brand), they are not fussy about handloads. I shot bullseye competition for many years, and while my Smith 45 25-2 consistantly performed with low power indoor range softball ammo, or outdoor max loads, I never had to change springs,or add buffers, or mess with polishing feed ramps.
The other thing about revolvers is for it to function you don't have to keep a rock solid grip on it. Some shooters, myself included sometimes, will weaken their grip on an auto, causing FTE or FTF issues.
Also adding a scope/red dot to them will not cause a need to adjust recoil springs.
Don't get me wrong, I still like semi autos, but I fix things for a living, and if the gun don't work, there is plenty of info out there to find the causes, and repair therm.

gunsmoke11 01-02-2013 12:25 AM

There's no comparison where dependability is concerned between a revolver and an automatic. I've been shooting revolvers for well over 40 years with just one incident where the recoil plate(donut) fell out of an 80 year old Colt New Service and I couldn't shoot any longer. I shoot on a regular basis revolvers 120 years old without any problems. True, timing may have to be adjusted and it can spit a little. Maybe a hand after many years of shooting may get worn and have to be replaced, but I'll depend on the revolver going boom before the automatic does.

I'm a big fan of the 1911 and Sigs and even love my Glock, but the truth is the truth. Young shooters today have been brainwashed into thinking revolvers belong in the middle ages, but they would be wise to give them a second look. It's amazing what could be done with a revolver.

freetobefree 01-02-2013 12:35 AM

Thx a lot yall... I'll def look into repairs and I think it will be a good addition to add a revolver to my collection.... Earl.. what do you like to shoot best in revolvers just curious

winds-of-change 01-02-2013 12:47 AM

Buy yourself a Ruger revolver and you will break down before it does. :D

nitestalker 01-02-2013 12:47 AM

The major difference in revolvers and semiautos is marketing and profits. The semiautos can be made for less investment. Just as the military all over the world knows the semiauto learning curve is much shorter. They are easier to sell. Is there an advantage in a defensive condition? The FBI numbers show that gun fights average less than 2 rounds. ;)