Differences between Ruger New Vaquero & Colt SAA???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Differences between Ruger New Vaquero & Colt SAA???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Differences between Ruger New Vaquero & Colt SAA???

Alright, first off i couldnt find a similar post anywhere so if there is already one, my bad. Ok, now onto the question: Is there a differance between a Colt SAA .45LC 5.5" and a Ruger New Vaquero .45LC 5.5" aside from the price differance and the obvious finish quality (I.E. Blued/Color-Case)? Has anyone had any issues with one that would be a deal breaker over the other? or any Performance Issues that would justify buying one instead of the other? basically i want to get The Ruger "New" Vaquero because its alot cheaper cash wise then the SAA, but i was always taught growing up that you get what you pay for and have learned that lesson the hard way many times. Also is there a huge differance in size between the "New" Vaquero and the Colt SAA? any insight and advice would be greatly appriciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

You are still getting a very high quality firearm in the Ruger. I don't know the specific defferences between the two.

I have shot the Ruger a long time ago other than I loved it, but I couldn't compair the two. If you can go to a sore and ask to see them both.

Some of the COLT one is going to be the name and the Horse.

Old 01-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #3

Liked 90 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The Ruger is a vastly stronger revolver and the action lockwork is totally different from the Colt. The Ruger is a very fine revolver and will last a lifetime, usually without any required work or repairs.

The Colt however, is a fine revolver also. A lot more expensive. The action is and always has been rather fragile. Depending on how it is used, if heavy and abusive like in cowboy action shooting, keep a lot of triggers, hammers,cylinder bolts and hands on hand to be fitted when needed. You will need them. Other than that, there is nothing like a real Colt.............................................. .

Jim........................

Old 01-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #4

The most important difference in the two is that the Ruger uses a non-traditional mechanism as opposed to the Colt. Being a purist, I don't like the fact that the gun will free the cylinder by merely opening the loading gate. I like to pull back the hammer to the first click and then open the loading gate. Trivial, perhaps, but give me a traditional single action any day. BTW-I prefer the GI style .45 autos as opposed to the tricked out "tactical" .45s too.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #5

Default Difference between Colt SAA and Ruger New Vaquero

Hi;

Sorry for the late reply but I just joined this forum.

I own both the New Vaqueros (a polished stainless pair in the new SASS configuration) and a few Colt SAA's. The difference (and I don't mean to sound coy here) is that one's a Colt and the other is a Ruger. It would depend entirely on the use for which you intend to use it for. If it's a Colt SAA it's likely going to cost you more because anything with "Colt" on it these days is getting pricey. Also, they are a specifically collected gun for historial and other reasons. The Ruger on the other hand, although quite collectible, is a great Cowboy Action gun (so is the Colt of course) and is a great shooter too. The Ruger (in my opinion) is also a bit stronger than the Colt SAA and if you're going to shoot anything but standard/factory loads you should go with the Ruger.

All that being said, they are both pretty much identical in look and feel. They weigh about the same, are about the same size, and both are of exceptional quality. The difference internally is a transfer bar in the Ruger and only two hammer positions, fully back and all the way down. The Colt, on te other hand has the traditional four positions.

With regard to "getting what you paid for". Whether you buy the Colt, or the Ruger New Vaquero, you will indeed get what you pay for, in spades, all round. Both are extremely fine guns and I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Ruger instead of a Colt if it was just a simple matter of wanting to save a few dollars.

I hope that answers your question.

Bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger45 View Post
Alright, first off i couldnt find a similar post anywhere so if there is already one, my bad. Ok, now onto the question: Is there a differance between a Colt SAA .45LC 5.5" and a Ruger New Vaquero .45LC 5.5" aside from the price differance and the obvious finish quality (I.E. Blued/Color-Case)? Has anyone had any issues with one that would be a deal breaker over the other? or any Performance Issues that would justify buying one instead of the other? basically i want to get The Ruger "New" Vaquero because its alot cheaper cash wise then the SAA, but i was always taught growing up that you get what you pay for and have learned that lesson the hard way many times. Also is there a huge differance in size between the "New" Vaquero and the Colt SAA? any insight and advice would be greatly appriciated.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #6

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I guess I'm too much of a purist. I can't deal with the Ruger lock work.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #7

Default Purist?

Well then, it appears I misunderstood your question. I thought you wanted to know the difference between the Ruger and the Colt.

Matchlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
I guess I'm too much of a purist. I can't deal with the Ruger lock work.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:39 AM   #8

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock View Post
Well then, it appears I misunderstood your question. I thought you wanted to know the difference between the Ruger and the Colt.

Matchlock.
I didn't have a question. I just made a comment. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers with it.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:47 AM   #9

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchlock View Post

Matchlock, Hawg wasn't the OP.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-24-2010, 12:54 PM   #10

Default Apologies

You're absolutely right, and I'm sorry about that. I should have looked more carefully at the post before I replied. Thank you for pointing that out.

To Hawg....... no feathers ruffled, just wondering, why that reply. However, as it's been pointed out to me, I'm a Dork. Funny, I could have sworn I learned how to read years ago. Apparently I failed that class.

Thanks guys, and once again my apologies for answering the wrong poster.

Matchlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Matchlock, Hawg wasn't the OP.