Dan Wesson Model 15 vs. Ruger GP-100? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Dan Wesson Model 15 vs. Ruger GP-100?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 331 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 36

headhunter You said " It was a nice revolver with a Safety if in a different place" ?? !! Safety ?? No safety back then. Yes there differnrent but larger and heavier than a equaly barrel k frame. very much like a L frame in size and weight Just stronger. Grips can be of almost any design as they mount of a post like some rugers copied. If you have a ruger , keep it for sure. But not many ruger and S&W will out shoot a DW as to many silhouette matchs have proven, I was able to shoot 3" 100 yards groups with my old 357 and my newer 44 mag will do the same and both are late 1970's revolvers

Atleast with a DW if all you want is a trail gun with a 2 to 4" barrel and small grip it only takes a 4 minutes to change barrels from a longer 8 or 10" hunting barrel and shroud and to change from a larger grip to a small service sized grip. Can't be done with any other brand.
headhunter Likes This 
Old 12-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 60

headhunter You said " It was a nice revolver with a Safety if in a different place" ?? !! Safety ??

Sorry, senior moment. What I meant to say was cylinder release latch. The DW had it in front of the cylinder as opposed to Smith and Colt being behind the cylinder.
By the late sixties and early seventies didn't they all have internal safeties (Colt and Ruger with their transfer bar systems and Smith with its hammer block system. Not sure about DW.)?

Old 12-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #33

One thing I think most of us will agree on: every time we trade or sell a revolver or automatic we end up regretting it. The other thing - you can never have too many.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #34

Liked 263 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Adjustable sights , threaded barrel that can accept birdcage style flash hider , go from a 2 1/2 slabside barrel to a 8" in under a minute / match chamber out the box and they are just damn cool .

Old 12-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #35

Default Slab Sided Version

The slab sided barrels and shrouds coming out of EWK are just awesome. These are really extra heavy weight! They look great and raise a lot of eyebrows on the range. I took this from EWKs web page showing the 2.5' version. You can also mount a scope on the longer versions.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1460 Times on 1024 Posts
Likes Given: 273

gello, I have a Dan Wesson 715 VHB with a 6" & 2" barrel I bought new in 1989 for the sum of $290. I didn't get the pistol pack but ordered it with the 6" and picked up the 2" somewhere later on. I didn't read every post in the thread so I might just be repeating what someone else has already said but I bought mine because I had read how accurate they are. Dan Wesson's were used a lot in metallic silhouette matches because of that. Where the barrel on most revolvers just hang out there in front of the gun, the DW barrel is screwed into the frame and then the shroud is slid over it and the barrel nut tightened pulling the barrel holding it under stress. Also you can set the cylinder gap as tight as you want or adjust it a little one way or the other to see if it shoots better set at one place or the other. Plus I didn't have one.
img_1417.jpg   img_1419.jpg  

Gun confiscation will not happen in my lifetime.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." C.S. Lewis

Old 12-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #37

Liked 263 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc8098 View Post
The slab sided barrels and shrouds coming out of EWK are just awesome. These are really extra heavy weight! They look great and raise a lot of eyebrows on the range. I took this from EWKs web page showing the 2.5' version. You can also mount a scope on the longer versions.

I had the same barrel with the EWK flash hider at the end and the green EWK FO front sight . it looked so gnarly .nice piece
dw.jpg  

Last edited by Gh0zt36; 12-20-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Old 12-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #38

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by regload View Post
The OP was referring to revolvers of previous vintage, according to his reference to gunbroker, etc. I never had or shot one, BUT, my BIL says that his brother had one, and it was the LEAST accurate of any revolver he ever tried. He couldn't stand the piece.
I'd be willing to bet it either had excessive barrel gap or the muzzle nut wasn't tightened to spec. Excessive barrel gap will destroy the accuracy of any revolver, not to mention causing other problems. If the muzzle nut isn't tightened to spec, the barrel can rotate inside the shroud and that too will destroy accuracy.
BTW, one advantage the Dan Wesson has that no other revolver can match is that not only can you change barrels, you can change barrel twist rates as well. EWK' s barrels are 1:12 and very good for heavy cast bullets. Light 110gr and 125gr bullets at full power don't need to spin that fast; a 1:18 or even 1:20 will work and you'll gain some velocity. Twist rates of barrel blanks currently available in this caliber run from 1:10 to 1:20 and turning a DW barrel isn't difficult at all.

Last edited by crossfire; 12-20-2013 at 11:45 AM.