Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Dan wesson revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dan wesson revolver

Ive got one never seen another dan wesson around mines got a 7 1/2 inch barrel .357 magnum/38 special double single action 6 shot swing out cylinder . Are these rare? Whats the value of mine?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #2

Liked 211 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Rare?? Somewhat. Just not common. Prices for a nice 14 or 15 series can run from 350 to 450. And there are pistol packs. Where was yours made? Monson mass. or Palmer. And does it have adjustable sights. Have you been to the Dan Wesson Forum yet? Most anything you want to know will be there. You do know own one of the most accurate revolovers ever made and IF yours does not have the pork chop barrel shroud or a fixed barrel you can still buy many different barrels for it. CZ still works on them and EWK makes barrels & shrouds, springs, sights and wrenchs. There are some fine custom grips at the DW forum. Theres a photo of 2 of mine DW's. A 44 mag with 8" barrel and a 15-2 with a 4" barrel.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:59 PM   #3

Liked 258 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Nice . post some pics dude . Check mine out last set of pics on this page http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/thinking-about-357-a-50803/index4.html

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
Nice . post some pics dude . Check mine out last set of pics on this page http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/thinking-about-357-a-50803/index4.html
And as far as value I wouldn't take a penny less than 550 for the gun ONLY regardless of what the estimated value is or what theyre selling for on gunbroker.

Speaking of which why are colt pythons so much money?

Dans are so much more evolved , including innovations you just dont see on any other revolver.

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2583 Times on 1294 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Speaking of which why are colt pythons so much money?
Dans are so much more evolved , including innovations you just dont see on any other revolver.
I have both. The DW is a fantastic revolver, but it's no Python.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 11-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I have both. The DW is a fantastic revolver, but it's no Python.
Ok so explain it to me? Dan is more accurate , interchangable barrels . I mean what exactly makes a colt python the holy veiled piece of metal it is?

Old 11-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Ok so explain it to me? Dan is more accurate , interchangable barrels . I mean what exactly makes a colt python the holy veiled piece of metal it is?
BUMP for answer?

Old 11-10-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I wouldn't say the DW is more accurate. I would say that it's too close to call. Both the Colt & the DW I own were Silhouette guns through the 80's. Accuracy of both was never in question. Ammo preference and operator skill were larger factors.
The interchangeable barrel option was more theoretical than useful with mine. My Father ordered the DW Pistol pack in 1981. After a bit of playing around with the various lengths, the 8" went on for Silhouette and, to my knowledge, has remained on ever since. The rest of the barrels in the Pistol Pack probably have less than 50 rds fired through them. Ironically, the Python I own started it's existance as a 6" model in 1965. At some point in the mid- to late 80's (I was out of the house at this point), my father had it fitted with an 8" "Python Silhouette" Barrel. I have the original 6" barrel stored in the safe along side the gun.
My original statement was not a slam on Dan Wessons. I'm sure with a good action job, you could get the actions comparable, or maybe even get the DW better. Stock vs. stock, single action may be close. Double action? Not so much. Yeah sure, old Colt's stack some. But they are so smooth you really don't care.
Fit & finish- sorry, but a well done Colt is very hard to beat. Not to sound like a jerk, but the DW simply isn't as pretty, IMHO
Durability - Many people talk about the delicate/fragile actions on the Colts. On a gun that's older than I am, AFAIK,the only work was a new hand, done some years back (early 80's) and a new mainspring done last year. My father carried it for years a a LEO and shot a number of PPC matches with it. It was a working gun. That said DW's are a simpler more modern & more robust design. But not impervious to wear. I did find some paperwork on mine that showed it going back to the factory for a cylinder gap (not even top to bottom) and timing issue in the mid-80's.

It's like comparing a Chevy to a Cadillac. Nothing wrong with a Chevy, but even loaded, it ain't a Caddie.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 11-10-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
I wouldn't say the DW is more accurate. I would say that it's too close to call. Both the Colt & the DW I own were Silhouette guns through the 80's. Accuracy of both was never in question. Ammo preference and operator skill were larger factors.
The interchangeable barrel option was more theoretical than useful with mine. My Father ordered the DW Pistol pack in 1981. After a bit of playing around with the various lengths, the 8" went on for Silhouette and, to my knowledge, has remained on ever since. The rest of the barrels in the Pistol Pack probably have less than 50 rds fired through them. Ironically, the Python I own started it's existance as a 6" model in 1965. At some point in the mid- to late 80's (I was out of the house at this point), my father had it fitted with an 8" "Python Silhouette" Barrel. I have the original 6" barrel stored in the safe along side the gun.
My original statement was not a slam on Dan Wessons. I'm sure with a good action job, you could get the actions comparable, or maybe even get the DW better. Stock vs. stock, single action may be close. Double action? Not so much. Yeah sure, old Colt's stack some. But they are so smooth you really don't care.
Fit & finish- sorry, but a well done Colt is very hard to beat. Not to sound like a jerk, but the DW simply isn't as pretty, IMHO
Durability - Many people talk about the delicate/fragile actions on the Colts. On a gun that's older than I am, AFAIK,the only work was a new hand, done some years back (early 80's) and a new mainspring done last year. My father carried it for years a a LEO and shot a number of PPC matches with it. It was a working gun. That said DW's are a simpler more modern & more robust design. But not impervious to wear. I did find some paperwork on mine that showed it going back to the factory for a cylinder gap (not even top to bottom) and timing issue in the mid-80's.

It's like comparing a Chevy to a Cadillac. Nothing wrong with a Chevy, but even loaded, it ain't a Caddie.
See in MY humble opinion NOTHING you just told me about the colt makes it a caddy.

Dan has less smaller parts in the action less to break , a simple er design IS the most accurate revolver ever made. Im sorry we'll just agree to disagree I really dont see what makes a colt a better gun or *worth* 1200 as compared to a 400$ dan wesson except for the name of colt ONLY.

Which theres absolutely nothing wrong with colt they make a good gun but i just see no reason for the mystique of a python and I think the Dan is a better built gun with way more features and innovations than the Colt and is just an all around superior gun

Old 11-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Fair enough.
I will agree that the money Colts go for is a bit nuts. But if they weren't high quality guns, they'd be a lot cheaper.
Have you shot one? There really is a feel that is hard to explain.

Also:
Apologies for the hijacking of this thread.

NRA Life Member

Milton Friedman