Dan Wesson "Pistol Pack"?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Dan Wesson "Pistol Pack"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Dan Wesson "Pistol Pack"?

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get one of these, how much they run for, and does anyone own one?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-14-2007, 01:06 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Dan Wesson Pistol pack"?

Hello all

Ron L here = Seresurplus

I've owned a few of these as well as a few other Dan Wesson Revolvers, They were OK, but not an Item I'd Look too hard for? You could Do just as well, if not Better with a Used S & W or Taurus 357, Better sites, Trigger, quality of materials! The last time I saw one at a Local show the Dealer that had one, wanted near $500+ for his, with 3 Barrels and Revolver in Less than Wonderful shape! You can find them, but they will not be cheap and I wonder if they are worth the $ or the hunt? Just my thoughts?

RON

Old 05-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivalnut View Post
I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get one of these, how much they run for, and does anyone own one?
I've had a Dan wesson kit gun and used it alot, never had a bit of trouble with it, my only complaint was with the controls, being a firearms training officer on a municipal PD that was equiped with S&W's it was a bit confusing at times making the transition, the S&W has the cylinder latch in a different possition than does the Dan Wesson, so I finally quit trying to confuse myself and sold it off.

I did see one at a local gun shop this week, it's in like new condition, .357mag., it includes the frame, two sets of grips, and barrels include the 2/12", 4", 6" , and 8" set, asking price was about $850.00.

Considering the cost of most new S&W revolvers today, that's not a bad deal.

I just picked up a 99% S&W 4" Mod. 19-4, with the Pinned barrel/ recessed cylinder
and was glad to get it for $400.00 + tx.

Last edited by Moe M.; 05-17-2007 at 12:27 PM.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:00 AM   #4

Default Dan Wesson Pistol Pack

I had a early 80's Model .357 pistol pack. All 4 Barrels, Came in a killer Brief case with storage compartments for the little tools and everything! I was even able to call Wesson firearms just to ask some generalities about the Pack and they not only sent me all new owners manuls even a certificate with exact date the gun was made and everything! its a solid piece of hardware! I am looking for one myself!!! I truly regret letting that thing go!! I picked it up at a pawn shop for $300.00 used to extensively for 4 years and was able to resell it for $650.00!!!! (I take REAL good care of mytoys!!)
So in my humble opinion, GET OFF YOUR ASS AND GET ONE BOY!!! LOL I know I am!!! Your buddy O~

Old 05-31-2007, 04:57 PM   #5

I have one in stainless and a 6" barrel and it just sits in my safe. It seems accurate enough but the cylinder timing has gone south the cylinder does'nt always lock into place before the hammer falls, it stops just short of the lock so I need to get it fixed, it's not safe to shoot right now. Also, i'm not that impressed with the action even after stoning it.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:26 AM   #6

I have four pistol packs which two are still new.A 357 blue and 22 blue. The stainless 357 and 44 mag. has been shot quite often. I enjoy the different size barrels and it actually doesnt take any time to change barrels. I personally haven't had any problems. I also probably only shoot 6 to 8 times a year.I do prefer them over the taurus and rugers

Old 01-03-2008, 02:54 AM   #7

Survivalnut -

I was recently looking into these. Dan Wesson revolvers have terrific reputations for durability and accuracy, and the interchangibility (sp?) of barrel lengths made this an intriguing option for me. But then I thought about it and wondered how often I'd shoot a 2" or 4" barrel (I do target shooting exclusively, except for some varmint shooting I hope to get into soon--javelina in Arizona: BEWARE!!) I saw one complete-looking set being offered on GA for $1500!!. What??!! A local gun shop in Arizona has a so-so looking set in .357 for just over $1,000. Clearly, there are many attractive options in .357 for under $1,000. So you have to ask yourself whether you'd really use the different barrel lengths (which you might if you do the CCW thing and also target shoot). And then there is the issue of obtaining parts you may need in the future with regard to a company which never was a big consumer hit to begin with (unfairly, it seems to me) and no longer exists.

This isn't intended to be a negative answer--just a list of considerations to contemplate. If you can get a good deal, I'd go for it. I've never been reluctant to go for good quality things which never obtained consumer popularity for whatever reason. Of course, when I went to sell them, I'd get killed....but that's another story.

Dave

...so many calibers, so little time...

Old 01-26-2008, 05:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivalnut View Post
does anyone own one?
I have a model 715, which wasn't purchased as a "Pistol Pack" but I've obtained several barrels and shrouds for it over the years. Mine is a late "Monson" production piece and I've owned it since the mid 80's. I purchased most of my extra barrels from a gun show vendor who was an employee at the Monson factory. Back in their heyday, these guns were highly rated by top competition sillouette shooters and brought home many trophies. The interchangeable barrel system made them inherrently accurate because of the way the attachment system stressed the barrel from each end. The heavy hammer spring and short hammer throw made for quick lock time and the frame stud made it a perfect candidate for any type of custom grips you could imagine. These were really good guns, but they didn't catch on too well with the avearge Joe. Financial problems forced them to move production from Monson to Palmer (Mass) and then the quality started to suffer. It was mostly downhill from there. They went belly-up and disappeared for many years. Last I heard the name, designs and patents were bought by another company and they're making them again now in N.Y.. I believe they also market a 1911 under the Dan Wesson name now too. I haven't seen any of the new production guns so I can't comment on them, but if you're looking for an older one, make sure it was made in Monson Mass., NOT Palmer.
These were made in several calibers, .22, .38 Special, .357, .44mag and some were also made in .445 SuperMag. These SuperMag models are quite rare and desireable with collectors, and handgun hunters especially like these ones too

"Stupidity is the most plentiful element in the universe"
.................................................. .....Frank Zappa

Old 01-26-2008, 08:46 PM   #9

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

I just bought a .22 with 6 & 8 inch barrels on Gunbroker. My Dad had a .357 pistol pack and it was the finest shooting revolver I ever tried. The trade name was bought by CZ and they support all the older guns so parts are readily available. As said in a previous post, you certainly want a Monson gun versus a Palmer gun as quality did suffer with the Palmer editions...

Old 01-28-2008, 03:43 AM   #10

I kind of wish I had the pistol pack. I currently have a Model 14-2 in .357 Mag with a 4" barrel. I got it from a pawn shop back in 1986. I had checked several places looking for barrels, but the Model 14 seemed to harder to find than the Model 15 or 715.