Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Disappointed with my Taurus Judge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Disappointed with my Taurus Judge

First of all, I don't want this to turn into a Taurus bashing thread. There are lots of people out there with Taurus revolvers that work just fine, any company can slip up every once in a while. Sadly, Taurus warranty and customer service are non existent in Argentina.

I've had my Judge (stainless, 4" barrell) for a few weeks, but I hadn't really been able to test it. I tried some .410 ammo, and only a cylinder or two of .45 since I couldn't get my hands on any ammo and had no time to hit the range.

Anyway, I went shooting today and took it along. I was well stocked with a couple of boxes of .45 LC (Magtech Cowboy Action and regular Magtech) and .410 (a box of #3 shot and a box of buckshot).

I started with the cowboy loads and the target at five meters, shooting quickly in DA I got some decent groups. The sights were easy to pick up and with those mild loads recoil was non existent.

I moved the target back to the ten meter line, and the groups open up a lot. At first I thought it could be me, I get excited when the shooting's going well and I screw up. However, even though I'm very much an average shooter, double action revolvers are what I handle best and even on my worst days I'm pretty consistent. I tried firing single action and the groups were still far from acceptable.

To make matters worse, the cylinder started to jam. I'd get one shot off, and then it would stick and stop turning. This was really frustrating, just thinking about this happening in a self defense situation made me shiver. This happened after firing less than 40 shots of mild cowboy action loads.

I didn't even bother trying to fire it at 15 meters. After I'm done cleaning it up I'm going to take it back to the guns store and either sell it or exchange it for something else. I've been meaning to expand my snubbie collection, this might be a good chance for a new Smith or Ruger. Or perhaps one of those cute little NAA mini revolvers.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That sucks. However, a new revolver will probably make you feel better.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-24-2009, 12:40 AM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Sorry to hear but I'm not surprised. Taurus QC is a crap shoot and a lot of lemons get through - I've had more than one. They do make good guns but I prefer not to roll the dice in hopes I get a good one...

Old 09-24-2009, 12:53 AM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

That sucks bro.

Hope you get somthing that works better.

Old 09-24-2009, 01:30 AM   #5

Sorry to hear that, but I can sympathize. I did the exact same thing with my judge. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Good luck on the next purchase.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 09-24-2009, 01:36 AM   #6

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I know the feeling. I will pray to the gun God on your behalf. I'm saddened Taurus has gone this way in their production. Good Luck and keep us posted!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:13 AM   #7
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 248 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 718

you cant get a judge in california from what im told, so i'll never get to try one.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:32 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The frame cracked. There's a fracture that starts right under the forcing cone. Now I'm pissed off.

I fired less than a box of freaking cowboy action loads! Thank God I didn't try any stronger stuff. I'm taking it to the gun shop tomorrow.

No more Taurus products for me, thank you very much. Innacurate is one thing, but this is too much.

I'm sorry about the bad pic. It's a difficult angle, my camera is quite crappy and it's 2:30am. I drew a red line around the fracture.

(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 09-24-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Man that sucks! I've had mixed luck with Taurus fire arms but I've never had a cracked frame.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just took it to the gun shop, they assured me that I would either get a new gun or my money back. It will probably take a few days to hear back from the Taurus importer, but I've been buying from this shop for a while, and one of my best friends works there, so their word is enough to put my mind at ease.

If the Taurus distributor sends a new Judge, I'm going to put it up for sale without even opening the bloody box.

(canto XII, st. 6)